The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That was my intention

If I could have found some brackets that would work I would have used them. The less fabricated you have to do the better your progress will be . After awhile the vehicle will become just another job if the build takes too long , at least I am feeling that way and that is why I am taking a break. As soon as I have the chrysler in good enough condition to drive in and out of the shop I will get back on the Carryall.

The front hangers and brackets are a done deal on my truck but I am going to have another look at the rear just as soon as I get my hot rod squared away .
    Might end up copying whatever you come up with for rear hangers.

Bruce

Comment

• springs

Bruce, I understand sounds like your ready for a vacation. I'm looking at all angles before I even turn a wrench. I've been studying everybodies build and I'm down to a couple ways of ways. Hope the hot rod problem gets worked out. Bob

Comment

• Front springs

The ford springs seem to be too long they end at the cab mount so I'll go look for some shorter springs. What year and model dodge springs are you using? Thank you Bob

Comment

• Springs

1993 Dodge Cummins truck springs . Is the axle in the stock position ? I moved mine forward 1.5 inches and the tire fills the fender arch better than stock . What would happen to the fitment if you move the front spring hanger to the front of the frame ? Would the rear then fit ? Might be possible to drill another hole in the perches if the axle is not where you want it . On my perches I have 3 holes . The stock one and one forward and one set back . This allows for some adjustment when setting up the suspension .

Bruce

Comment

• A voice from the wilderness

Got back to the Carryall yesterday , cleaned out the interior , pulled the floor and took a look at the rear suspension . After looking at it I came away just as frustrated as the previous 20 times I had looked at the suspension . But tonight it all fell into place after about 10 minutes of looking and swinging a shock around .
            So the final set up will be as I originally planned , leaf springs to locate the rear , but on the soft side of support . Air bags to fine tune for load and tube shocks for control .
            Spent a few hours in the firestone site . Now to find a dealer and price .
            The exhaust pipe will be an issue but I may side dump the exhaust .... or luck out and manage to find enough room to snake it through.
            We need some updates .
            I will see what I can do over the next few weeks.

Bruce

Comment

• Still working

I have been working on my WC53, OD version. I almost have the body all done. The roof, with the little clips to hold the top rubber, is the last weldable piece. I have used a hammer and dolly on all the accessible dents, then body soldered and picked and filed every other dent. I am proud to say no BONDO on this one. The hatch back, just got a fresh coat of OD this week end. I used the new flat head screw bolts to see how good it looks. After looking at sandblasted, grinding dust, welds, and any other color of body parts, it is payday when you can attach a piece that is clean and pretty. It is good motivation to see progress. Some times it seems like they will never get done. We have all been there.

The WC4DOOR is next for the rotisserie. Got the axles just sitting under the frame. Looks like I"ll be putting a four link with air bags in the front and rear. Seems to be the cleanest and easiest. I'm still thinking big diesel? No need to rush that idea.

The body work takes the time, and the power train takes the money.

James

Comment

• Almost Done in Iowa

It's been a busy summer so it took me a lot longer than I expected to get the headliner pieces formed but it's installed and looks really good. I just need to set up my paint booth and paint the bows and metal strips that will go above the rear windows. I had an upholsterer finish the carpeting in the front, make a spare tire cover, help me with the vinyl on the roof and glue the fabric on the headliner inserts. I've been driving it the last few weeks to see what other work it needs before winter. I'll try to get some current pictures posted later but here's some older ones that I'm glad are behind me.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Painting and bolting it back together must feel great .

Gary your frame looks good in that OD paint .
                  Air bags for 4x4 . Firestone W01-358-5429 will work the best in the back . Might work fine in the front as well . This bag has the most travel and is starting to be the bag of choice in some 4x4 builds . I am considering the bag for use on the rear of my Carryall .

Bruce

Thanks for the updates

Comment

• Painted part

Here is a picture of my painted hatchback. No BONDO. It feels good to have some parts ready for paint. The upper body is also ready, but will wait until the rest of the body solder is done.

James

Comment

• Really nice! Good fitment. Looks like you are doing an excellent job.
                      DavidGB

Comment

• No shocks in shtock

Went down and ordered the shocks for my carryall over a week ago . Talked to the smart guy behind the counter . Told him to wait until I confirmed that they would fit before ordering them in to the store . So I phoned to confirm and told the younger not so swift counter person to pass the message on to the smart guy . Went down today and there were no shocks for me .
                        That is what happens when you try and make the business work as it should . Next time I will ask for the smart guy , no matter how simple the message some folks will screw things up .

Bruce

Airbags will run about 195 each up in Canada . That is 30 more than the best priced ones in the USA , but I do not have to worry about brokerage or shipping .

Comment

• Air bags

SD Truck $164 free shipping. Don't know if that's to C-Aye, N-Aye, D-Aye.

James

Comment

• Air bags

Excellent deal but they use UPS . UPS will charge brokerage fees when the bags hit the boarder and very often they change carriers too . The costs go up PDQ . What do you think of the bags ? I figure they are about the best ones for a 4x4 and have found no alternatives to date .

Bruce

oh and thanks for looking at the costs on the bags .

Comment

• I have never been a fan of the single convolute airbags I run goodyear dual convolute bags on the rear of my Jeep

Comment

• A friend of mine has had good success with the airbags from these guys.. good prices too
                                http://www.airbagit.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X