No announcement yet.

The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep those pictures comming in . This is a great resource .

Gary those are awesume shots . The truck is a beauty . Trust me I know what it takes to get to that stage and you have done an incredible job . You should be pleased with what you have created. please keep us posted as you assemble the thing .
    As an aside , there are lots of these trucks in completed stage and being upgraded as they run . Please share your photos . The more we share the better prepared we will be . This feedback helps keep me focused and working a bit more on the HSLATT special. I gather the same effect applys to others.

Knackered tonight

Bruce

Looking for a 4bta and rear side window molding

Comment

Thanks for the nice comments

...but without Gordon's and Joe's site I couldn't have done it. I'll try to post more pictures later but to answer a few questions I put one of VPW's 251 in it. Installed 4.89's in the rear and I've got R&P gear that needs installed in the front. In the mean time I bought a set of fake hubs (no splines) from VPW so I'll run 2 wheel drive this summer. Ray's disc brakes in the front and a set ready to install for the rear when I get time. Put power steering on it and a few other minor modifications but everything is reversible and all the unused parts will be stored in my garage.
      One question I have is I'm using the original master cylinder with disc brakes and there's been a lot of discussion on swapping in a different MC and needing a prop. valve. What problems am I going to have if I use the original MC. The MC is new and was such a pain to get it installed I really don't want to swap it out now. Plus I had a custom reservoir made that looks really neat. Thanks.
      Attached Files

Comment

Oh you are in for some fun

I honestly think you will find the original MC will not move enough volume to make your brakes work properly if you are running disc brakes . Take a look at the size of the puck in your caliper . You need to move a fair amount of fluid to get that caliper to move and apply pressure .
        The other thing to consider is that disc brakes are not self actualizing . They need a much greater amount of force to work compared to a drum brake system. Some disc brake systems need up to 10 times more pressure than a drum to create the same amount of friction . That is why there are boosters.
        In 67 / 68 all vehicles went to a dual brake system because of the safety facter. This improvement is worth considering doing the same to your Carryall .

Best regards

Bruce

Comment

Gary,

Beautiful work!

Do keep the pic's coming. Can't wait to see it at Fairfield.

Awesome!
          TGP
          WDX & Misc. Pics.
          http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
          "47" Dodge WDX WW
          "52" Dodge M-37 WW
          "54" Willys M38A1
          "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
          "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
          "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
          "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
          "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
          "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

Hey Gary:

About your brake questions, I think if ya head over to Paul from NY's site, you'll get more than enough info. He is afterall, The Carryall Guru. I don't have his link on this computer, but if ya don't have it, I'm sure others here can direct ya. I know most of the other Carryall owners here have talked to him at one time or another. So where'd ya end up putting your battery?

Later
            Ugg

Comment

Paul's site, and a fine fellow he is! Best Maple syrup on the planet, too, bar none!

http://imageevent.com/moosecreekmaple

Comment

here is a link to a WC53 on Utube

and we are now the Number 1 WC53 site in the world . Thanks Gordon. You are the man. Gentle man that is .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFrA6lomokw

Bruce

Australia has a WC53 or 2 too . fraser Island looks like a good place to hold a rally .

Comment

Originally posted by Ugg013 View Post
                  Norm:

No, I didn't know. Now I do. HA! The only reason I knew of the old Sub was cause I had one. Then a friend got a early 60's one, so I did some research back before your bud (Mr Gore) invented the net. I'm bummed now. I just heard from Chrysler Historical, Daimler reared it's ugly PURGE head again and they no longer have the drawings of the field limo. 8>(

Later
                  Ugg

Well that means one of two scenarios:
                  1) You and I are now the "owners".
                  2) The original has been sent to Berlin for manufacturing as the next Blitzkrieg fighting machine.....
                  MN

Comment

Originally posted by MoparNorm View Post
                    Well that means one of two scenarios:
                    1) You and I are now the "owners".
                    2) The original has been sent to Berlin for manufacturing as the next Blitzkrieg fighting machine.....
                    MN
                    Norm:

Stutgart, not Berlin. ;>)

Later
                    Ugg

Comment

• So, on these here Carryall thing'o'myBob's [Bob doesn't have one yet but wants one], do they have the removable and adjustable top 'bows' like the Town Wagons?

Great feature, 'cause you can adjust them down, slide in some sheets of the white EPS Expanded Polystyrene Foam or other board-type insulation, shove the bow back up and tighten it up. Then the headliner covers it up and you're ready for summer or winter. Makes a BIG difference in interior temperatures.

Also, did they do the ventilation gap in the rear flooring on these? TW's only have the floors physically connected to body at rear cab mounts, wheel wells and tailgates/doors area. There's an open space between body shell and floor, running from rear cab mounts to front of fender well, and from rear of fender well to back door frames. They used a 'V' shaped piece or rubber moulding stuffed down in the space to fill the air gap.

This isn't as ignorant as it seems, because the body has inner panels running from below window frames to floors that's bolted in place and should seal the compartment. Should, but these panels rust out because of poor window drainage.

How does the rear window drainage system work? Troughs with wooden plugs at ends, with rubber drain hoses running down through floors like the TW or what?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ugg013 View Post
                        Norm:

Stutgart, not Berlin. ;>)

Later
                        Ugg
                        Nine! The War Office is in Berlin! As well a much of the manufacturing capacity...uh until 1943....

The U-boat manufacturing plant was also in Berlin, we bombed the begeebies out of the North Sea ports but never found the plant or stopped production. After the war we discovered canals with areo camo netting that stretched from the Sea to the factories in Berlin...those crafty guys....
                        MN

Comment

• Originally posted by MoparNorm View Post

After the war we discovered canals with areo camo netting that stretched from the Sea to the factories in Berlin...those crafty guys....
                          MN
                          Norm:

Your are right. But let me tell you a very special secret. All the canals are still exist at the moment. Ever when Mr. Bush comes over to Germany for a visit, he used the secret canals with a special vehicle, called “Canal One” . I do not why he do that, but it must be a case why he do that ;-)

Ugg:

Stuttgart, not Stutgart ;>)

Comment

• Wow!
                            They were still there in the early 70's, I didn't think that they would still be there, but it makes sense, if it works why change?
                            I was going to correct Ugg, but I forgot....= )
                            There was also an entire camp near Wildflecken, that was hidden by nettings and camo, it wasn't discovered until nearly a year after the war. There were hospitals, bedding, food, ammo and weapons, but no people. The valley was so narrow and deep and the trees so high that troops could have hid out for years.
                            A fasinating place. It may have been near the V-2 mountain factory, that one was entirely underground, a huge complex.
                            MN

Comment

• Carryall Window trays

JimmieD the Carryall has trays under each window that collects the water and then drains it into the body (so it will rust out faster). I put window sweeps on the outside so hopefully that will stop some water and then drilled a 1" hole in the bottom of the body to run the hoses through and drain it on to the ground.
                              Started the engine for the first time over the weekend and found it had a bad fuel pump and an oil leak under the timing cover. Now I get to take the radiator out "again" to get to the front unless someone has a better idea on stopping a leak.
                              (careful Norm.....keep it clean... :-)
                              Attached Files

Comment

• What gets me is how do you paint between the double walls /

I do not see much sense in fixing up the outside and inside of a body and leaving the bare rusty metal that exists in the double wall . So what tricks have been done besides drilling out all the spot welds and seperating the inner and outter structures . That is a ton of work and I figure there must be an alternative method that some of you have used .

Bruce

Comment

Working...
                                X