No announcement yet.

The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my wife says I will be up in April (date seems to have changed )

I can never keep track of what or where I will be . " is it ok if I go hiking on Sunday or do you have me booked for doing something else " or my daughter ' um dad you can not do that because I told my friends that you where taking us there " So I am coming up in April , I will post the exact date as soon as someone who knows walks through the door .
    And a huge big thankyou on the windshield . There has to be some stuff that I can deliver your way at some point .
    I finally got an article off to Gordon and I am hoping to recieve the one about your Carryall . If I do not get the issue I will special order it . Those pictures of it in the bush are down right beautiful .

I am going to get a few more hours in on the firewall today.

take care

Bruce

Comment

• Framed

Hey Bruce,
      The windshield frame has no glass in it but is in reasonably good condition.
      Give me a call or email me when you know your schedule, we are pretty relaxed around here so it's not a big deal to have an exact time.
      Don't worry about the value of the frame, my contribution to a great project.
      I would like a ride someday when the opportunity presents itself.

Comment

• Grind , grind , tack ,trace, file ,weld ,grind ,grind ,grind.

Well there goes another 3 hours of my life . The dimple or divit is more or less done but to finish it off I need to grind down the remaining welds . The grinding will take about 2 hours more. I am going to replace the bottom of the fire wall below the belt line . The firewall is warped from when some doofuss took a torch to it . I hope to gain about one to two inches of additional clearance in the floor area around where the gas pedal would sit . It is the welding that will suck up more than a few hours . To control the warping I need to do alot of tacking with a cool down period between the tacks. I am trying to speed this up with a heat sink but the process is still slow. I am looking forward to getting this part done . I am getting toasty again and need to work on something else . I will post some pictures as soon as I have something interesting to share.
        Thanks on the windshield frame Jake . I figured that the glass would need replacing and the frame would need some tweaking and a bath in the derusting tank too . I will give you a call as soon as things settle down around here and I find out what is going on .

So I was looking in a parts book and I see that NP205s in the 1960s to early 70s could come equipped with a driveline brake. It appears that I even bookmarked the page . Never seen one but I sure would like to get my hands on one or even the darn cast bracket on the back . It is the kind of thing that most guys would toss out . I really do not want to machine one up or go the disc brake route . It may happen though . I have a drum driveline brake off the parcel van but no easy way to mount it to the transfer case .

take care out there
        Bruce

(edit ) That security site has no contact imfo . It has to be so new that it has not got a security clearance yet . Cool arrows too .

Comment

• I think I found someone a carryall parts vehicle

Take a look at the kruse auction April auction in Nebraska. namely look at # 16292- that is no pickup . At least i think it is not a pickup and I do not think it is a cutdown Ambulance . Whatever it is it would make an excellent parts vehicle . The photos are garbage so it is hard to tell exactly what I am looking at . Be careful or you will spend hours looking at the photos.
          My WC ? I am chewing away at it but I need a break . Tired of beating on tin.

goota run

Bruce

Comment

• Now to me, that looks like a cutdown Carryall. Wish we had a pic of the back, but I agree, would be great for parts etc. Not really for this tread, but their #16085 was interesting also..On another note, my 53, after making it all those years sitting in the oil fields, had to go through a 3 and a half foot surge of water that went through the barn in MO. Many hours of work down the drain with three jeeps and a M37 inside and the 53 outside, which now doesn't want to engage the starter and only knows what else..Eric
            Attached Files

Comment

• Shot 2, the gravel was out of the creek 50 yards away and six foot below the barn yard level and from my road going into it. Cheers..Eric
              Attached Files

Comment

• Pour some oil down those cylinders

Drain everything and stick in some new oil . If you can not move the carryall jack it up and stuff some gravel under the tires . That should give you some room to work . The starter may have some dirt in it . I would just dissassemble the thing ,clean and repack the bushings and bench test it before tossing it back in . Most other vehicles would have floated away and the Carryall stood there and took it . You have a story there for Gordon .

Bruce

That is one way to gravel your driveway that I have not seen before.

