The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The WC53 Carryall thread"

What could possibly be easier to find than that??? Add "Dodge" to the title???

Good floor indeed...= )

Comment

• Oh Oh you had better stop thinking Jake .

Disc brakes and a diesel ? Let me know what seats you plan on sticking in . I am looking for some seats that will not make my back sore on long drives . At present I am lost . 1/2 ton , 3/4 ton , military , civilian who cares ? If it is Carryall it could get posted right here .
      I am slowly getting back to the carryall . Very busy doing other stuff .

Bruce

Nice floor Norm . Looks like the Arctic ice after breakup .

Comment

• Ha-ha

Hey NORM,
        I Googled "Rusty Dodge" this morning, had some interesting hits!

Comment

• Bruce, I am in Gainesville Florida.

My Carryall is fairly rust free, all things considered. More dents in bad places ( creases and around the rear hatch frame and drivers door) than rust. The roof had a piece of metal leaded in and then covered with a lot of fibered roof coating. That was a pain to get out, but the frame was too rusty to leave it.

I am pretty decent on welding, just not dent repair, so I have a new skill set to learn. The rust had to be kept at bay from all the tar :) The front (and 1/2 the rear) floor had 1/4 inch of tar all over it with roll roofing on top of that. I am building up the energy to work on the firewall.

I am looking to have the body blasted or diped. Can anybody offer any pros and cons? There appears to be a bit of rust behind two of the window frames, so I think I will cut those out, blast and reweld after the main body is done.

As for the thread, I just never looked in the "picture" section before. I think they need a Carryall buildup section.

Thanks guys,

Tim

Comment

• If you blast, be sure you "media' blast NOT sand!
            Sand will warp the sheetmetal...yes, even Dodge sheetmetal....= )

Comment

• Jawgroth i got a template for you

But your contact imformation got deleated during a computer wipe . So as soon as I get the imfo I will mail off the template .

Feeling dumb

Bruce

Comment

• jawgroth contact info:

Contact info:

Eric Groth
                15833 Lenz Ct.
                Kiel, WI 53042

Thanks. I cut the inner panel out and have the dent hammered out fairly well. There are a few rust thru areas so I am going to cut out a patch and weld in. Then to the other side which is rusted out worse. Then all the inside lower sills, Then, Then, then, ect.

Eric

Comment

• Don't you hate it when

I just mounted my passenger side shock tower and went to mount the drivers side . Yep you guessed it , there was a problem . The shock tower would interfere with the steering u joint or coupler . My first reaction was to notch the tower but after giving it some thought I decided to move the mount back on the passenger side to a position that would work and match
                  the driver side . Now it clears the coupler and both sides match and unless I the wheel is fully stuffed and cranked all the way over I think the tire will clear the shock .
                  On the same note I found a real cool , stock looking emergency brake leaver . I sand blasted it and painted it in epoxy zink primer . I then promptly lost the darn thing . Weird part is that it has remained lost even though I have started a "clean up " campaign . I better check the dumpster and make sure the lever did not fall in while perched on the top .
                  I am searching for the perfect green . olive drab seems to be a bit too dark . As the paint ages and the colour bleaches out the drab takes on more of a yellow tone . Vey similiar to the metal flake colour on the 2008 jeeps . This is the colour I want , sans the metalflake .
                  Ditto with the interior seats. I want something comfortable that does not hurt my back when traveling long distances . I would use the doge mini van seats but the darn things are way uncomfortable . At least the 88 and 98 seats sure sucked . I own both and my back has suffered after a 3 hour ride when I was forced to drive either vehicle.

take care
                  Photos soon
                  Bruce

Jawgroth , your parcel has been posted , i figure 10 days - 2 weeks

Comment

• Nice to hear you got a chance to get back into the Carryall project Bruce.
                    The Dodge seats in my 07 3500 are great, I am not sure they would fit into the Carryall though.

Comment

• Shock mounts revealed

Ok the shocks are more or less in . I need to do a little grinding on one hole I filled and the towers and shocks are basically done . Of course it took several trys to get the correct location and I drilled one hole in the wrong spot . The splash shield will need minor modification to work . The shocks are adjustable ranchos and have about 12 inches of travel . I do not think the suspension will be that flexy but with that stroke they will not bottom out . The uprights are out of a late model Ford . They looked more period correct than anything else I could find .

take care

Bruce

Back to work tomorrow..........I am getting to old for this .
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Carryall on eupay

Currently bid 2500 with several days left . I have included this on the thread because I think it provides a reference point for what value some folks will place on a vehicle . I had a bunch more that i had permission to publish but they were wiped and I just figured out how to cut the emailed image to a size that I can export to PWA.

edit- 5100 with 13 hours left
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Value

Hi Bruce
                          If that was Australia that would be considered a cheap price for a vehicle in that condition. You saw the pictures of my 1/2 tonner when I got it. I paid $1600 about 10 years ago and considered I had done well. Looking at the vehicles still being found in the U.S. & Canada I suspect that if it was over there it would have been cut up for parts. So I guess all values are relative!
                          Cheers
                          Rob

Comment

• Packaged recieived

Bruce, I recieved your letter on Friday. Thanks. I haven't had a chance to check it against my truck yet. Thursday I went down to Milwaukee for the HOG rally at Miller Park. Incredible the number of Harleys. The rest of the weekend we were up at the hunting cabin.

$2500 for a carryall with a good body like the one in the picture I would consider a really good price. Mine would have been done years ago if it wasn't for the body work. I had the chassis and all mechanicals done within the first two years.

Eric

Comment

• A tiny step forward

Filled in the original steering box center hole today and ground it down . The reason I filled it was to restore a bit of strength to what I consider a weak spot once the original box is removed . It might of made more sense to bolt a plate on the inside of the frame to mimic the original box but I decides to go this route for a couple of obscure reasons .
                              There is a WC53 upper tailgate for sale on upay and Midwestmilitary has 2 lower tailgates for sale on their website .

1600 is a decent price for a carryall . Considering the overall condition of mine I got it for a very fair price 2200 . Missing some parts but what is there is pretty decent .

best regards

Bruce

Comment

• All I can say is wow. I am a stock person and finally looked at what everyone is doing. I am restoring my stuff to factory with a few updates along the lines of field mods. I have all 1/2 toners. I have 2 complete ambulances and 1 frame. I also have a truck that has been modified and trying to get it back to original. http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f4...c%2018%20body/
                                the ambulance I am restoring. I have the frame and my other one for sale. Now to fit it into the carryall thread I have a set of Carryall seats for my ambulance and am looking for ambulance seats. Carryall are close but not right as I said a stock resto. If I ever get money I want to do a 1/2 ton Carryall and a panel. maybe get into the VCs and Vfs.

Comment

Working...
                                X