Flat Fender Power Wagon Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Norm.... corner what corner?

all 4 corners of my garage are filled, with non flat fender, W series, 70 era ,lifestyle, adult toy, Dodge Power Wagon truck parts.

Comment

Originally posted by 74w300uteline View Post
      all 4 corners of my garage are filled, with non flat fender, W series, 70 era ,lifestyle, adult toy, Dodge Power Wagon truck parts.
      Tell me about it..... = )

Comment

To be semi-serious here, It starts with nomenclature.
        As a veteran of a number of collectors organizations, I have noticed a trend towards stratification and eventually elitism .
        This usually begins with nomenclature, an agreed upon vocabulary that seeks to describe the mutually collected item.
        Once the arbiters of this vocabulary have accomplished their goal they find themselves casting about for a new "reason d'etre" . This often manifests in an attempt to create cadres of followers who also seek to have their authority recognized. I have encountered these people in the both the Packard and Buick organizations and to a lesser extent Chrysler .
        I have seen these elitists run people with immaculately restored vehicles out of the organization due to petty jealousy or over trivial minutiae .
        Inevitably the people who originally founded these outfits are supplanted by the elitists. I refer to this as the Bundeswehr effect. It occurs not just in cars and trucks , but in stamps ,coins, glassware and virtually any collectable around which collectors attempt to organize. Not to mention political parties.
        I don't say this occurs in all collectors organizations but there are sufficient examples to render a conclusion that it is more apt to happen than not.
        It was my understanding that the acronym FFPW simply endeavored to separate the WDX,B1,B2,C3,C4,W300M and WM300 from the W series trucks to limit confusion while asking or answering a question in print as opposed to speech. It seems a resonable expediant to me although I'm no expert and I've probably excluded some model or other from my list.
        Taken altogether the alphabet soup of one ton powerwagon designators can seem quite daunting and offputting to the novice.
        I would truly hate to see such an inclusive bunch of good natured individuals resolve into a cell of divisive mavens full of petty enmity.
        I believe the expression "we have bigger fish to fry" is relevant to this debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Thompson View Post
          It was my understanding that the acronym FFPW simply endeavored to separate the WDX,B1,B2,C3,C4,W300M and WM300 from the W series trucks to limit confusion while asking or answering a question in print as opposed to speech. It seems a resonable expediant to me although I'm no expert and I've probably excluded some model or other from my list.
          Bob,

Your point is well taken, but…

To really avoid confusion, the system Dodge put in place is a good one, and it truly is simple. There isn’t anything hard about it.

WDX 1945-1947
          B-1-PW 1948-1949
          B-2-PW 1950
          B-3-PW 1951
          B-4-PW 1952-1953
          C-1-PW 1954
          C-3-PW 1955-1956
          C-4-PW 1956
          W300 1957
          W300M 1958-1959
          WM300 1960-1971

Imagine a scenario in which a newcomer to the hobby bought a truck that is lacking bedsides. I’ll call this person newcomer #1. Newcomer #1 doesn’t know much about the truck except that it is what some people call a "flatfender". He would like to bring his “flatfender” back to original condition so he gets on the forums and asks if someone has bedsides for sale. Actually, his post reads like this: WTB BEDSIDES FFPW

Not enough information.

Unknowingly, he has opened a can of worms. He is going to get hit with questions. People don’t understand exactly what he has. Questions need to be asked or the kid might end up with the wrong bedsides. If he is lucky, there will be someone online at the time that will ask the right questions.

But he is not so lucky.

Enter newcomer #2. Newcomer #2 is a good intentioned person who posts a picture of a “flatfender” which happens to be a ’47 WDX. The bedsides are beautiful 1st series reproductions. Newcomer #2 gives him purchasing information. Newcomer #1 thanks newcomer#2 and goes on his way.

Happy, and armed with a photo, he buys a set of reproduction bedsides for a ’47 WDX. He uses a good chunk of his budget to get really nice ones and later finds out that his ’61 WM300 should have had 3rd series bedsides.

The confusion could have been avoided if his post had read, “Want to buy bedsides for a ’61 WM300.”

I am a slow typist, turtle-like really, but I can type those words using my two good typing fingers and it only takes me a couple seconds. If I can do it, anyone can do it.

The bedsides were only one of many examples I could have used. There were enough changes to the trucks over the years that Dodge created a system to avoid confusion….and it works.

