The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Output yoke cover

I needed a lower cover than the one I made out of the dana axle cover . I ended up pan caking the cover There is a few hours in what you see . I shaved off the top and made a filler piece , curved it and added a tighter radius at the weld are on the sides but kept a soft radius on the toe and heel of the new piece . Now to make the little filler pieces and then add a flange to the center transfer case cover .
    I am still surprised at how many hours it can take to build something that looks so simple .
    Attached Files

Comment

• Factory Looks

Don't be offended Bruce, but you do make it look easy & like it has always been that way! Your welding/fab skills are Superb!

Comment

• and a few hours later

Got it done after about 2 1/2 hours . Takes awhile breaking out the stock , bending and fitting the pieces . I left the front long and then scribed and then trimmed the cover to fit . Blasted and primed it with some rattle can zinc primer . It just needs a few holes drilled for bolts .

take care
        Bruce

You can also see a bit of the new floor that has been tacked in place , it is not flat .
        Attached Files

Comment

• what should the front most bracket that supports the running board look like? I was looking at some photos and there looks like there is a bracket that attaches near or on the front body mount. I didn't have any support there and i am trying to figure out what to put in place.

On a positive note, bought some frame bolts and got the running board brackets and body mounts bolted to the frame. I hope to get the body set in place and square so I can cut out some rusted metal. Also spent way to long sanding a door and neutralizing the rust. Tomorrow the other door and some epoxy primer, if it doesn't rain.

Comment

• I have this picture from 8 years ago (gasp) of my Carryall frame right side. Does this help?
            DavidGB
            Attached Files

Comment

• PS. The wood is not installed yet on the brackets in that picture.
              DavidGB

Comment

• Yes it does, thank you. Only missing one piece and that explains the angle that was welded there.

Tim

Comment

• I had to paint something today just to have some perceived progress. the door still needs a little work but I found out the hard way that everything stored on the second floor of my barn is starting to rust even with picklex on it. :( the other door, well it has more lead in it than Osama....

hope to work on the one remaining running board support (where the spare carrier would have been) tomorrow. Finally making some baby steps.

How long should the carryall running boards actually be from fender to fender?

Keep the thread going,

Tim
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by TK064; 02-06-2012, 08:28 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

• Carryall running board length .

Driver side is 66 3/16 " . The odd thing is that this running board touches both the front and back fender on my Carryall . Even after I built 2 new boards and assembled the Carryall for a test fit the board touches the front fender on the drivers side but misses the passenger side fender by 1/2 an inch . Swapping boards , switching to the old one or trying to adjust the fender has made no difference . I figure it is either unique to this truck or a factory error .

keep the thread going

Bruce

Comment

• 3 more hours on the truck

Yep the whole truck took me 3 hrs to build . 3 hrs here 3 hrs there about a thousand of those 3 hr spots .

I decided that the rusty spot was too pitted to leave so out came the angle grinder and a patch and a new hole were created . Photo # 1

Spot welded the panel in . Photo # 2

Finish welding , ground flush and then sanded . Photo # 3
                      Attached Files

Comment

• That three hour rule is certainly the truth! The "running boards" that came on my truck were welded to the front and rear fenders. At least the welds were poor and it came off easily.

I need to cut open both door post pillars as the bottoms are rotten along with one wheel well and area under the middle drivers side window. My firewall is rust free. At least the parts that don't have holes. My.

Comment

• A few pics since I finally have a phone that takes pictures
                          Attached Files

Comment

• I like your floor

But those fire wall modifications are awesume . Looks like a rot rodder got hold of it and forgot to add the rust . Good photos of the stuff we usually find behind the paint and parts .
                            I was on my way to the shop today and got distracted by the mess in front of the Bay doors . Two and 1/2 hours later it is cleaned up a bit . Boy does the grinding material ever leave a nice rusty stain on the concrete . I am going to have an interesting time removing the rust stain once my wife notices .
                            Also spent an hour beating out a U joint for a friend . It is nice to loan the tools , show them what to do and let them have at it .
                            " This sure beats doing it on the tailgate , I would have been at it for 3 hrs and still not got it done , thanks for showing me how "
                            He had done a lot of U joints on his jeep but they had external clips - his new one had internal clips and needed both caps to come out before the cross could move .

Bruce

Comment

• Bruce in BC suggested that I drop into this thread and say hello so I figured I'd go ahead and do so. Back in 2002 I aquired two old M37s. One I still have and one I gave to my youngest brother because he kept driving mine when I was away at college and I always feared the worst. My M37 was used for camping duties at the family farm all through college but since recently completing my build up of a Jeep, the M37 doesn't get much attention. In 2002 when I got the M37, I remember getting a Boyce Equipment Parts Catalog... on the back of it was a WC53. I fell in love instantly and have wanted one ever since. I have watched this thread off and on through the years now and drooled whenever I would check in here to see people's progress. Being in college, and then starting out in my career, I didn't have the time or money to track one down. Then I got wrapped up in the Rock Crawlers and built a really custom one out my wrangler. Well, now its time for the next project and so here I am! Super excited!

As for the WC53, I somewhat stumbled across one that I had always adored and am so very excited to continue the truck as its a forum local favorite I believe. I have been in contact recently with Mcinfantry from this board and have come to an agreement to obtain and rebuild his WC53. I don't know how I lucked out so well on this and I can't wait to make the journey to retrieve it, but I am very very pleased! His truck is simply amazing and I can't wait to work on it! He is keeping his driveline but I will be doing something very similar, 4bt, modern axles, etc. My intentions are to have something that my wife and I can enjoy on weekends, and I could even comfortably drive to work. I've slowly been reading through this thread and getting caught up on everything I can so that I can hit the ground running when I get the truck home. Looking forward to contributing to this thread as much as I can!
                              1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

Working...
                              X