The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome door handles

got them from " THE OLD CAR CENTER " basically I had them pull out several repo handles until I found one that was close enough to the original to suit me . I think the handles are late 30s to 40s Ford truck . Thirty Eight ?
    The trouble with Photo Bucket is the photos very often end up unaccessable . More like Photo Dumpster . They are in there someplace but do you want to climb in there and find them ?
    Bruce

Comment

• Thanks for posting the door handle pics. I've been considering how to tackle this eventually.

How is the new striker held into the frame? I assume that panel will get welded in?

Comment

• The plate is welded in , looks darn near stock .

There is a box that captures the nut and the striker pin is adjustable . If you want to keep the handles in the stock position a couple of companies make a lever that attaches to the back of the door skin . Essentially this bracket is held in place by the two door handle screws that you see on the outside handle . From there you run a cable to the bottom of the door and loop it back to the rotary latch . Sometimes it is possible to use rods to do this job but getting past the window is tricky .
        A few hours in a Pick and Pull may provide you with some small modern latches that would fit around the window channel . No such yards exist close to me .

Take care

Bruce

Comment

• Originally posted by HRT5SLCFD View Post
          I have ten sets almost done. The short rods, the two pieces that cam together, the main bracket, the only thing that I need to finish is the "S" cam on the bottom, and the little springs. They won't be original, but they will work very nice. All the pins are in the proper place, and I think with some heavy sandblasting the will look very close to original. Garrett, I still have those hooks, and you can have them when I'm done using them as a pattern. The hooks are the same pattern as the rest of the other hooks. I will have the whole set complete, along with latches when the tax return comes. Should be mid March. I had two extra sets but sold them a little to maturly. Oh well live and learn. I'm also a little over half done with tailgate hinges. I'm going to pick up my third Carryall Friday. There is a guy making command car bodies, I think I'm going to take a stab at making Carryall bodies. I'll make the inner skeleton first, with the wheel wells, then on to the outer skin. I believe there are several Carryalls out there that have been chopped up by some farmer who wanted a make shift pickup. Anyway 2 1/2 years I'll be retired, and really start doing some fun work.

James
          I think I'm throwing in the towel. I do not have the energy to re-do my wc-53.

I think I am going to part out the body, windows, upper tailgate, power windows, manual windows, windshield, running boards, fenders, hood.... etc.... And do a wc56.

But I'm trying to think it through and be reasonable

Comment

• Parts, Yes

I just drug home my third Carryall. I need some parts. Let me know what shape, and what is available, also cost. I think your body is better shape than my last one. I also think I could fix your frame, but with stock mounts gone it would be too much work to look correct. I think I have the OD. Fever.
            Hey, Matt is your rig still available?

James

Comment

• James I could use some of that stuff ......

But I would feel bad about why I ended up with them .
              What you need is to trip over a mint WC53 or a swivel frame for 2 grand and "HAVE AT HER "
              Too bad you live like 1/2 a billion miles away , I am sure a bunch of those parts would feel right at home in my Carryall . From the sounds of things the stupid insurance companies have not upped their offer . Too bad about your back and fear of driving on the highway system , how is that law suit coming ? Must be worth 1/2 a million dollars .

Bruce

I still want some lower tail gate hinges ...........

Comment

• I believe in karma. I simply cannot sue for injuries I do not have.
                The wc kept me from death, or serious injury. And for that I am grateful.

I really need to find a wc56 frame. Swap all the stuff over so I can roll the crap around.

I will be selling everything specifically wc-53 and not able to be reused on a 56.

I honestly have NO idea on the value of the parts.

I have
                All new smoke glass for the sides and rear. 6 custom and 6 manual window winders, upset tailgate is still good, lower hardware, may be reusable, idk. But the hood, rear fenders, battery box, etc..... I welded in the front seat brackets, and I have brackets for the two rear seats that bolt in....

In some ways I wish I could simply sell the titled frame (no springs) and rear body and all the stuff for ONE price.

I KNOW I'm losing. Not much I can do about it.

Comment

• I could not in good faith butcher a mint 53. And I just do not want to build a body again to this level, and I cannot afford it anyway.

The 56 really seems the EASIEST.

Comment

• Receiver Hitch With Pintle Hook

Thread has been quiet lately. I've been working on the interior of the Carryall and getting closer to having the carpet and headliner finished. I'll post interior pictures when it's finished but here's a few pictures of my receiver hitch.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Receiver Hitch With Pintle Hook

Here's a few more pictures installed.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• That pintle hitch looks nice .

The hitch looks like it belongs there and the brackets are nice and beefy too .
                        1/4 or 3/16 inch plate ?
                        Too bad Lee's WC53 is so far away . It would make a great donor for someone . A guy would have to be on holidays and pick the cab up as part of his trip . I just do not see that working with a Honda .
                        I smooshed my camera in my car door . I need to remember to tuck my coat in before closing the door .

Bruce

Comment

• Wc53

Hey James, there's a carryall in your backyard. Ebay # 110667624818. I have not decided on my carryall yet. Thanks, Matt

Comment

• Just how clean is clean ?

I have been welding in the inner panel sheet metal that I cut away years ago . The panels were removed to help repair the damage to the rear quarters . Although I had sanded down the paint the welds were full of porosity . I fought with this for quite awhile and finally hit on the solution .
                            (1) raised the flow meter gas to 25
                            (2) went to a larger paint stripper type abrasive disc in my 4 inch angle grinder .
                            The abrasive disc is one of those plastic scrub pad materials that is loaded with abrasive grit . Once I got the metal absolutely clean the porosity problems no longer were a problem . I have one corner done and have started on a section of the rear floor . I am having to hold off on the drivers side until I come up with a gas door system that I can live with .

Bruce

The rear floor is raised under the seat . This provides room for the fuel tank which is raised and also stiffens up the body .
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Stay-Clean

Try some Stay-Clean hydrochloric acid. It cleans really good, you just need to neutralize with some soda and water. I also turn my gas up, but my new welder has a pre and post flow adjustment, so I don't really pay much attention to the gas, unless I'm welding outside.
                              I been working on the junker, just enough to get a tarp over it. I think I could squeeze one more Carryall in the backyard (not).
                              James

Comment

• New axle

Oh by the way I got a new Ford high pinion kingpin axle for the four door. I think I need to concentrate on just one project. It drives my wife nuts. That's ok her dog drives me nuts.
                                Still working on Carryalls. (By the way the photo bucket thing works, I'm just learning how to do everything from my I pad, and there's a small learning curve).

James

Comment

Working...
                                X