The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chris Olson View Post
    Yes Bruce.. that was a few years ago now... the willys has been rebuilt since then and now only has one tranny....
    here's a pic...

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/feature...sel/index.html
    Nice work Chris!
    And a nice write-up!

MoparNorm

Comment

• 18'' Piping bag

Hey Bruce,
      How about you prepare the main course and I'll do the desert. I went into the bakery business when I was 18 and from there I went on to be a pastry chef. I still do all my kids birthday cakes, but thats about it.

Somebody buy that Chef a drink!!! Cheers.

Comment

• Hmmm OTT sorta in my backyard too

I need to have my custom steering rod bent up and a dana60 steering arm made up (mine is a one piece but too high by about an inch ). I was going to do both jobs myself but spreading the work around may get this truck closer to running than doing every little thing myself. The workmanship on the Willies is pretty darn good and inventive at that. I love stuff that works and does not look like everyone else's belly button . I almost went the rear air bag route myself using the same bags but I was not sure what the thing would ride like . I decided on leaves with a helper air bag settup . I do need a control arm to prevent axle rap up . I suspect the srings are going to take on that classic S shape when the transfercases are both in low and the torque is applied .
        I will give OTT a call next week or maybe "cough cough " drop by on a sick day and see what they have or can create for me.
        Chris are you thinking about building a Carryall or a PW ?

take care

Bruce

I feel like I am in a monty Python skit...... Too many Bruces and not enough Brendas hangin out around here.

Comment

• Appoligy's

Bruce,
          I didn't mean to hijack your thread. I enjoy reading all of your progress & seeing your work, Jake's by-line/sign-off finally caught my attention.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
            I need to have my custom steering rod bent up and a dana60 steering arm made up (mine is a one piece but too high by about an inch ). I was going to do both jobs myself but spreading the work around may get this truck closer to running than doing every little thing myself. The workmanship on the Willies is pretty darn good and inventive at that. I love stuff that works and does not look like everyone else's belly button . I almost went the rear air bag route myself using the same bags but I was not sure what the thing would ride like . I decided on leaves with a helper air bag setup . I do need a control arm to prevent axle rap up . I suspect the srings are going to take on that classic S shape when the transfercases are both in low and the torque is applied .
            I will give OTT a call next week or maybe"cough cough " drop by on a sick day and see what they have or can create for me.
            Chris are you thinking about building a Carryall or a PW ?

take care

Bruce

I feel like I am in a monty Python skit...... Too many Bruces and not enough Brendas hangin out around here.
            No self respecting 4x4 should be anywhere near airbags...unless it's a logging truck trailer.
            If you have anywhere close to stock suspension travel, you'll rip the bags right out of there.
            Bags hinder axle articulation and suspension travel, they belong on the pavement.
            For the cost of bags, you can have Eaton or National Spring or your local guys there, design you a very nice suspension set-up that will give you a soft ride and plenty of payload capacity and suspension travel.
            If they tell you it can't be done, find a better shop.
            I've been building off-road and race suspensions for 40+ years, it can be done....= )

And for the record, it's Willys, pronounced like "Wiilis", not Willies or Willy's....= ) Common mispronunciation for over 60 years....= )

Comment

• Bruce you did not hijack anything

I like having you around and if you had not gathered by now I have a wicked sense of humour . How else could we improve our abilities without thoughtful discourse and an exchange of ideas ? This is not my thread it is the Carryall thread and all i have done is periodically knudge it along.
              Thanks for your thoughts Norm . I was going to add the airbags for the simple purpose of making it simple to adjust load . The main support would be the leaf springs . I was trying to figure out how to attach one end but not the other. I did not realise that you were such an accomplished builder. Well done .
              One of these days i will pull a Marty and cruise some absurd distance just to drop by your place for a visit. But not too soon .

Take care
              Canuckistan Bruce

Comment

• You're welcome anytime!
                Marty calls me as he drives by at 12:01 AM and tells me he doesn't have time to stop...ha! ha!
                Actually a free end for the bag wouldn't be a bad idea, but I'm not sure what load and how often you need to carry it?
                I put 3 different suspensions on this modern Carryall before I got the springs and shocks right where I was happy with it. From smooth highway ride, to 4-6' airborne, it worked just fine....= )

I ended up weighing each corner and building a different spring pack for each corner.

