The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• updates and outtakes

Still have issues with water leaks. I am going to change three more hose clamps to the T bolt style. Also am going to trim one hose in an effort to get a bit more clearance for the rad. Either that or attempt to move the rad forward a little bit.
    Another issue is a small oil leak. It may be from the Power steering to block gasket.
    The truck blows a bit of black. I have not touched the pump and it is virgin. One issue may be the air is not cold or dense enough to get full compression. The other issue is the turbos on these things are not the best design. The exhaust side of the turbo is a huge 18.5 cm. I gather the newer Cummins 5.9 come with a 12cm and the 4cylinder ISB has a 9cm hot side. Also a few folks are running 6cm hot sides on their 4bts - this gives a fast spool up but the engine loses some power at the top end. Most seem to be vague on what RPM top end is. I am looking for a 12cm hot side to replace the 18.5. No luck yet.
    The other issue I have is one of my tires has side wall checks- I am not happy about that detail.

Gojeep. You are in trouble to even start thinking that way. Have you looked at Joes site? There are folks over there who post parts for sale quite often.

OOPS just noticed I need to write an article for the PWA - I can no longer post pictures. I think if you have a thread on this site that gets 500,000 hits then you get a lifetime subscription....or was it 1 million?

Comment

• I have two 4bt's one with a 12cm H1C and the other with a 6cm HX30 I would run the HX30 hands down.
      The loss at higher rpm is above 2500 where I rarely or never operate at any way.
      The low RPM gains are very noticeable and useful in a daily driver type vehicle.
      Just my opinion from my experience.

Comment

• Thanks that is the kind of information we need

Baby H!c, !8.5 cm exhaust - laggy bottom end, sort of ok top end max boost at manifold 7lbs, f

HX30 6cm exhaust works great for our application.

a compound combination that seems to work

HX30 6cm exhaust over HX35 12cm exhaust

The only other one that seems to be recommended is the HE221 6cm exhaust which is now common on some of the later ISB engines.

Once again - thanks I need real input on this, swapping multiple turbos is much too expensive.

Tracking down a HX30 6cm exhaust is going to take some time, I hear a few of the knock offs have failed- some seized and some tossed vanes into the intake or exhaust.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
          Gojeep. You are in trouble to even start thinking that way. Have you looked at Joes site? There are folks over there who post parts for sale quite often.
          Mark the seller might be able to get me a couple of door from a PW that I could alter the top corner to suit. Just waiting to hear back.

I don't know what site you mean when you say Joe's site? I have looked on Gordon's.

Comment

• "you are in trouble now"

I changed the top of my door from the round style to the square. There are some pictures way back in the thread that cover that step. I pulled the skins off and beefed up the inner structure while I was at it. looking at HX30W turbos on line, man they are expensive if you want a Holset and not a knock off.

Joes Thread
            http://www.dodgepowerwagon.com

worth a look and you get to know folks in your neck of the woods.

Comment

• Thanks Bruce. I find that site hard to use but found the for sale section in the end.

Comment

• Door corners

Originally posted by Gojeep View Post
                Mark the seller might be able to get me a couple of door from a PW that I could alter the top corner to suit. Just waiting to hear back.

I don't know what site you mean when you say Joe's site? I have looked on Gordon's.
                36,37,38 and some 39 Dodge & Plymouth sedans had the same corners on the doors. you could section out what you need from an otherwise bashed in door. Of course you would have to deal with window channel and such. Re-skinning that corner is a viable option. I have done the reverse (Square to Round) when using a sedan door on a coupe. You need a bit of expertise with a tig though.
                You might even be able to poach a corner from a different make if the cross section fits.

Comment

I changed the top of my door from the round style to the square. There are some pictures way back in the thread that cover that step. I pulled the skins off and beefed up the inner structure while I was at it. looking at HX30W turbos on line, man they are expensive if you want a Holset and not a knock off.

Joes Thread
                  http://www.dodgepowerwagon.com

worth a look and you get to know folks in your neck of the woods.
                  Contact member Alcaid on the 4btswaps site for a good price on a new Holset HX30.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Thompson View Post
                    36,37,38 and some 39 Dodge & Plymouth sedans had the same corners on the doors. you could section out what you need from an otherwise bashed in door. Of course you would have to deal with window channel and such. Re-skinning that corner is a viable option. I have done the reverse (Square to Round) when using a sedan door on a coupe. You need a bit of expertise with a tig though.
                    You might even be able to poach a corner from a different make if the cross section fits.
                    Thanks Bob for the information. I do have a tig and have made some panels and patches from scratch. Have bead roller and folder etc. Been trying here to even get a set of doors from the sedans but they are all so rare here in Australia.
                    Here is my current project. http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/WillysHotrod1.htm

Comment

• Originally posted by Gojeep View Post
                      Thanks Bob for the information. I do have a tig and have made some panels and patches from scratch. Have bead roller and folder etc. Been trying here to even get a set of doors from the sedans but they are all so rare here in Australia.
                      Here is my current project. http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/WillysHotrod1.htm
                      I was not aware you were in Oz, Maybe a door corner from an old FJ might do the trick. Seems to me the sedans had sharp corners but the Ute's didn't.
                      I will have a look at the link, thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Thompson View Post
                        I was not aware you were in Oz, Maybe a door corner from an old FJ might do the trick. Seems to me the sedans had sharp corners but the Ute's didn't.
                        I will have a look at the link, thanks.
                        I still have a couple of door ends from my Willys Truck that might work.