Comment

• The Hard Way

Made easy, now to figure out how to spread it around, looks to be medium pea gravel? Do you have a grader bucket?
                  Cheers,

Comment

• Shop class

Bruce,
                    First of all: I hope the kids you are teaching take advantage of the stuff they could be learning from you, I wished I had been in a class like yours when I was in high school.
                    Great story you did for the PWA, I hope it is part one of two or three or untill its done. I can't wait to see the finished truck, now that you showed us the picture of that sweet engine you shoehorned into the frame rals. As an expedition vehicle your WC53 is going to rock!

Comment

• 52 trips later with my David Brown and my neighbor's dozer, the pile of gravel is much dispersed back into the drive so I don't have to use 4WD to get to the house. In fact, it was nice that it was piled here and in two other spots. A good double or triple line to the 53 from my winch should get it out so I can start the drainings etc. Thanks for the tips, will be back up there Tue to do damage control..Cheers...Eric

Comment

• Frankenfloor - it is enough to keep a guy up at night

This design provides enough room to move the gas pedal down on the floor where I find it more comfortable and my wife might be able to find the thing. I do not have a shot bag or planishing hammer or an english wheel and pounding a tunnel out on an oak stump seems to me to be a bit of a challenge so I have resorted to piecing one together . I incorporated the old power take off bump from the original ,wasted tunnel. The bump now provides room for a 96 Dodge transfercase shifter which will operate the 2.72 transfercase. I have yet to build the twin shifter for the 205. The tunnel is about 1/2 complete and the whole mess actually works and looks ok when I toss in the floor .
                        Dana rear disc brakes. My design using the original caliper mounts taken from a front axle seems to work . I managed to mount thedrivers side without using any shims and I was using new pads. I needed that , I was expecting that I would need to use some shims to set it up.
                        Look at the floor in the right hand lower corner of the photo . 66 years old and there is still the original olive drab sticking to the metal .

take care
                        Bruce
                        Attached Files

Comment

• ambec, Where are you at in MO? I'm just across the river from St. Louis...........John

Comment

• Looks good Bruce

Bruce,

The bump will look good after you prep and paint it.
                            As an expedition vehicle are you planning to put a roof rack on top?
                            Attached is another picture of my WC26.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
                              This design provides enough room to move the gas pedal down on the floor where I find it more comfortable and my wife might be able to find the thing. I do not have a shot bag or planishing hammer or an english wheel and pounding a tunnel out on an oak stump seems to me to be a bit of a challenge so I have resorted to piecing one together . I incorporated the old power take off bump from the original ,wasted tunnel. The bump now provides room for a 96 Dodge transfercase shifter which will operate the 2.72 transfercase. I have yet to build the twin shifter for the 205. The tunnel is about 1/2 complete and the whole mess actually works and looks ok when I toss in the floor .
                              Dana rear disc brakes. My design using the original caliper mounts taken from a front axle seems to work . I managed to mount thedrivers side without using any shims and I was using new pads. I needed that , I was expecting that I would need to use some shims to set it up.
                              Look at the floor in the right hand lower corner of the photo . 66 years old and there is still the original olive drab sticking to the metal .

take care
                              Bruce
                              Nice work Bruce!
                              But I'm thinking it may get a tad drafty in there....= )

Comment

• Roof racks and drafts

Good one Norm . Good thing the tunnel is only half done . I weld a bit and check it and weld it some more . About 8 years back I had a friend by the name of Bruce Mclennon . Bruce had himself a 47 or 48 ford and had replaced the floor . Bruce wanted a hand fitting the doors and asked me if I could help . Even though he had braced the body and tacked the doors in place the darn door would not fit after he cut out the tabs. After a bunch of screwing around I took the sawsall and cut the new floor down the middle and we added about 1/4 of an inch and I shaved the edges of one door to get an even fit . Weird thing was that the door frame and door fit great but the skin was out of wack . We joked about how some guy would have to take the 1/4 inch back out of the floor if they ever used a different set of doors.
                                Roof rack - I would like to use one for trips but do not want the weight up there when creeping through the rough stuff . I have to think about what I will do in that regard . Darn tig welder is acting up. I am mig welding where I would rather tig weld.

take care

Bruce

Comment

Working...
                                X