The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front windshield

I hope this is going to work . I got the two pieces of window glass urethaned into the bottom 1/2 of the frame . I taped up everything except for a small strip of glass and frame that I wanted the urethane to stick to. The bottom of the window channel has a light coat of grease . I want to be able to remove the glass if it breaks and having the whole channel full of urethane would make glass replacement next to impossible. I think I used up eight pairs of disposable gloves.

Happy birthday to Alex from me and the folks on this thread.

250,000 hits not too shabby.

You can see the crack in the front window opening on the Carryall . This happens from body flex. Also the window frame is placed at the top for a test fit.
    Attached Files

Comment

• my carryall

This is the current state of my rig. Its taken a few years to get this far. Its a 1942 carryall wc-53 on a 97 ram 2500 frame, suspension and powertrain. This is what Bruce saw on youtube.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by vtunderground53 View Post
        This is the current state of my rig. Its taken a few years to get this far. Its a 1942 carryall wc-53 on a 97 ram 2500 frame, suspension and powertrain. This is what Bruce saw on youtube.
        Looks like you're off to the races on that project. With a lot to do yet as well. I see a few shiny spots where you've been working.
        I have to ask though is that Vermont granite or old tarps on the left wall of garage?

Comment

• A great history shot . love the cab over

Is this cool or what?
          Attached Files

Comment

• work to do and done

Just old tarps unfortunately, Bob, separating the barn. No Vt granite here. I've made some new door jambs, side panels and rear fenders. Next is to work on the three doors and front fenders. Its fun to be out in the barn.

Comment

• Everyone here is making good progress! VTunderground, I stumbled across your video a little while back and even one of your neighbors stalked me on Facebook to tell me that he knows two people now that are working on these trucks, this is back when I had the Blue '43 Rat rod looking one for sale.

Bruce, that photo was my Facebook cover photo for quite some time. Its completely awesome! I have a feeling that if I keep playing my cards right I am going to hopefully be able to recreate that photo someday.

Also, thanks for the 30th Bday wishes. I needed a quick swift kick in the tail from some of the seasoned builders around... I asked for it on DPW.com forum and boy did I ever get it! I have taken quite a bit of the advice too. I finished up one of my last few major side jobs this weekend and have made it a point to keep saying no as more stuff has been coming in. I need to focus on MY truck. If I worked on it only 10% of the time I spend daydreaming about driving it, I'd have been done building it a year or more ago.

In regards to it, I have my rear over the axle cross member design detailed out and dimensioned on paper. Waiting on some tooling to show up (those dimple die flared hole tools you mentioned a while back Bruce), that way I can use a little thinner gauge steel but still keep plenty of rigidity. I am excited to start working on my Carryall again. Thanks all for the motivation.
              1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alxj64 View Post
                If I worked on it only 10% of the time I spend daydreaming about driving it, I'd have been done building it a year or more ago.
                Me too, if only daydreaming about it was as easy as building it! Getting ready for color and clear and honestly my biggest problem now is me. It's making me nervous and trying to calm down and do it is the hardest part so far.

Comment

• Need interior window frame picture

IMG_1052.jpgIMG_1051.jpg
                  I think I am missing a bracket for each side of my window frame. Anyone got an interior picture of what the frame looks like mounted? Or a picture of the frame with the brackets on the frame? I think I might have a small problem….

Look at that! I moved the pictures above the text. Just a bit of eye candy.

Comment

• So daydreaming further down the road of the small details... I like to get a plan together well in advance so that I can change it in my mind rather than change it on the truck after the fact.

My daydreaming of late has been about headlight size and turn signal placement. I liked the buckets that were on the Tetanus the Menace "Blue Carryall" that I rescued recently. They appeared to be the post war "Lighting" upgrade. They had turn indicators on top of them but the problem was that they were huge housings and made opening the hood quite the nightmare. My other thoughts were to reproduce a set of wire grills to match the larger driver's side and then use some old double sided "Arrow" turn signals to (or modify a blackout light) into the front signals using some LEDs and amber Lexan.