Comment

• Well it was only a matter of time.

So I am working in the garden and my daily transportation is trapped behind a backhoe and my wife is off in her vehicle so I made a run in the Carryall. I go inside and on the way out I see a pair of legs sticking out from under the truck. He is laying right down on the ground and checking out the under pinnings. "This is so neat" We had a bit of discussion around the truck and I went back to work in the garden for a few hours. Then I realized that I had forgotten to pick up some stuff and went back to the same store. Some fellow says "that is nice" and then asked permission to take pictures. Turns out he is on vacation and from Switzerland. As I am firing up the truck another guy wanders over to ask what year it is, and as I am driving away I get flagged down again. So all in all this is quite entertaining.
                          A few days back I had one poor guy totally confused when I told him "no I was not going to paint it all nice and shiny" he was quite confused and wanted to know why. He still did not get it after I explained that I like what is there and it would be wrong to cover up so much history.
                          And then there was the twit who thought I should rip out the cummins put a hemi in it and also thought the truck would look better with flames. I really thought "there is a guy with no clue for taste" really put the DUH in dumb.

But to balance that off a skater kid standing right beside hime says "I would leave it right like it is and maybe clear coat it, it is perfect" Who would have thunk it? Skater kid has more sense and taste that an adult. Now that really did put a smile on my face.

Go Jeep. I no longer think you are in trouble. I think the PW world would be on the losing end if you do not get a Carraall. The PWA community and The Power wagon Advertiser would love to read articles as you built a Carryall.
                          The work on the Willys is darn nice. Hopefully it will look proportional when done, the workmanship is better than most high end shops would do. Way , way, way cool.

take care
                          Bruce

Alex have you seen Dan M's ISB 4banger video? THAT should make you happy?
                          SSSmmmmoooooooooooooth idle.

Comment

So I am working in the garden and my daily transportation is trapped behind a backhoe and my wife is off in her vehicle so I made a run in the Carryall. I go inside and on the way out I see a pair of legs sticking out from under the truck. He is laying right down on the ground and checking out the under pinnings. "This is so neat" We had a bit of discussion around the truck and I went back to work in the garden for a few hours. Then I realized that I had forgotten to pick up some stuff and went back to the same store. Some fellow says "that is nice" and then asked permission to take pictures. Turns out he is on vacation and from Switzerland. As I am firing up the truck another guy wanders over to ask what year it is, and as I am driving away I get flagged down again. So all in all this is quite entertaining.
                            A few days back I had one poor guy totally confused when I told him "no I was not going to paint it all nice and shiny" he was quite confused and wanted to know why. He still did not get it after I explained that I like what is there and it would be wrong to cover up so much history.
                            And then there was the twit who thought I should rip out the cummins put a hemi in it and also thought the truck would look better with flames. I really thought "there is a guy with no clue for taste" really put the DUH in dumb.

But to balance that off a skater kid standing right beside hime says "I would leave it right like it is and maybe clear coat it, it is perfect" Who would have thunk it? Skater kid has more sense and taste that an adult. Now that really did put a smile on my face.

Go Jeep. I no longer think you are in trouble. I think the PW world would be on the losing end if you do not get a Carraall. The PWA community and The Power wagon Advertiser would love to read articles as you built a Carryall.
                            The work on the Willys is darn nice. Hopefully it will look proportional when done, the workmanship is better than most high end shops would do. Way , way, way cool.

take care
                            Bruce

Alex have you seen Dan M's ISB 4banger video? THAT should make you happy?
                            SSSmmmmoooooooooooooth idle.

In regards for the folks drooling over the truck, I'm already planning on just having little cards or flyers printed that I can hand people when I'm in a hurry. Sorry no time to talk, but follow the truck on instagram or visit this forum here. Could drum up some business from fellow PW enthusiasts.

I have not seen the video! I know that mine should be running here shortly. I've been up to stuff but not really documenting the process as its not really something to document.. Wiring and such.
                            1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

Go Jeep. I no longer think you are in trouble. I think the PW world would be on the losing end if you do not get a Carryall. The PWA community and The Power wagon Advertiser would love to read articles as you built a Carryall.

take care
                              Bruce
                              Many thanks Bruce. That write up is actually more condensed on the how to side and have even more detailed writeup on other forums. So if there is anything in particular anyone wants more detail on, I might have it and can point to it.
                              Mark has been able to make good inroads into finding missing pieces for me so a very good chance his parts 53 will get re-born again rather than parted out. :)
                              I'm just working on getting the $5000 cost down just for freighting to get it down to California and out to me here in Melbourne Australia.

Comment

• here is one that we have seen before

Interesting what they do not show in this ad, like the rear doors. Also the whole "we planned to do this shtick" is interesting but does not help much if you are attempting to know more about the trucks condition. The centre of the dash is a real hack job. Also the frame has a serious mod where a different steering box has been added. I can not post pictures at this time. One or two would be nice to have for a reference.
                                http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/ctd/5542602410.html

Bruce

Pulling the dana 70 cover and adjusting the gears.....real soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X