The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• video

yea it took some time, but i figured that if it hadn't been for others before me who kept me motivated by pix and other cool did tidbits, it may have not have happened, maybe just maybe if one person sees this video it could give them enough inspiration to get back to their project, I tell ya that there is absolutely nothing like the experience of driving a vehicle out of the shop and down the road, that you built from the ground up, I truly hope you enjoyed. now get back to it.

Comment

• any computer savy folks that can help me out. The youtube video is all green when I try to play it. I am certain I am missing something.

Comment

• Scott, great job on your truck and video!

I agree there is nothing like the feeling you have when you go on your first ride after years of work on a restoration. Again, great job.

Comment

• Hooray! More parts! These should look snazzy on the back of the truck. Picked up a pair of Left side M37 lights. I am going to look into making them as bright as possible. The previous owner used Ford Model A housings with LED lenses and bulbs. I am wondering if there is a way to install a much brighter bulb into these or modify the inside of the lense to be a good bit brighter.

Also, I think I am going to install the emergency vehicle "flicker" relay. When it gets power it kinda flutters a few times to get your attention. I believe that they are technically illegal here in VA, except for on emergency vehicles. However, being that the truck is so old, I can try and pass it off as "old wiring", as I've seen a lot of old vehicles that the lights flicker when turned on simply due to old switch contacts.
          1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

• I believe there is a LED conversion for the M series lamp KAEGI might know something about them? They were all over epay for quite a while?

Comment

• Almost too nice to hack up but making an LED array behind the lens opening would probably do what you wanted without any concerns about heat. Not a bulb, but an actual array of bulbs the shape of the opening pointing out. The LEDs may not have as much total output but its very directional and vibrant.

Comment

• Pricy!

These are not the ones I was speaking of.......

http://www.ledlight.com/automotive-led-lights.aspx

Comment

• Thanks guys! I thought about making my own array for the lense and then covering it to make it look decent. I'll mess with some stuff when the time comes around. Today I also got my headlight guards delivered and a set of rear bumperettes also. Now its just headlight buckets, front turn signals, and then a few interior parts and I have a complete truck!

Comment

• Working on the frame

Got it painted in epoxy primer . Painted the inside of the frame with top coat where the cross members bolt in . Everything is loose . Once the frame is painted I will square up the frame and then start tightening up every nut and bolt .
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Bruce, you scare me. You are reminding me how tedious these projects are in order to attend to every true detail. End result will be worth it though!

I had some more parts show up finally! My wife was confused by the different shaped grill guards.. I may end up building one to match the larger one to cover both of the turn signals. I know it won't be correct but it will be less confusing looking since I don't think I'll be running a BO light.

Also did some more work on the rear cross frame. This is the framing and will be skinned yet and a top plate installled before that happens also.

Comment

• carryall for sale ???

Any one see this one ?
                        Inland Empire Craigslist
                        1-951-966-6073
                        Post some pictures if possible ... even if it is an M37

Comment

• Headlight Guards

ALxj64....I made a reversed duplicate of the smaller passenger side guard for the driver's side and then used the small BO lights for the turning signals. They are small for turning signals but I think they look cool when blinking and they are original to the truck. You can see the guard in post #1287 above. Yes there is a lot of little things to do but that's what makes it fun.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Weaklend View Post
                            ALxj64....I made a reversed duplicate of the smaller passenger side guard for the driver's side and then used the small BO lights for the turning signals. They are small for turning signals but I think they look cool when blinking and they are original to the truck. You can see the guard in post #1287 above. Yes there is a lot of little things to do but that's what makes it fun.
                            Thanks Gary! Yea, I was considering doing the same. I like the looks of the old Arrow Vintage Turn Signals too, so I may end up using the bigger guards. Not sure what route I want to go just yet. Either way I will probably end up reproducing a matching pair and then re-selling these to someone doing a legit restoration since they can be a touch hard to source sometimes.

One of the rear bumperettes has a decent sized dent in it. Trying to decide if I want to mess with straightening that out or just leaving it as "patina".

Comment

• One of those super aggravating days

So I finally got around to hooking up a vent system on my blast cabinet . I have a portable dust collector so I moved it out side and ran 4 inch dryer hose to the cabinet . Works great , any dust that escapes is outside and I wear a hepa type mask as backup . So I figure that is one problem down .
                              I also fooled around with hose lengths and access to the sand in the cabinet because the syphon gun never seemed to work right . Got that working yesterday as well .
                              This morning all went well for about 10 minutes and then the darn syphon gun started to act up . After fooling with it for about 2 hrs I managed to break it . Which was fine with me . It felt good tossing it in the garbage . I then loaded all the unblasted parts into my truck to take to the local blaster . The only problem is his inbox is full and no one has seen him in weeks . He makes enough to go on a crack binge and does not stop until he runs out of cash or folks who will supply him . So several phone calls later and I it becomes clear I pretty much need to catch the ferry and head for Vancouver .
                              So I go to change the oil on my truck and find the tire is flat and then I see that I have been sold the wrong oil filter . Turns out there are 2 and the store only had the one , which i took , which does not fit .
                              Tomorrow i am off to Vancouver in my Honda Civic , I wonder how many 50 lb bags of blasting sand I can get in the Honda ?

Bruce

So instead of having a tantrum , I vaccumed the house , fired up the chipper for an hour and then climbed up on the roof and scrubbed the ski lights and split a weeks supply of kindling .

Comment

• Its always something isn't it?^ I feel your pain though, any time I "think" I have a bunch of free time to work on the WC, something else always steps up to take that time away. Lately the pinched nerve in my neck has been crushing my motivation.

I did however tinker around in the shop a little more last night. Between helping numerous friends with their various projects, I was able to cut down and brake an angle into a piece of sheet metal to start covering the rear of the truck. I am hoping I can roll this thing some to get the radius out of it without it warping or kinking. Its amazing how much a little 1/2" wide leg adds to the rigidity of sheet metal. I guess thats the theory behind modern "unibody" vehicle construction.

Comment

Working...
                                X