No announcement yet.

Tool Box on Running Board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This tool box is a cool idea. You would need metal strap type hold down with a lock, but then you could take it out and bring it where you needed it.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/trail-can-t...wx?filterid=j1

Rich

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Henry View Post
      The box on that red WDX looks more like a small refrigerator. :)
      Does it run on 12 volts or propane? Or nuclear energy?
      Desoto61 has the right idea. PTO powered!

I actually like the red one the best. It looks like you could store the belt pulley AND the drawbar in there when not in use.

That toolbox reminds me of some shown in the early pieces of Power-Wagon sales literature. Some of the images show what appear to be aftermarket service beds in place of the pickup box. Closer inspection reveals that the factory pickup box was still on the truck, just hidden behind tool boxes like that shown on the red WDX. It had two large boxes like shown, one ahead of the fender above the running board, one behind the fender, and a squatty long one spanning between the two above the fender.

I saw a couple reasonably nice Power-Wagon pickup boxes back in the early '80s in an Illinois junk yard. The rest of the trucks were gone, but the pickup boxes survived. They had been removed from power line trucks and had been protected by aftermarket drop-in service beds that had covered and enclosed the factory bed sides and fenders with tool boxes and storage compartments.

I had talked with Gene Buch of Fairfield Iowa. His Power-Wagon had a remarkably preserved pickup box when compared to the rest of the truck. He bought it used and it once served as a power line truck. It had had one of those drop-in service beds during its power line days.

I would like to find one of those beds now.

Comment

tool box

I don't remember where I saw it but someone had cut and hinged a jerry can to serve as storage, I think it was strapped to the runningboard of an early fifties ford wrecker. might be worth considering.

Comment

Tool Box

Thanks so much to Clint for the great photos and the rest of you for all the ideas. Now, I'm not sure what I'll go with, but I've narrowed it down to a few. All I need now are the running boards that Dan Mininger shipped me on Tue, paint them, bolt them down and then figure out which tool box. Great photo of the deer hunt, Clint.

Comment

Tool Box

Clint,

I imagine someone may have suggested this to you in the past, but have you ever considered publishing a PW book/encyclopedia? With all the photos you have and the ton of knowledge you provide all of us through these forums, it would be great to have it all in one place. At some time, like all of us, you're not going to be around and so much of what you know would be lost and the future community of Power Wagon owners will be less knowledgeable. It's important that the history, the photos and particularly the know-how be preserved for our grandsons that will hopefully want to keep these icons running and knowing how to do that. The current books that I'm aware of and the ones I own certainly don't fill the bill.

Publishing is a lot cheaper than it used to be. You would certainly leave a legacy, although you already have with how much you help all of us. Just a thought from a new guy. You'll forget more about Power Wagons than I will ever know.

Comment

The green truck is interesting. There's what looks like an antenna poking out the top and the box almost looks like a computer or electronics case.

Life-size remote controled Power Wagon? Mobil post-apocolypse internet server?

Comment

Working...
              X