Help identifying this PW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help identifying this PW

Greetings. Avid Jeep restorer/builder here, but new to this site and Power Wagons.

I acquired the PW pictured below about 2 years ago. I'm finally getting around to working on the title paperwork. Problem is, I don't know what year it is. Previous owner never bothered to transfer the title from the owner before him because he just used it on a farm. But both previous owners swear it's a 1957 model. No previous title or registration documents were found by either previous owner.

Door tag lists it as model WF-32, doesn't list the model year, and if I run the serial number through the VIN decoder at T137.com, it claims it to be a 1 - 1.5 ton, 1946-1947. Through some other searches, I found a clip from an old manual that says it's a 1.5 ton, model year 1941-1947.

I tried looking on the frame for serial numbers (in case there was a body swap previously), but haven't found anything through the rust.

Any ideas of what to look for to help me verify the model year?

Thanks,

- Jerry

Jerry,Third series box on the truck would be right for a 1957.

Comment

Based on the Grille, it has a 230, so pre 1961.

Is it a key or foot pedal start?

1 Ton Power Wagon, not 1.5 ton.

Frame Serial Number will be on the left frame rail between the front axle spring mount and the axle. stamped in approx. 1/2" numbers.

http://www.dodgepowerwagon.com/main/model.htm
      I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
      Will
      WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
      1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
      1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
      1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
      2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Jerry,

My guess it that it is between 1955 and 1960. I see that it has a third series bed and the smaller front shocks. That puts it after 1955. I also see that it has the front grill even with the radiator cowl that gives it a 230 engine which was last installed in 1960.

The VIN is llike the one that was on a 1946 WF-31 that I had. This truck is not a WF series.

There is usually a number stamped in to the frame in the area around the left front shock. Sometimes its easy to see, sometimes not.

You can also check the wheels. Between two of the lugs you will see a two digit number stamped on it. If all four wheels have the same number, it’s also a good indication of the year.

Does your truck have a heater? On the bottom of the heater there is a vent door to warm your feet. I noticed a yellow stamp on the inside of the vent door with a date on it.

Just a few quick thoughts.

Steve in NJ

Comment

Welcome

Welcome to your new home Jlaker!

Nice rig! The guys here will probably be able to tell you the DAY this thing was made, maybe even which shift pushed it out the door! HAHA

They're that good.

Bucky

Comment

Originally posted by Steve in NJ View Post
            Jerry,

My guess it that it is between 1955 and 1960. I see that it has a third series bed and the smaller front shocks. That puts it after 1955. I also see that it has the front grill even with the radiator cowl that gives it a 230 engine which was last installed in 1960.

The VIN is llike the one that was on a 1946 WF-31 that I had. This truck is not a WF series.

There is usually a number stamped in to the frame in the area around the left front shock. Sometimes its easy to see, sometimes not.

You can also check the wheels. Between two of the lugs you will see a two digit number stamped on it. If all four wheels have the same number, it’s also a good indication of the year.

Does your truck have a heater? On the bottom of the heater there is a vent door to warm your feet. I noticed a yellow stamp on the inside of the vent door with a date on it.

Just a few quick thoughts.

Steve in NJ
            Steve, thanks! I looked the frame over pretty good in that area, but I can't find a single digit. I did, however, find a "57" in all 4 wheels.

O.K., so if it's looking probable for being a '57, but the VIN tag is showing it as a WF-32, with a VIN that decodes into the '40s, is it likely that someone swapped out the body as part of a resto (not according to the last 15 years of owners)? Or did Dodge have a habit of throwing old left-over bodies onto newer trucks?

I'm getting a Pennsylvania DMV title created from scratch (no previous titles found in any of the previous states to transfer a title from), so since the only VIN I can find is the one on the door tag, is there any harm in me titling a '57 with what appears to be a non-57 VIN? And if it's not a WF-32, what model would this be?

Thanks all!

- Jerry

Comment

Jerry,

Sounds like a 57. Yes it's possible the body was changed without changing the Tag. As for as the frame number, you might have to sand the area depending upon how much paint was put over the numbers. Again it's on the drivers side front rail .

Thanks,
              Will
              WAWII.com

Comment

There ia also a number on the engine and trans.

The engine date number is raised and located just to the left and under the dist. The trans date tag is on the driverside in the area above where your PTO would be.

What part of PA are you from?

Steve in NJ

Comment

Originally posted by W_A_Watson_II View Post
                  Jerry,

Sounds like a 57. Yes it's possible the body was changed without changing the Tag. As for as the frame number, you might have to sand the area depending upon how much paint was put over the numbers. Again it's on the drivers side front rail .
                  Thanks Will. Yeah, I'm down beyond the paint and into the wire-brushed semi-rusty frame, and the numbers seem to be long gone. BTW, it's a key start. And a 12V system.

Thanks,

- Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by Steve in NJ View Post
                    There ia also a number on the engine and trans.

The engine date number is raised and located just to the left and under the dist. The trans date tag is on the driverside in the area above where your PTO would be.

What part of PA are you from?

Steve in NJ
                    Cool, good to know. I'll keep looking for numbers.... :-)

In PA, I'm about an hour northwest of Philly.

Thanks!

- Jerry

Comment

Thanks Steve, found the engine tag easily enough. Nice to see numbers that you don't need to work to hard to decode.

I've got A123230*I657*

So, 230 cu inch, I6, 1957.

Based on all this, what model is this rig most likely?

Thanks again for all the quick help!

- Jerry

Comment

From the Model Year Detail: http://www.dodgepowerwagon.com/main/model.htm
                        1957 K6-W300 Starting serial # 83952001

Thanks,
                        Will
                        WAWII.com

Comment

WF swap?

I don't think it has a body swapped from a WF on it. Look at the area under the door/above the running board. It has the narrow, or thin "rockers" that you see on all WDX/Wm's. On the WF I have and all the pictures I've seen of other trucks, that piece is a lot thicker.
                          I don't know what the four wheel drive 1.5 tonners look like, though, so I could be mistaken.

Comment

Originally posted by chewie View Post
                            I don't think it has a body swapped from a WF on it. Look at the area under the door/above the running board. It has the narrow, or thin "rockers" that you see on all WDX/Wm's. On the WF I have and all the pictures I've seen of other trucks, that piece is a lot thicker.
                            I don't know what the four wheel drive 1.5 tonners look like, though, so I could be mistaken.
                            Odd, so it's appearing to have the year-correct 1957 body on it, but just a late 1940s WF VIN tag swapped in? Interesting.

I did confirm the engine, wheels, etc. are all bearing 1957 stampings, but I'll never know what the frame once said. It looks like someone either grafted or plated-over the front sections of the frame, at least the outside of the frame rails, with some new metal at some point.

Perhaps a previous owner, in an attempt to make this thing street legal again, and without access to the original VIN on the frame due to the repair, bought a title/VIN tag off a salvage vehicle, and tagged it to this rig.

If rigs could talk.....

In any event, thanks for all the help, folks. I'm going to use 1957 as the model year when I title it in PA, and lacking any other numbers anywhere on the rig, I'll just use the existing VIN. Even though it's not a year-correct VIN, it's the only VIN I got. I guess I could get creative and stamp a new number that's in the correct range, but that hardly seems worth it.

- Jerry

Comment

If it has the correct T137 Engine I wonder if the Chrysler Historical guys can find your build card and provide the VIN number. http://www.chryslerheritage.com/news...id=390&mid=135 http://www.dodgepowerwagon.com/best/buildcards.html

Thanks,
                              Will
                              WAWII.com

Comment

Working...
                              X