The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smaller bags .

A smaller bag would be great but I could not find one that fit my perimeters . The travel length was the issue . If the build was using four bars , the bags could be installed on the bars - the farther up the bar the shorter the bag . The other option is to turn the bags to a horizontal position and create a cantileavered system .

Bruce

Comment

• room for a Jack All

There is room for a Jack All just behind the seat . I am not sure if I will bolt it in place behind the seat or on the outside of the vehicle . Where ever it goes I want it out of the way of peoples heads . I was thinking about recessing it into the running board but the supports are in the way . It would look kind of neat having it set into the board .
      I am going to put a few hours into cleaning the shop before I start on the middle seat .
      Anyone else out there making any progress ?
      Attached Files

Comment

• Just some Highlift, food for thought...

...and a closeup of the lock.

Comment

• That works for me .

I like the lock too . The Jack All on my trash truck is bolted to the headache rack . Works quite well and is out of the way . The base for the jack is separate and hidden away . Nice to hear from you , It has been awhile .

Bruce

Comment

• Middle seat clean up

The middle seat is out of an 88 Dodge van . The seat looks fairly utilitarian and would match the carryall theme , except the quick release looked like an eye sore . The brackets were removed and what is left is just the tube which looks a bit like the original seat brace . Brackets will be added to connect the seat to the floor . Four 1/2 inch bolts to match the rear seat .
            Attached Files

Comment

• No...

I am not making any progress on my 56 PW, but thanks for asking Bruce.
              We are in the middle of building a new shop and showroom for our tractor dealership this spring.
              I go into my shop once in a awhile and run my hand along the hand made bed side just so the truck knows I have not abandoned her.

Comment

• I just looked at a picture of you bed

I was neatening up and sorting magazines yesterday and happened to read your article . I do hope you have a coat of epoxy on that bed , it looks darn nice to my eyes .
                Wish I lived closer , you could hire me to clean up around the business and do odd jobs at a real cheap rate , officially retire at the end of August and I need a means to keep food on the table .
                I am looking for seats that are comfortable for long trips , short backs and either air or torsion suspended . Any ideas ? Bostrom has some interesting seats , as do Sears and a couple of others but finding a source and selecting the right one at a fair price seems to be a bit of a problem . Most OEM seats seem ok when I sit in them but for any kind of long trip I have not found a seat that works for me or my wife .
                Next time I am in Vancouver I may look at some tractor seats .

You take care , I was wondering how you and your family were doing just last night .

take care

Bruce

Comment

• Retirement...

Wow Bruce I had no idea you were getting ready to retire. Maybe now you will have time to finish the truck?
                  I was through your neck of the woods last summer on my way to Egmont for a wedding. I had no time to call and pay you a visit or I would have!

Comment

• Does anyone have any photos of what the brackets/battery box assembly should look like?

Thanks in advance.

Tim

Comment

• Wanna trade ? I show you mine if you show me yours .

So I just went out and lay down in the cold dank dirt and took a photo of the battery box support , then I went up to my storage bin a went through about 10 million parts , battled spiders and sow bug corpses to find the battery tray .
                      So you should share too . Pictures of your fantastic project would be great . I need insentive .
                      The battery support is a stamped and folded affair , the tray is one piece and made from something close to 10 guage . There were two supports under the tray .IMG_5635.jpg The picture of the tray shows the bottom , you can see where the supports attached .

IMG_5637.jpg

Comment

• Thank you Bruce, you prompted me to quit sponging of Gordon and join the site...I'll post some photos of my follies soon!

Comment

• I just received notice of your transaction. Thank you for choosing premium forum membership!
                          Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

• Bruce, are those brackets welded to the frame? I can't tell from the photos.

On a semi-carryall note. I spent the weekend plumbing my shop for air(never did it after moving into a new space) and it has been 25 years since I last worked with black iron pipe, man I thought it was easier...but then a lot of things were.

Now the compressor is plumbed in, water separators and even dust collection to my old cheap HF blast cabinet (with the TP tools gun). The thing actually works now. Ran out of steam today, but this weekend I'm going to blast all the frame brackets and get a coat of paint on them. I also mounted 2 Michelin 11x16 on some combat rims just to see what they look like :) Will post some photos this week as long as you craftsman don't make fun of my feeble progress!!

Keep the thread and info going

Tim

Comment

• The battery tray brackets bolt on

I am using the brackets to hold up my running boards . One on each side . this saved me from making 2 new running board supports . There is no separate battery tray on my truck - just a full board on each side .
                              I worked on my carryall too . Spent several hours double and triple checking the engine alignment in the Carryall today . I kept getting different measurements , got the problem solved now . I went back to measuring from the outside surface of the frame and used a plumb bob and tape on the floor . Things dialed in much better once I went that route .
                              I just pulled the seat riser out and am going to finish the metal under the riser.
                              It is cold up here and I am tired of the slow pace on this thing.

bruce

Comment

• Transfer case cover #2

I was not too impressed with the raised bench that I made for under the front seat . It looked great but access to the rear was limited . Bucket seats would have been very difficult to adjust and room to move the seats forward or fold forward was really difficult . I did have a plan to cut down two bench seats , both would have had the back fold down and both would flip fprward to gain access under the set or get access to the rear . This set up would have looked stock but the comfort of the seat is also a big concern . So I have decided to create an alternative but keep the raised seat riser in case I find this configuration not to my liking . I plan on installing some sort of suspension seat . What I have done is moved the old cover to the passenger side by 2 inches .
                                The clearance was almost enough but I needed a bump to clear the transfer case shifter .
                                I still need to make a cover for the rear yoke on the output shaft from the transfer case . Rear diff cover will most likely work with mods .

The hump was created by pushing , twisting and pounding over some dollies from a piece of flat sheet 11 or 12 guage cold rolled .

Bruce
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X