canister oil filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you would like Spin-On convenience

The Baldwin B-164 is a great filter. It is the by-pass type just as the original, Baldwin also furnishes a filter head for it. The filter has an internal flow orfice necessary in by-pass filtration. It only requires an inlet and outlet tube and head mounting (3 bolts) in a convenient spot and you are all set. We have mounted it similar to the original on the engine using a simple in house fabricated bracket and on the firewall. No mess of dealing with a sock or cartridge, no housing to drain and clean. Just spin off the used element and spin on a new one. drain and refill the oil and go. I don't recall the filter head # right now, but have some at the shop and can easily get the # if anyone has interest. We have used this conversion for years, always a good result. Very simple to put in place and to service.

Comment

Paul brings up a good point about terminology. When we discus oil filtration systems for our old trucks, it is very easy to quickly find ourselves comparing apples to oranges. This us understandable when one considers that not all of our Dodges, not even those of the same model or model year, were equipped with the same style of filtration system. We may find ourselves trying to compare filtration systems from different companies as these systems were not designed in-house at Dodge, but were supplied by outside vendors. I admit that I have contributed to the confusion, as I do not always use the correct terminology. Some of the names we (I) use tend to become kind of generic whether out of convenience or simple ignorance. When in doubt, I try to go back to the parts literature as a basis to start from.

A quick look at the factory parts lists show that there were a few different filtration systems used during the short ten years between the 1946 through 1956. In comparing these unique systems, one finds that there were differences in the filter container (what I have been referring to as “housing” and what Paul referred to as “canister”). The parts lists actually refer to this part as “BODY – Service in kit assy”. Each body required unique mounting brackets and straps (or “clamps” depending upon which parts lists one looks in). Each body used a different style of cover (what I have been referring to as “housing cap” and “lid”). Each system used a different style of filter (what I have been referring to as “filter”, “filter element”, and “element” and what Paul referred to as “filter element”. Most of the parts lists refer to this part as “CARTRIDGE, Oil Filter, Assembly”.

Here is where it gets confusing, especially when one has numerous parts lists to consult. For unknown reasons the technical writers of the parts lists did not always follow uniform naming conventions. On some pages and in some images, the lists refer to the “cartridge” as “replaceable element”. On other pages and images, the simple term “filter” is used. I guess I am in good company when it comes to using generic terms. In any case, the individual parts making up any one filtration system – Body, Brackets, Straps, Cover, Tubes (supply lines), Cartridge, etc., were designed to work together as a unit and were all unique to the system developed by the company who manufactured and marketed it.

I am familiar with only one style, or make, of filtration system that was used on our trucks. For whatever reason, all that I have owned have shared this one system. Paul talks about another system that I am completely unfamiliar with, the Military Junior. I have never owned a truck with one of these systems. Paul has apparently owned several. I try to stick to what I know and try not to comment on what I am unfamiliar with. I think for this thread, however, it is fair to mention some of these that I am less than familiar with. For these, I will share only what I find in the parts lists. I will start with what I am least familiar with and work up to the system that all of my trucks have been equipped with.

There was a filtration system used on some of our trucks that required most of the parts be replaced when the oil was changed. This is shown in some parts lists as: “FILTER, MoPar Oil, Assembly (Non-Cleanable Type)”. In other lists it is shown as “FILTER (sealed can type)”. The unit was sealed as an assembly – Body, Cover, and Cartridge. The oil supply lines had to be unscrewed from the assembly and the assembly unbolted from the Brackets and Straps, discarded, and replaced as a unit during changing of the engine oil. I have seen very little discussion of this particular filtration system.

