The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pictures of axles

got some pictures of the original carryall axles . I have no idea what size they are . I can read the dates and codes on the combat rims , I need to clean up my stash pile . there are too many vehicles and parts in the yard . the rust you see that is bright red on the axle housing has shown up over the last 12 days . The axles are now too near the ocean .
    Is this the large or small diff ? perhaps I have an in between one .
    Attached Files

Comment

• Axles

I think they are the early version, with the covers welded on. You can measure the pinion seal. If the measurement from outside to outside is 3 3/4" (I think, VPW has it on there web page under rear axle) then it's the early smaller diff. I believe the welded on diff was a temporary fix, in-between the early and late. I have seen a couple front hubs that had been machined out on the inside to release the axle, due to the no unlocking hubs. What's your frame number? Hey Bruce, you don't have the knee shocks still? I going to get a third Carryall next week, and I,m looking for a set of shocks. Pictures coming soon.

James

Comment

• axles

I think the rear axle is a large one - it has a set screw at the pinion . The front diff does not have the set screw but the case cover bolts on and is not welded .
        No set screw on the diff . I have no idea what I have . nice axles though .
        Body # 4249 6533
        Yes I have all four shocks , not sure what they are worth and shipping would be a pain .
        Where are you located ?

Bruce

Comment

• Maybe you need a square drill.
          Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

• Square drill and square washers would be cool

The washers would need to be made from some kind of rust free metal , last forever , have a wave on the inside edge and PW or DB stamped on them too.

Comment

• Hey James!

Hello "HRT5SLCFD" James....

I saw back in post 1-13-2010 that you said you might have an extra set of tail gate latches from a wc53. I tried pm-ing you or emailing but it looks like you have those options shut off. Will you contact me please if you have latches available? Ive got tailgate now,and tee handle,hinges. Mabey some internal parts from Gordon across the pond, but still need latches and mabey the rods. thanks

Comment

• James, Looks like a ton of work going on. I too am still looking for the latch parts we discussed a year ago. Please keep me in mind.
                Thanks
                Garrett

Comment

• latch

I would not be opposed to milling a few out on my mill if someone wanted to lend me one for pattern.

Comment

• That would be wonderful. I don't care so much about the orginality, just some functional parts would be great. Thanks so much for the offer.
                    Garrett

Comment

• Latches

I have ten sets almost done. The short rods, the two pieces that cam together, the main bracket, the only thing that I need to finish is the "S" cam on the bottom, and the little springs. They won't be original, but they will work very nice. All the pins are in the proper place, and I think with some heavy sandblasting the will look very close to original. Garrett, I still have those hooks, and you can have them when I'm done using them as a pattern. The hooks are the same pattern as the rest of the other hooks. I will have the whole set complete, along with latches when the tax return comes. Should be mid March. I had two extra sets but sold them a little to maturly. Oh well live and learn. I'm also a little over half done with tailgate hinges. I'm going to pick up my third Carryall Friday. There is a guy making command car bodies, I think I'm going to take a stab at making Carryall bodies. I'll make the inner skeleton first, with the wheel wells, then on to the outer skin. I believe there are several Carryalls out there that have been chopped up by some farmer who wanted a make shift pickup. Anyway 2 1/2 years I'll be retired, and really start doing some fun work.

James

Comment

• Pictures we need pictures of the cool stuff you are doing

Lower tail gate hinges ? Way cool .

Comment

• Rotary latches in a carryall door

These latches can be made to work in a PW or Carryall door and use the stock hardware . I moved the door handle up on to the reveal but I am sure that with a little planning the rotary latch could move down and the door handle remain in it's stock location .
                          Too quiet on this thread guys .... weather must be too cold to get much done .
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Outside of door

The handle is stronger than stock because the shaft extends to the back of the door . This is not a big deal but i like it better than having the lever on the back of the door skin .
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Third Carryall

http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/w...g?t=1298786742
                              http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/w...g?t=1298786798
                              http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/w...g?t=1298786846
                              I drug home an other project. It has a good chassis, seats, hinges, latches, lift gate, and some panels to make patterns from. With my new English wheel, bead rollers, and shrinker, I plan to fix this and others that may be out there.
                              Bruce where did you get the chrome handles?

James

Comment

• One more

Comment

Working...
                                X