The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That did not work.

Master cylinder still leaks. Perhaps not as much as before but it should not leak at all. The seal is a Bendix unit, so I can not blame the leak on after market parts.
    The only option for this MC left would be to pull the unit, turn it upside down and sand it flat on a level surface. I am not sure if the surface was dead flat if it would seal any better. If I have to remove the thing it almost makes more sense to replace it with a newer style unit.

Comment

• After watching you battle yours, my plan is to build a cover that has two or more lock down attachments to help hold the seal surface tight. Even if it means riveting some tabs on the side of the housing and them making a heavy gage retainer ring and using that to bolt down the metal cap. Or use the seal and just have a custom cap machined from billet or something. Is there a bellow that could be installed to help keep the sloshing fluid from moving as much?
      1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

• Bellows for MC

I wondered the same thing. They fill racing tanks with foam, why not a master cylinder? An aluminum top and flat sanded top might be enough to get the thing to seal. But I see Dan Mininger over at Precision Power Wagons has built a lot of these trucks and seems to have used a lot of different style MC units. If I went to one of those newer MCs and it did not leak with green or black paint, it would blend right in.....that is my hope.
        Just wait until I fill you in on why NOT to buy new old stock Michelin tires.....

Comment

• 2 newly found WC-53's 1 will be for sale or parted

Hi all,
          Just picked up a pretty nice barn find carryall last week here in Washington state. Don't know how to post pics here, or I would. I'm a previous '53 owner. I bought one in about 1974 for $500. Went completely through it, and drove it till I stupidly sold it in about '98 or 99. Massive mistake! Now I'm thrilled to own a carryall again.
          I also just brought home on Fri., a second truck that I would like to sell to anyone needing a parts rig. Unfortunately, it didn't have what I needed for my truck. My truck has a small area of cancer in the belt line, halfway down the pass side. I need a patch panel about 8"-10" long and 6"-8" wide, to fix it. I really don't want to cut the body for the panel. Hoping somebody has a hopeless derelict body laying around, that can be cut for my patch. The parts truck has the upper and lower gates, and all latching gear. Bottom is not in the best shape, top is quite good. All 4 hinges are there also. Both axles and T-case are there. Both rear fenders there. I have a clear title and can help load on your trailer. I'm asking 1,500 bucks. If you have parts I need, the price goes down. I will send pics to any serious party. If I have to part it out, and ship parts, I will, but the prices will be higher to cover labor and shipping. Would rather sell it as is.....I can be reached at 360-679-6608 or dodgebo@comcast.net Thanks, Mark

Comment

• Patch panel

There are a lot of doors around with rotted bottoms. Could you make a patch from the top half belt line area of a door?
            If you part out that Carryall i would love to get my hands on the bottom tailgate. But at 1500 I suspect the WC will sell.
            To post pictures click on the paperclip in the header section - this is to the right of the Fonts Sizes message.
            Welcome aboard.

Bruce

Comment

• With the use of a spoiler die on a bead roller, a new piece of belt line can easily be re-produced. I will be doing it for a patch portion on my Carryall when I go to finish up the rest of my body work later this summer. I'm on the wrong side of the country, otherwise I'd be making you the new patch panel you need and buying that Carryall from you in a heartbeat.

Comment

• Went to a military vehicle meet over the weekend hoping to see if there were any Carryalls there and maybe a lead to get one. A 53 and a 26 were there so was great to see one in the flesh. Of the 53's, there are only 6 in the whole of Australia! Only two of those one the road.

Here are some shots I took.

This WC26 was restored in the US. The owner was tragically killed when pulling a truck or tractor out of a bog and the strap mounting point gave way and it flung straight through the air and hit him in the back of the head!

Comment

• This WC53 was privately imported along with a spares truck but both will return to the road. They were just a pile of parts when bought and he knocked back $30,000 AUD for it at the meet he said!

My dog thought it was good for shade! ;)

Comment

• My wife loves it and still wants me to build one! Wont be at those prices over here.

Comment

• WC26 and WC53 photos

Most excellent photos. Both vehicles look fantastic. Although I have always preferred the 3/4 tons over the 1/2 tons, I will admit that I really love the paint on that particular WC26. The Navy colors wear well on the Carryalls and I am surprised how much I like this glossy version. Thanks for posting these.
                      David

Comment

• Marks second WC53 purchase

Rough and ready for a full restoration. Lots of good stuff here.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• And the view from the front

Check out the front spring pack. Must have had a hemi in it. Either that or a huge overweight wench on the front. One of those BBBW wenches. Looks like it needs the front floor replaced. perfect candidate for a Restomod, a nice ISB 4 banger, Alison, twin transfers on modern axles.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• WC-53 pics

Thanks for posting those pics, Bruce! I appreciate it!

Comment

• Started on my "bump" for the cylinder head for the firewall. Nothing fancy. Am trying to think of a bead pattern to put in the lower flat spot though, just because it looks way too blank.

Comment

• Originally posted by onetonwagon View Post
                                Thanks for posting those pics, Bruce! I appreciate it!

I still can't stop thinking about your Carryall. Anyone near by got some doors for sale, even with rusted out bottoms, to go with this?

Comment

Working...
                                X