It might seem like a really small fish to fry, but I'll bet it's one newcomer #1 would like to see us fry before he buys his bedsides.

Why not do it now and bury this thing. It would be so easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Mienke View Post
            Bob,

Your point is well taken, but…

To really avoid confusion, the system Dodge put in place is a good one, and it truly is simple. There isn’t anything hard about it.

WDX 1945-1947
            B-1-PW 1948-1949
            B-2-PW 1950
            B-3-PW 1951
            B-4-PW 1952-1953
            C-1-PW 1954
            C-3-PW 1955-1956
            C-4-PW 1956
            W300 1957
            W300M 1958-1959
            WM300 1960-1971

Imagine a scenario in which a newcomer to the hobby bought a truck that is lacking bedsides. I’ll call this person newcomer #1. Newcomer #1 doesn’t know much about the truck except that it is what some people call a "flatfender". He would like to bring his “flatfender” back to original condition so he gets on the forums and asks if someone has bedsides for sale. Actually, his post reads like this: WTB BEDSIDES FFPW

Not enough information.

Unknowingly, he has opened a can of worms. He is going to get hit with questions. People don’t understand exactly what he has. Questions need to be asked or the kid might end up with the wrong bedsides. If he is lucky, there will be someone online at the time that will ask the right questions.

But he is not so lucky.

Enter newcomer #2. Newcomer #2 is a good intentioned person who posts a picture of a “flatfender” which happens to be a ’47 WDX. The bedsides are beautiful 1st series reproductions. Newcomer #2 gives him purchasing information. Newcomer #1 thanks newcomer#2 and goes on his way.

Happy, and armed with a photo, he buys a set of reproduction bedsides for a ’47 WDX. He uses a good chunk of his budget to get really nice ones and later finds out that his ’61 WM300 should have had 3rd series bedsides.

The confusion could have been avoided if his post had read, “Want to buy bedsides for a ’61 WM300.”

I am a slow typist, turtle-like really, but I can type those words using my two good typing fingers and it only takes me a couple seconds. If I can do it, anyone can do it.

The bedsides were only one of many examples I could have used. There were enough changes to the trucks over the years that Dodge created a system to avoid confusion….and it works.

It might seem like a really small fish to fry, but I'll bet it's one newcomer #1 would like to see us fry before he buys his bedsides.

Why not do it now and bury this thing. It would be so easy.
            I'd give that two good typing fingers up! (index, the good natured ones!, not the other ones!!)

Comment

I see your point Kevin and recognize that there is value in an agreed upon set of terms. I will further stipulate that we should at least learn the ones that apply to our own vehicle. Nor am I for a moment suggesting that Clint has designs on world powerwagon domination. Guys like Clint and Phil and Eric and many others who have dedicated a substantial portion on their time and available brain cells to knowing as much as they can about powerwagons are vital to our hobby. I salute their efforts.
              I simply mean to impart that in the grand scheme of things there are more important topics to expend their energies upon. The vehemence and hubris that accompany these melees’s once the combatants have stirred themselves into high dudgeon, wastes a great deal of time and leaves bad feelings in both camps.
              One only need look to the other poll to see the makings of yet another conflagration. As a further if somewhat humorous example, allow me to relate an anecdote regarding two coin collectors. I was called out to a coin show and upon arrival discovered two men resembling Wally Cox and Don Knotts beating the living tar out of each other. Witnesses informed us that the two had been jabbing at each other on the web for some time over a was described as a minor point regarding what term to use to describe a particular coin. According to informed parties these men had been friends for many years and that the terms that they were arguing about are used interchangeably. I mention this just to illustrate how these internecine skirmishes can get out of hand.
              I think the ship has sailed regarding eliminating the term FFPW but I’m sure the argument will carry on. It appears the vote is split evenly in the poll above. I have no vested interest in either one.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint Dixon View Post
                I started it on another forum and then moved here when it got too hot over there. Well...actually...it was someone else who started it over there. I just caught the ball and ran with it. It's okay. I have broad shoulders. ;^)
                I thought the term was hijacked? Ha Ha. I must come over to this forum more often. I just found this.
                I can't begin to compete with the knowledge that some of you have on these trucks. Not even close. I must admit I have read discussions on this subject more than a few times in the past, with much the same results. Where would we be without a place to gain insightful wisdom and to air our favorite peeves. When this is done, maybe the differentiation between winch and wench could be ironed out.
                I personally prefer to use the designations that Dodge gave these trucks (WDX, B1, B2, etc.), a system that works perfectly. Why cheapen these lovely beasts with a term that more aptly applies to the General Purpose Vehicle (you know which one that is)?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Thompson View Post
                  I simply mean to impart that in the grand scheme of things there are more important topics to expend their energies upon. The vehemence and hubris that accompany these melees’s once the combatants have stirred themselves into high dudgeon, wastes a great deal of time and leaves bad feelings in both camps.
                  You’re a gentleman and a diplomat Bob. I suppose people do get strong enough opinions that it could lead to high dudgeon.