Comment

• Canadian WC26

Hi Jake
                  The WC26 looks fantastic wish mine had been that good when I got it, still its getting there. I have undercoated, sanded, painted, sanded and again several more times both front guards, they now look passable. The vehicle had been badly crashed at some stage as the front grill has been bashed in, then staightened and had new bars put in. Considering the strenght of it, it must have been something very solid.
                  Cheers
                  Rob S. in Adelaide

Comment

• Hey Rob,
                    My WC 26 looks good untill you grt to close to some of the rust area's. It needs a fair bit of metal cut out and replaced because water got in thruogh the broken glass and sat in the bottom of the panels.
                    Your WC looks good now, when are you hoping to have it done?

Comment

• I made a driveline emergency brake cover today .

Do not ask why I am jumping all over the place on what I am building for the Carryall . Just trust me on this. I am working in a logical sequence and one thing has to be made before another . It ain't an exact science . Randomly orbital sequencial cascade engineering is what I am using in my approach to getting her done.
                      Check out my emergency brake cover. I made this one up and heck if it did not warp when I welded the pieces together.
                      And you can see where it is going to get installed on the floor. I more or less just dropped it in there and will get a tad more accurate once I build the seat riser.

Bruce
                      Attached Files

Comment

• here is a little trick that may save you some time

I have swapped so many parts that I lose track of what is what . So I use one of those paint pens to mark down data right on the part . This is a NP205 transfer case that has a Ford input shaft a Chev rear output and I have no clue what the front output is from . I want to put a flange drive on the rear so that I can run a driveline brake and a double universal joint on the driveshaft . I am at a bit of a loss as to what I will use to prevent binding on the front driveshaft . I may end up with 1410 universals but buying them new is going to be very expensive. At present I am trying to modify a 1350 double ujoint to see if I can get enough flex out of it without binding . Yes I rotated the NP205 and that is why the output shaft is a tad high .

take care

Bruce
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Very clever use of a 14 bolt diff cover...

Comment

• Chris and Bruce,
                            Maybe there is something in the water on the west coast that causes the brain to be more creative. Should get that stuff tested.
                            I agree Chris, excellent use of the dif. cover.

Comment

• Sometimes inspiration is a case of desperation

I am tired of fabbing stuff and that differential cover seemed like it was the best choice to cover the driveline brake . Of course I have spare dana covers and no spare corp 14 bolt covers . I peeled that cover off a good rear end that is going to be installed in my only operational truck . I am hoping to have the seat riser fabbed up by Friday. To get it to work I will have to do alot more than just scab 4 pieces of 12 guage together . Turns out that the transfercase cover will be part of the seat riser. I will update later in the week .
                              I also finished a article for G Maney and burned another disc because I lost the first one . I had some drawings to mail too but the cleaning cows seemed to have missplaced them .
                              The cleaning cows are nice ladies but not too swift . They have tossed my bills and unopened mail into the recycling bin , left the stove on for hours to dry some pots , flooded my hardwood floors with water that is the better part of 1/4 of an inch deep and managed to have my stereo turn itself on at 3 in the morning at full volume AND it was playing RAP kahkah .
                              I have a large table with 7 or 8 piles of paper on it . transcripts , marking to do , marking that is done , lesson plans , a mess of stock trades and another of Search and rescue stuff . Imagine my joy at finding the whole sorted mess piled neatly in one stack and they managed to mix it together.

hense they have become " the cleaning cows " about as bright as a jersy.

MMMooooooooooooooooooooo

Bruce

Comment

• Putting it back together

Hi All
                                Put the front guards, grill and a few other bits on this weekend after spending ages preparing them looks good BUT there are still a few issues with things going together. The guard on the right hand side sits forward about 1" further than the left, not sure why but already I can see other parts that dont line up the way they should. No doubt most of this is because of earlier accident damage, and I am sure over the next few months I will go even greyer over this sorting it out.
                                Cheers
                                Rob S.

Comment

Working...
                                X