Another filtration system used on some of our trucks was known as the “Cleanable Type”. It employed a replaceable cartridge that resembled a large can of PorknBeans. The cartridge was all steel on the outside. The sides were perforated with many small holes, and the cartridge had a through hole from top to bottom. There appears to have been several variations of this system with different sizes of cartridges employed. I believe the system that Paul is most familiar with (Military Junior) used this type of cartridge. I usually refer to all of these hard cylindrical metallic cartridges as “canister type filters”, because to me, they resemble a small can or canister. Some of these systems used a center stem (vertical tube) in the center of the body that had an umbrella shaped bell around the stem a couple inches above the bottom of the body. This bell held the cartridge up off the bottom of the body in order to create a cavity below for the sediment to collect. Some of these systems employed a spring between the cover and cartridge to force the cartridge down to the bell. The cartridge usually sealed tight to the stem in the center of the body with grommets at both the top and bottom of the cartridge. In some of the versions, the cartridge did not fit tight in the bore of the body. Oil entered into the body on the side near the cover and exited the body on the underside. Parts lists show these types of systems as being produced by Purolator. Motor Improvements is also shown as being a supplier. I believe their cartridges were of metallic perforated can shape also.

The filtration system that I am most familiar with was also known as a “Cleanable Type”. It employed a replaceable cartridge that resembled a roll of toilet paper covered with a sock. Most of us refer to these cartridges as “sock type filters”. These cartridges sealed to the bore of the body and to the very top of the stem located in the center of the body. Unlike the “canister type” they did not seal to the bottom of the stem and the stem did not employ any umbrella shaped bell stop anywhere along its length. The cover employed a semispherical shaped perforated dome to press the cartridge down and inward tight against the center stem of body. No spring was used. Oil entered into the body at its underside and exited on the side near the cover. Parts lists show these systems as being produced by DeLuxe Clear Oil.

Something I have never mentioned before, for fear of confusing the issue even more, is that some competitors of DeLuxe produced versions of their own cartridges to work in place of, or to improve upon, the original “sock type filters” in the DeLuxe Clear Oil systems. Some of these used a “sock type filter” of an entirely different design that actually did seal to the bottom of the center stem. Some were smaller in overall diameter and did not seal to the interior bore of the body. Some required a conversion kit and some replaced the “sock type filter” with a “canister type”. Some of these companies were designing replacement cartridges with the intent of capturing the sediment in the cartridge and not letting it settle to the bottom of the DeLuxe body sump where it had to be cleaned out by hand. There were also instances where trucks were ordered without filtration systems. Some were added aftermarket either dealer installed or by the customer. Fram was one of the companies offering systems to fit our trucks. Along with the confusion caused by these orphan specialized replacement cartridges is the problem that many times former owners simply installed whatever happened to fit the bore of the body. We open the cover on the filtration system on a truck we recently purchased and believe what we find inside to be correct. This is not always the case.

Along with the problems of the terminology we use and the chance that we begin to compare apples to oranges, comes the inherent Internet forum problem where threads start out on one subject and evolve to another, sometimes related, sometimes completely unrelated, subject.

Olgraybeard asked for help in finding a “canister oil filter”. From his description, I believe he was asking for a hard metallic perforated can shaped cartridge. I don’t believe we succeeded in providing him much help. Instead, the topic turned to NAPA #1011 sock type oil filter cartridges.

So, questions that developed along the course of the thread remain. We know that cartridges produced for Wix and sold by various suppliers under their own number (i.e.: NAPA 1011) are currently being produced by various vendors, some located in countries other than the U.S., and most of these are oversized in diameter. We also know that several individuals from the Power-Wagon community have been in contact with representatives at Wix over the past few years and that Wix does not sell enough of these cartridges to see it as a problem needing their attention. We also know that Vintage Power Wagons used to sell the very same Wix cartridge and now sells a cartridge from another application that is also close but not quite correct. Word has it that they are also looking into the problem.

In answer to Paul’s concern, I do not have faith in the system. I believe we eventually will not be able to by a new replacement sock type cartridge for our DeLuxe filtration systems. For now, I am reluctantly willing to use a bigger hammer or a piece of baler twine to coax the available cartridges into position.

In answer to Gmharris’s question, I am not sure whether the NAPA 1011 is the most suitable choice at this time. I have not tried the Baldwin JC 405 or the IH offering from Vintage for comparison. I actually do like the current Wix supplied, overseas produced, NAPA 1011 better than the versions from several years ago even if they fit tight. They still are very easy to remove from the body when changing oil, so the oversize seems to come into play only upon installation. I believe the current design without the steel plate and grommet is closest to the original DeLuxe design.

