The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door corner update

Here is a clear view of the new corner getting ready to be added to the pickup door . At this point the new skin is about 1/8th taller than stock . The door will fit like this but I am going to knock it down to the original dimension and trim the inner door by the required amount . I am adding the new metal in 2 sections. This is done in an effort to make fitting easier.
    I think I have figured out how to get the door handles to work . The only thing I have not managed to do is get the inside and outside door handle to work independently . Model T door handles did not work independently . At least not on the ones I had access to .

Bruce
    Attached Files

Comment

• North West Fabs Black Box

2.72 to 1 and 1 to 1 ratio . Add this to the NP205 transfercase 1 to 1.98 ratio and I have 4 speeds in the transfer case . Or about 20 possible gear ratios . I do not think I will be using some of them of them. The crawl ratio is way down around 152 to 1 .

The unit is very nicely made and a few hundred dollars cheaper than a Klune .

I can not wait to report what this works like . I am hoping to be mobile in 12 months .

Bruce
      Attached Files

Comment

• Hey Bruce,
        Nice work on the door, very impressive. I'm looking forward to reading all about it in a future issue of the PWA.
        My current project has come to a screeching halt because of all the other projects that are more important at the moment. Like helping my boys build go-carts and that sort of thing.

Comment

• progress of a sort

I have spent a few days machining up my bearing puller . I have tested it a few times and am more than pleased with how well it functions . My only expense was a ten dollar bolt for the main screw . The basic function traps the cup and cone together and pulls them out as a unit . This makes it possible to remove the carrier bearings without destroying them . So I am about to tackle the rear end gear set up starting tomorrow . Work , hiking and a few searches have chewed into building time .
          I have not touched the door in about 3 weeks . I plan on tackling that issue as soon as the gears are in . I want a rolling chassis by june . The spring rates and shock set up along with the steering will not get done by then .
          Still waiting for a 4bt to fall out of the sky .

Bruce

hey Jake you should tool up and make my new clamshell bearing puller .

Comment

• Hey BC Bruce:

At least your STILL making some progress. We're still waiting for the weather to break enough to start back up again. I also just gave Maynard an ultimatum and am waiting for his answer. No matter how much I don't like to admit it, I am no longer able to do a lot of things I once was, and he needs to take up the slack as we're not rich and can't afford to be farming the work out to others for pay.

I have tools and knowledge. I don't have space or ability. The space, well, we need to work on that (it IS on the immediate agenda). As for the ability, well, I have only so much I can do, period. There ain't no more. When I inform him of any work or project, his eyes roll up in the back of his head, he snorts and mumbles under his breath.

When that happens, I shut down and no longer want to continue. If I want grief, all I have to do is open my door and step outside. I know it's an age thing as he's about to turn 15. He always claims he WANTS to continue, but now it's time for him to stand and deliver. He was supposed to give me an answer yesterday when he got home from school, but of course he carefully avoided the subject (boy, did I teach him well).

Anywho, we've been havin monsoons here in Uggville, so we still have to wait. It's supposed to get nice this weekend and the temps are supposed to hit the 80's, so we'll see. Also, he has an early day today, so I'll be able to nail him on his answer. HA! Wish me luck.

Later
            Ugg

Comment

• Hey Bruce,

Send me the tool when you are done with it and maybe we can work it out as a partnership deal. We produce it and you collect the inventors royalty?
              Can I send my truck to your shop for about a year? I haven't had time to work on it for about six months now, I had a running injury and a tractor that gave up the ghost and is now in pieces waiting for the rebuild on the engine.

Comment

• Me , take on another truck ?

My time is so tight now that sqeezing in another vehicle would be down right silly . It is just me , myself and I trying to make some headway and there are days that I want to chuck the whole thing in . Piecing a vehicle together is not the best way to go and is worth discussing in a future post.
                I may be able to help in some way Jake but I need a few months to get my act together . One of my goals is to clean out the school shop . Ditto with the home one . After that I will stand back and figure out what we are up to .
                Good luck Ugg . Youth is wasted on kids . Just be thankful your kid is not auhtistic . Mine is and saying things are tough is putting it mildly . But there is a bright side he has his own 4x4 and is destroying it on a weekly basis . He and his friends are now dropping by to ask for help with their 4x4s . He now grudgingly admits that the willies that I was willing to buy plus a late model truck drivline would have been much stronger and cheaper than his jeep .