It’s not that way for me. I don’t think it’s that way for Clint, Jerry, Norm, Gordon, or the other folks who don’t like the term FFPW. It’s just been a minor irritant over the years; like a fly that buzzes around your head and won’t go away.

I don’t think fixing this thing will ever be on anyone’s bucket list, but you never know. My hope, and I believe others would agree, is that nobody takes any of it too seriously. It’s a small thing.

The thing is, I’m not doing anything big these days, so I’m trying to do the best I can with the small things. Stack the firewood, change the oil every 3,000, take a pie to mom once in a while and, at the end of the day, try to kill a few flies. All small things.

I spent last week with my son, visiting college campuses out of state. When I got home, I cleaned the garage and did some real thinking about how good it has been to have a son, how delicious bread is, and how sweet it is to know that baseball season always returns. And it always does.

I’m not worried about FFPW. Just trying to help with the small things.

I believe if things go wrong, a man shouldn’t go with them, even if they are small things. Calling a curved fender flat is a pretty good example of a small thing gone wrong. So I try to help with the small things.

I do believe the fly has gotten away again, and it’s a fly we may never kill, but every once in a while I’ll take another swat. It’s the least a guy can do who is blessed with a good son, a clean garage, and some fresh bread on the first day of spring.

Comment

Poetry my Friend, poetry...

Comment

See Kevin, there you go using terms that guys like Norm and myself are unfamiliar with. What on earth is a "clean garage" I have never encountered one. I was not even aware they existed as anything other than theoretical models.
                      I'm with you on the bread smell though. Here's to small things.

Oh, and I know a guy at JPL that can probably prove that mathematically our fenders are cubes.

Comment

flat fender & pro football

the term flat fender helps identify a real real Power Wagon.
                        later model power wagons are Power Wagons in the same sense that a fieldgoal kicker can claim that he's a pro football player.

Comment

Just did the poll. Checked off all seven. Did I screw things up?

Comment

Originally posted by 74w300uteline View Post
                            the term flat fender helps identify a real real Power Wagon.
                            later model power wagons are Power Wagons in the same sense that a fieldgoal kicker can claim that he's a pro football player.
                            groan... ;)

Comment

Flat Fenders?

As a new guy to the Power Wagon community, but one who is learning quickly I thought I'd weigh in.

First to MoparNorm: I think I bought my 61 WM300 from Newcomer #1 in your earlier post; sure sounds possible.

We live in an acronym-driven society and it's becoming more so quickly. When I first started reading the forums and magazine, I saw the acronyms, FFPW, PW, WM300 and the rest. When a new guy posts a question, he is hoping to sound somewhat intelligent so he is likely to use those that he has seen on the forum. For me, I started using the acronyms WM300, FFPW and PW interchangeably for my 61, which I now realize as possibly a mistake. In my mind they all mean the same thing.

One thing to remember: as more new folks come into the Power Wagon community and they will, many will find the FFPW term easiest to remember because it is generic enough that they believe it refers to all Power Wagons that have the large, somewhat rounded and flat fenders at all four corners and most have flat running boards. These are people that may not yet own one so they don't have the pleasure of using the accurate nomenclature for their truck.

Since I've had my 61 for two months, I've had more people stop me, follow me and talk to me about it than anything I've ever owned. That's pretty nice and I certainly enjoy talking about it; however, two folks have come to me and have said, "I just love your kit truck." I scowl and mutter and explain this is a 61 Dodge Power Wagon and it certainly didn't come from a kit. To those outside the Power Wagon community, most don't give a hoot whether it's a WX or WM, but they need to know it is a DODGE POWER WAGON.

Comment

Call them POWER WAGON even GFCIJ guys know what your talking about.

Comment

Working...
                                X