The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laughter is good .

I can get a lot more done by laughing about some foul up than by getting morose . I seem to have a habit of welding on perfectly good metal and missing the seam . Wrenches and sockets ? I may as well buy them in bulk . I gave up looking for missplaced tools years ago . If I can not find it after looking for a few minutes I buy another . The missing tools allways turn up when I clean up or a few months later when I am doing another job . Having 4 or 5 of the same size of wrench saves me from a bunch of aggravation.
    I know that I need to be careful and set down parts in a place where I can find them . Box and label the stuff and reassemble as soon as possible . But tools , I put one down and I can not find it 20 seconds later. Very entertaining when I am lying under the truck and have lost a tool that I had just placed on my chest .

The rear end seen in the preceding posts is a dana 70 . The springs are from a late model Dodge and the brackets are all custom built . The disc brakes are a custom setup that I think would be adaptable to most full floating rear ends .

Take care

Bruce

Now that would be a commute . 16 hours by dog ? I would need to hitch up some whales to get across the fyord. Free coffee ? I am more into tea ? Earl Grey .... neat not stirred .

Comment

Nice work Bruce

Finally got my pictures reloaded on a new PC so thought it's time for me to chime in on this Carryall thread. I don't understand why you guys didn't order the rust and dent free Carryall model. :)
      Attached Files

Comment

Well, Gary, I think you'd better open your mail very carefully for a while ha ha! But the truck looks GREAT!

Bruce:

"I can get a lot more done by laughing about some foul up than by getting morose . I seem to have a habit of welding on perfectly good metal and missing the seam . Wrenches and sockets ? I may as well buy them in bulk . I gave up looking for missplaced tools years ago . If I can not find it after looking for a few minutes I buy another . The missing tools allways turn up when I clean up or a few months later when I am doing another job . Having 4 or 5 of the same size of wrench saves me from a bunch of aggravation.
        I know that I need to be careful and set down parts in a place where I can find them . Box and label the stuff and reassemble as soon as possible . But tools , I put one down and I can not find it 20 seconds later. Very entertaining when I am lying under the truck and have lost a tool that I had just placed on my chest ."

Thank you beyond what words can express. That is the perfect description of the last 8 months that I've been working on my Town Wagon project! I thought it was just me so thanks a million. I'll just tell my analyst and the Psychiatiric Emergency Response Team that I'm actually okay, no, really, I'm fine you see ha haha!

Comment

Hey Gary,
          That is a nice looking peice of work, keep the pictures coming.

Comment

Toss us some more pictures Gary

You must be assembling that big kit that you have laid out in your shop by now . That truck is down right pretty . I am not going that far with my finish work - and puleeese beat on me if I start colour sanding any part on my truck .

Bruce

is that one of those bodies that were never mounted ? I hear there are still a couple of 100 in crates sitting in the desert someplace .

Comment

You know, I just realized that I don't actually know what a WC53 is! I was thinking military vehicle, but was it that or civilian?

Comment

Hey there Jim

Take a gander at the link on the first page of this site. After you see one you will be smitten . There is something about the WC53 that stirs the heart . WC53s were built for the military . There were a few civy carryalls built before the WC53, but in my opinion the WC53 has the nicest look .

Comment

Gary's Big Kit

For those of you who don't know what Bruce is talking about here is Gary's "kit".
                  Great work I might add!

MN

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
                    I can get a lot more done by laughing about some foul up than by getting morose . I seem to have a habit of welding on perfectly good metal and missing the seam ...
                    Bruce
                    Ha!Ha! My most perfect weld...was 1/4" beside the seam...I put cheaters in my lenses plate the next day.....= )!!
                    MN

Comment

Thanks, Bruce. I wondered because I have a Town Wagon and see obvious strong similarities. I'm smitten with Townies, having owned and driven this one for about 30 years ha ha!

Wow, that 'Kit' is downright incredible! Insert tab A into slot B, easy. Thanks, Norm!

Comment

Carryall Kit Assembled (well....almost)

Since I didn't have any instructions Gordon had to come over and give me a few pointers. And yes Bruce there is a lot of color sanding to do on a Carryall.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Gary, keep the photos coming - that Carryall looks awesome!!!!!!!!!!
                          Give us some details, is the drivtarin stock?, did you make that wiring harness?What tires are you putting on it?

Comment

Hi Gary:

Your truck is well beyond mere words. AWESOME is a complete understatement. To me, black is the best color for a vehicle, but gun metal gray metalic is a close 2nd. BEAUTIFUL, JUST BEAUTIFUL! I see from your photos that ya made some mods to it, like the battery case for one. I couldn't tell if ya replaced the drivers side runningboard (with the dip for the spare), so did ya?

Personally, I'd be scared to death to take that out on the road. I too am curious as to what other mods ya did (or will do) to yours. I have mixed feelings about these vehicles, as far as doing a correct historical resto or an upgraded version. I can understand both points of view. One of the reasons I went to a MV is that you can do almost anything to em and be correct, as long as the things ya do are from the correct time period. BTW, wasn't that a Monogram kit?

Jimmie:

The term Carryall was applied to many different vehicles. It was just a generic term. I think the 1st Suburbans came out in the mid 30's and they were also called Carryalls. They were 1st produced for civilian apps and the military saw em and liked em. To tell the truth, I NEVER knew Dodge made em too until I saw the Beast. I knew the panels were out there, and they were made by all of the big 3, but only GM did one with windows. What a pleasant surprise.

Later
                            Ugg

Comment

Ugg,
                              Just so you know, the name 'Suburban' was a Chrysler name plate. It first appeared in the early twenties on a Plymouth Town & Suburban wagon. Chrysler eventually trimmed the name down to Town & Country and dropped the Suburban nameplate, gm, always the "innovator" quickly scooped up the nameplate and began to place it on their wagons.
                              Another Chrysler Original like 4WD pickups, crew cabs and Sport Utilities that live on at another brand.....
                              MN

Comment

Norm:

No, I didn't know. Now I do. HA! The only reason I knew of the old Sub was cause I had one. Then a friend got a early 60's one, so I did some research back before your bud (Mr Gore) invented the net. I'm bummed now. I just heard from Chrysler Historical, Daimler reared it's ugly PURGE head again and they no longer have the drawings of the field limo. 8>(

Later
                                Ugg

Comment

Working...
                                X