Jake I will do just that with the puller . I may drop buy this summer for a visit and we can swap war stories .

I am working on the WC today . I will get in 2 hours . Force myself to put in 2 hours <ggg>

Bruce

Comment

• Sounds like a great idea Bruce,
                  I am only kidding about sending my project truck your way, it would be to easy for me and not fair to you. :) I am almost ready to get the frame, wheels and axles sand blasted and epoxy primed.
                  I am looking for a good set of Non directional Military Tires for the truck in case somebody knows where I can buy or horse trade for a set.
                  I;ve got a whole row of Power Wagons lined up behind my shop and will probably
                  end up selling them after I get mine done. They might be worth something by that time???

Comment

• Midwest military has carryall seats

Worth considering if you are doing a full resto .
                    Midwest has had 3 Carryalls for sale over the last year .
                    Interesting little problem measuring shims . Many of the shims read ..0035 or fractional numbers like .0031 . I would think the shims would be made in thousands .001 , .002 , .003 and so on .
                    I checked with a coupleof diferent mikes and got the same reading . Weird . This makes doing the calculations a bit tough. Do I round up and down to the thousandth or do I include the ten thousands too ? I love these little screw ups.
                    Got some work to finish and my daughter has agreed to wip up an article for Gordon .
                    Hey Jake do you have a line on anyone making metal stamps ? It used to be possible to get one made that would contain your name and other data .
                    I would like to leave a mark on most of the major components of the WC53.

Comment

• Jake:

Try Genesco in Texas (you can even do a search here for their address). They used to sell used military NDT tires, and also used NATO NDT's (IMO, the way to go). Very resonable pricewise too. Good people to deal with too.

Later
                      Ugg

Comment

• Thanks for the info Ugg,
                        I'll look them up and see what they have in terms of NDT'S. Do you happen to know the specs on the original tires for a 54 PW?

Comment

• Jake:

I assume it's the same tire they've been usin since forever, the 9:00 X 16's. They are an 8 ply tire though, and the NATO NDT's are 10 plys. They look pretty much the same except for the grooves cut in to limit the hydroplaning. I'd love to get a hold of a set of the military flaps for the tubes though. I think that was the original "Run Flat" tire set up. HA! Paul Cook has some GREAT info on that.

Later
                          Ugg
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Ugg013 View Post
                            Jake:

I assume it's the same tire they've been using since forever, the 9:00 X 16's. They are an 8 ply tire though, and the NATO NDT's are 10 plys. They look pretty much the same except for the grooves cut in to limit the hydroplaning. I'd love to get a hold of a set of the military flaps for the tubes though. I think that was the original "Run Flat" tire set up. HA! Paul Cook has some GREAT info on that.

Later
                            Ugg
                            In the 60's, I had a Carryall that was in mint condition, of course it was only 24 years old then! The NDT's on it said "Combat-22Ply Steel" I still remember that as clear as a bell. We drove for two weeks with a flat tire and didn't know it!...= ) I found a piece of shrapnel in that tire, a 1/4" in diameter and 4 inches long, nothing stopped those tires, you might say they were "run flats" they were too hard to deflect! ha!ha!
                            Any historical info on a tire like that Ugg?

Comment

• Hi Norm:

Not a stich. Wish I did as that's neat. Maybe Paul Cook has more info on that. That photo I posted was stol, er, borrowed from him. I guess that's another item that goes under the "They Don't Make Em Like They Used To" group. HA!

Later
                              Ugg

Comment

• Running on flat tires

Originally posted by MoparNorm View Post
                                In the 60's, I had a Carryall that was in mint condition, of course it was only 24 years old then! The NDT's on it said "Combat-22Ply Steel" I still remember that as clear as a bell. We drove for two weeks with a flat tire and didn't know it!...= )
                                Norm: Same story. When I got the Carryall in 1970 I spent 3 months getting it running, painting it and then started driving it. Never thought to check the air in the tires until one night the bouncing got so bad with all the guys I was hauling around they started complaining so we checked the tires. I think all four needed air. In December of 1970 I got four new tires and the Goodyear dealer took the tires off the combat rims. He had a heck of a time getting the bead locks out and we only got three back. He told my dad the fourth one is up in rafters. It didn't come down. I don't know if the story is true but it sounds good. Pictured is the only one left because mom used it for flowers in the yard.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X