Attached here is an image taken from the 1954 MoPar Parts List for Dodge Power Wagon, #D-14474. It shows a sock type cartridge having no rubber grommet at the top. The cartridge sealed to the center stem of the body near the top of the stem. Pressure from the dome shaped piece on the underside of the cover forced the fabric folds of the cartridge tight against the stem.

The style of cartridge in the image is reminiscent of the cartridges I was buying back in the early 1980’s. I believe they were made by Hastings. Sometime in the 1980’s, I switched to the NAPA 1011 when the old auto store I had shopped at closed. I never really liked the rubber grommet on the old NAPA 1011 cartridges. I never found one that fit really tight to the center stem of the body. They could not be forced to fit tighter to the stem with the cover above. I believe the newer NAPA 1011 filters flex under pressure from the cover above an fit tighter with their fabric design and are also closer to the original design.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Clint Dixon; 05-09-2010, 10:28 AM. Reason: content

Comment

The pictures should help.

There are pictures of the two predominant types shown on my Kempner Power Wagon Museum web site as listed by Clint in an earlier post. I thought the photos clearly showed the housing/cannister/body differences and the two different replaceable elements.

Obviously, these pictures are not worth a thousand words. And the thousand words have not been much help, either. At what other angles should these photos be taken to help identify the type filtration system.

Note that the tops/covers of the two types are also different. One is held in place by a "T" handle, and the other requires a wrench to remove it.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Cook View Post
          When you use the word "filter", you must add the noun that the adjective "filter" modifies. There are two types of "filter CANISTER" and each filter CANISTER requires a different "filter ELEMENT". I use the word, “CANISTER” to describe the exterior housing into which the “ELEMENT” is inserted.

Moreover, each type of "filter CANISTER" is plumbed into the oil galleys differently so that the oil in one type CANISTER flows in the opposite direction from the oil in the other type CANISTER.

Discussions on this subject have revealed that the primary current producer of these filter ELEMENTS, WIX, is aware of dimensional differences that has resulted in confusion of part numbers.

It is gratifying to see that some of you have implicit faith in the system and will use a BIGGER HAMMER to make any ELEMENT from a supplier fit the particular CANISTER in your truck. My experience with suppliers has not left me with that much confidence.
          Paul, as you are pointing out the difference between the filter "element" and the filter "canister", you should concider the difference between "producer" and "supplier". Wix does not "produce" any sock-type filter, they "supply" them as "produced" from outside manufacturers.

The Wix rep that I spoke with told me the founder of Wix (Mr. Wix) invented the sock-type filter. He was from a southern town heavily populated with textile mills. He went into these mills and cleaned up their scraps and used them for the filter media.

C.D.
          1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
          1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
          2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
          1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
          1954 Ford 860 tractor
          1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
          UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

A comforting thought, we filter the oil with scraps shoveled up off the floor. Kinda like filtering drinking water by running it through a manure pile ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Cheyenne Dave View Post

I had a lengthy face-to-face meeting with the Wix factory rep last month. They sell under 1,000 1011 units annually and they apparently have no incentive to correct the problem. The IH filter is hardly any better...
              C.D.

Well THIS news is depressing...I'm in need of two 1011 elements for a '57 WM300 at work, so I guess I will have to do some more research!

Comment

Originally posted by pwrwagonfire View Post
                Well THIS news is depressing...I'm in need of two 1011 elements for a '57 WM300 at work, so I guess I will have to do some more research!
                You may have already seen the post I did earlier in this thread concerning the spin-on replacement filter. If your trucks are used commercially, it is a super good retrofit. Easy to install and servicing the filter is a snap, offers better filtration also. It is the best solution to this problem unless you are a purist that doesn't desire to change from original.

Comment

Spin on filters for a WDX

Is there a way to install the spin on filter type system on a '47 WDX's 230 cu in engine? If so, who sells the parts?

I agree that the original set up does not provide the best oil filtering.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaWDX View Post
                    Is there a way to install the spin on filter type system on a '47 WDX's 230 cu in engine? If so, who sells the parts?

I agree that the original set up does not provide the best oil filtering.

Thanks
                    I can give you part #'s for local purchase of the components. What I was speaking of here is a bypass type system that functions the same as original, it uses a spin-on type filter that has a better filter media than the original element type. PM me if you would like further info.

Comment

Working...
                    X