What size are the bulbs for the headlights on these trucks? 7" 5" ? I've seen the bulbs with the turn signal built into the headlight bulb too. Those are kinda cool but I think that the VA state police don't like them. The Jeep world tried adopting them locally and the complaint was that you can't see the turn signal well at night and that the signals shoold also double as vehicle edge marker lights...

Comment

• Lighting the Carryall.

Sounds like your brain is in gear.
                      The lights on your blue carryall were made buy Guide, they came stock on some trucks in the 40s and were an after market light of the time. Repo guide lights are now available.
                      I am working on a body rotisserie, of course I ran out of mig mix last night. It will be a week before I can get more. I used every bit of scrap I have to create the cradle, the parts that look like an engine stand I borrowed from a fellow who had them laying around.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
                        Sounds like your brain is in gear.
                        The lights on your blue carryall were made buy Guide, they came stock on some trucks in the 40s and were an after market light of the time. Repo guide lights are now available.
                        I am working on a body rotisserie, of course I ran out of mig mix last night. It will be a week before I can get more. I used every bit of scrap I have to create the cradle, the parts that look like an engine stand I borrowed from a fellow who had them laying around.
                        Yes! You are correct on the "Guide" lights... I couldn't remember the name for the life of me.

I am closing in on being done with my frame "modifications". The steering box fitment is oh so close and tight that I think I may have to make some countersink frame slugs for the strut tower hardware to have room to fit on the inside near the steering box. An oversight in design on my part but something remedied if needed. I'll have some more pictures soon.

The increase in rigidity of the frame from the plating work is phenomenal and beyond my expectations. The open C-channel was twisty, and had a significant amount of spring in it. The true measure of its success will be when the body goes back on. Depending on where I had the jack stands under the truck, the front doors were either very easy to open and close or they were sticky and required lifting or pushing to get them to line up and latch properly. This was a great indication of how much frame deflection I was getting. It was a lot of work just for something that "appears" so simple... but the end result of the labor appears to have been worth it thus far. Finishing up some transverse welds here soon and then flipping the frame back to right side down, and building my rear over the axle cross member / fuel tank support / rear shock upper reaction points. Then fuel cell, engine back in, fuel lines, finish exhaust and probably start the thing up! I just want to hear the motor fire one time.

Comment

• thanks for that update Alex

If I am not satisfied with my frame it will get a light roll cage and if that does not work I will box the frame in situ. I am sure glad you saved those patterns on your CNC plasma machine and have the boxing plates available as a kit . This will save a lot of time .
                          Lights - I am running some old style King Bees with seven inch glass. Because the cans are so small the light looks smaller and looks period correct. My only concern is the lights will vibrate lose on their stanchions.

Fire up - go for it, the only thing better is the first drive. Which is followed by a decent long drive.

Comment

• Window Frame Pictures

[QUOTE=Bruce in BC Anyone got an interior picture of what the frame looks like mounted? [/QUOTE]

Bruce, there are 5/8" oak strips on the top and sides of the windows that the window trim pieces screw to. I cut the oak for the back window in half so it would bend and then glued it together in place. I tried to load another picture that shows the oak after I painted it black but it said I've already posted it on this thread. I didn't do a search to find it but it's on the Carryall Thread somewhere.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by divingrocks View Post
                              another one bites the dust...
                              Actually DR, I see it that I have resurrected this from the woods in which it laid and have given it a new incarnation in which it may live and be appreciated again, perhaps for another seventy years.

Alex, your frame work is impressive. That should be quite stout. I'm sure the motor will sound great too. I start mine once in a while for a boost of encouragement when some aspect is intimidating. Reminds me that it will see the road eventually.

Gary, I am quite envious of the condition of the sheetmetal in your pics. It looks all original.

I started on fabrication of new front fenders as the originals were scarcely rusted outlines. These are also 7 inches longer and 2 inches wider to accommodate for stretching the hood and the wider stance.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Battery location

Is that going to be your battery location under the front fender?
                                Frankly your whole truck body was a template and not much of one at that. A lot better trucks than yours have been parted out or fed to the crusher because they were thought "not worth the effort"

Thanks Gary . I meant the front window but your shots help with other areas anyway . I am missing the angle brackets that bolt to the front window. These are the brackets that the arms for the window supports bolt to.

Comment

Working...
                                X