The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by fiverman View Post
    I have a 43 wc-53 and have read all of this thread, I have yet to start rebuild. What I'm really trying to figure out is to repower or not, just what are the realistic speeds of these trucks stock (top, cruising etc.)?
    50 is alli was willing to do, stock.

Comment

• fifty seems to be about the top speed

There are so many factors to consider when building up one of these . How complete is your truck may be the biggest factor in deciding what to do with it . Follow that with what you want to do with it and how deep is your pocket book . Then there is the old TIME issue .
      I have been working on my hotrod for the last 2 weeks - so no progress on the Carryall .
      LEE ! Did you get your hands on that Command Vehicle ?

take care

Bruce

Comment

• Spring placement

Hi Bruce, Can you get me a shot of the rear spring setup also. I've got the front spring hangers and shakles from a 79 ford f-350 coming and a set of highboy springs. They look alot like your front setup. The rears you have look like the chevy reversed shakle setup sold by offroad design. I'm not brand specifec just want to put together a nice useable setup under my powerwagon. By the way it's a 46WDX. Thank you for any help and don't get in any hurry. I've been gathering parts and even had my 30x45 shop go down in an ice storm few years back. Just now getting back on my feet to continue building the old girl. By the way your Carryall has been a nice build to follow. Thanks again Bob

Comment

• Front end review

Running a king pin dana 60 front end . When I looked in my old books Chevy , Ford and Dodge said that the front axle caster is not adjustable . I also found some data that leaves me even more confused . Caster might be listed at + 4.5 degrees but the king pin inclination would be listed at 8.5 degrees . I have all ways thought caster and kingpin inclination were the same . Books say otherwise .
          As an example here are the specs for a 1979 ford Dana 60
          caster 3.5 - 8 degrees
          king pin inclination 8.5 degrees

for the Chevy dana 60
          caster 8 degrees

I have no idea what the caster is on my Carryall . I measured a couple of stock 1993 dodge 350 trucks front spring eye to the pavement and did the same for the rear . The rear was about 2 inches lower in both cases but the springs were dead flat or had a negative arch to them so I am not sure what the stock specs are for that vehicle .
          On the Carryall ?
          Front spring eye 25 inches
          rear spring eye 21 inches
          Personally I would like the rear eye a bit higher but I am not going to adjust it until I have test driven the truck
          Attached Files

Comment

• Front hanger

The front hanger mimics an OEM setup . Two bolts go into the frame from the bottom and two bolts go through the bracket and into the frame from the side .
            What ties this all together is the winch pan . All four bolts of the bracket go through the frame and the winch pan . The winch pan acts like a torque box or crossmember . The toe hook bolts also go into the winch plate . This should prevent any frame damage or twisting when using the hooks . The bumper also ties everything together instead of just hanging from the bumper horns .

* things look a bit busy in the picture but it looks close to stock and quite clean in real life .
            Attached Files

Comment

• Spring placement

Bruce, What do you think if a guy works off the pinion degree angle? Do you think it would put thing in perspective as to the spring placement on the frame? The pictures are great helps in mockup build. You do nice work. Did you have a yellow carryall and blue powerwagon with chevy axles? If so how did they run out? Tire wear, driveability? Thanks Bob

Comment

• Pinion angle

Different makes and models will have used different pinion angles . Some dana 60 axles had oiler ramps and baffles to feed the pinion bearing because it was too high to be lubricated without these added modifications .
                The pinion angle is a great way to setup your axle . All you need is to find the correct angle for the axle you have . I know I have seen it for the Ford high pinion axle but I am not sure where .
                I am running a dana king pin axle in my trash truck . Four inch home made lift , with a powerlok from a Ford rear end tucked away in the front . I used a Dodge steering arm and tapered it at the top so that the tie rod end would work from the top and not the bottom . 35 x 12.5 tires on stock rims . Tires have little wear in 3 years , generally the passenger tire will show wear on the outer edge and it is time to rotate the tires . I have run 3 sets of axles under this truck - the dana 60 floats around a bit more than the dana 44 axles BUT the truck does not have a steering stabilizer . The previous axles did use a stabilizer . I did not check the angle on the axle when I tossed it into the truck, tossed in some bearings and seals - NO DEATH WOBBLE .

The only Carryall I own is my present project .
                This shot is of my hot rod and is what I have been tinkering on for the last 3 weeks- might have a PW engine in it....

edit - there is a huge dent in the cowl in front of the driver and the top of the driver side fender was stove in about 4 inches . Jacked the dent out a tiny bit .
                Attached Files

Comment

• Spring placement

Bolt the springs to your axle , if you have the tires you plan on using with the vehicle this is the time to put them on . Slide the axle under the frame and move the axle until the tires are centered under the arch of the fender . Generally a little bit forward of the fender centerline looks better than behind .
                  From here you get to start engineering the brackets and figure out the pinion angle . Before you do any drilling or attaching square up the frame . I test fit my axles first because there is little sense in making the frame square and then chopping out bits and pieces . Got over 100 frame builds under my belt - they all passed inspection and were within specs . Some were tossed together and lots of short cuts were taken .

Comment

• Spring placement

Sounds good now I have to wait on the springs and mounts. Have 39.5 irocks for it. Sweet Rod your building. The ride I've got in the next stall to work on is a 46 plymouth business coupe. Not sure on the platform on that one yet. Thanks Bob

Comment

• 1993 dodge spring eye hight

Just got back from a walk with my wife .
                      Saw a Dodge in a parking lot .
                      Measured it .
                      The rear spring eye is 2 inches lower on the back than the front .
                      So of the three Dodges that I have measured the numbers are the same
                      spring is flat .

Four dead electronic control modules on the car . #5 and the car fired right up .
                      Sure had me stumped . One dead module I can accept but 4 ????

Comment

• WC53 body soldering

I did some body work on a few small dents. I have found out that with a good respirator, and some common sense, the lead work is very easy. It is so much easier than I thought it would be. I will never go back to bondo, or marglass, or any other body putty. The nice thing about lead solder, is that it is closer to the density of the steel, and when properly tinned, it won't come off.

Now off to do about 30 or so more dents.

James

Comment

• What are you using to shape the lead

I used to shape the lead with a vixen file , never had to hit it with a sanding disc or sandpaper . The lead comes off in shavings and is easy to clean up . I found that having some paper and a bucket under the area I was working on made cleanup quite easy and safe .

Bruce

Comment

• A little look at vixen files

http://allshops.org/cgi-bin/communit...=9980107311470

Neat pictures of what has been available in the past . Way cool .
                            One source of Vixen files would be Yardstore .

Comment

• Files

I used the files that Eastwood Co. offers. They cut really fast, and smooth. I only hit it with the sander for about 4 or 5 seconds to prep it for primer. My drivers qrt. panel is taking a little more time. All three body lines have some sort of distortion (1/8" to 1/16" that I couldn't get with the body hammers), some worse than others. I'm up to 5 sticks of lead, just on the lower line, but with the help of a strap of aluminum to give me a guide, it is turning out very nice.
                              Boggs also has a good supply of files.

James

Comment

• spring mount

Hi Bruce, Finally got my 79 frame and springs. Then got looking at my 85 and 97 frames and seen the front spring rear mount brackets and was wondering if they would work instead of building some? What do ya think. Bob

Comment

Working...
                                X