Sprayed some paint on the 49 Power Wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sprayed some paint on the 49 Power Wagon

Well, the brake job continues, and I've now gotten to the point of spraying paint on the Cab, Hood and Grill Shell. For my first Body Work and Paint Job I'm very happy with it.

Click on the image to see it larger.

I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
    Will
    WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
    1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
    1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
    1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
    2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

And rightfully so. A fine looking job that's paying off. That roof does look good from where it was before you started. You gotta love fresh paint especially red.

Comment

Thanks Ron, yea I'm very happy with how well the roof turned out. Here are the before shoots:

Thanks,
      Will
      WAWII.com

Comment

Here was the Roof after:

Thanks,
        Will
        WAWII.com

Comment

I'm Jealous!!
          Your body/paint skills are impressive!
          Looks Great Will.
          How come the pictures are black and white until I click for a larger image, then there in color?
          Is this my browser, or the way it's supposed to be?
          Again Nice Work!
          TGP
          WDX & Misc. Pics.
          http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
          "47" Dodge WDX WW
          "52" Dodge M-37 WW
          "54" Willys M38A1
          "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
          "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
          "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
          "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
          "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
          "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

Tom,

Thanks, but this was my first paint job, and you know it always looks better in a picture, but I'm very happy with the job. Now to let the paint cure a little more and then install the cowl vent seal and windshield and place the cab back on the frame.

The pictures are showing correct, I posted my small BW "linked" photo's here to keep the page load time short. This is the same method I use on my WEB page. You can see all the photos and work at: http://powerwagon.wawii.com/46Blast&Paint.htm

Merry Christmas,
            Will

Thanks,
            Will
            WAWII.com

Comment

Tell us something about how you did the roof work.
              Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

First, Thanks to Ron for his guidance and instructional help.

In addition to the dents, dings and some creases, the roof had an "oil can" issue, and a previous owner had welded up either an antenna or beacon light hole somewhat crudely.

To fix the "oil can" problem I worked the metal some, but could not keep it from "popping" back in. I ended up taking a narrow strip of steel and bending it to fit inside the roof and spot weld it into place holding the roof metal up and in place. I had to add a couple of metal shims in a couple of spots to address a small "oil can" spot. I ended up needing two of the narrow strips to address the larger spot.

Next was some grinding and sanding to fix the welds, and then a little hammer/dolly work. As this was my first "body" metal work, I was a little over cautious in trying to re-shape the metal, and should have done a lot more metal work before moving on.

Next came the sandblasting, and then a good coat of Epoxy Primer. Now the fun can begin. I did a lot of filling and sanding and a little more body work. I'd fill, block sand, and fill another area next the one I just did, the area just kept getting bigger, but better. I kept this up until I felt I was real close (not as close as I should have been though).

Then I sprayed a good coat of fill primer, and sanded. Found more low spots and applied some more filler and some glaze. Then after I thought I had it again, another fresh coat of fill primer and re-sand. Only had a few small spots to apply the glaze to, and then re-sand.

Next came the sealer, and then paint. I was fortunate I had access to a real paint booth for the sealer and paint. The primer and and filler was all sprayed in my make shift booth in my shop. Now I've got to deal with all the sanding dust that is all over everything and in every nook and cranny in my shop.

If you need more details or info ask away, I'll always share, just can't promise I'm the best knowledgeable source.

Merry Christmas,
                Will

Thanks,
                Will
                WAWII.com

Comment

Originally posted by W_A_Watson_II View Post
                  Tom,

Thanks, but this was my first paint job, and you know it always looks better in a picture, but I'm very happy with the job. Now to let the paint cure a little more and then install the cowl vent seal and windshield and place the cab back on the frame.

The pictures are showing correct, I posted my small BW "linked" photo's here to keep the page load time short. This is the same method I use on my WEB page. You can see all the photos and work at: http://powerwagon.wawii.com/46Blast&Paint.htm

Merry Christmas,
                  Will
                  Will,

Looks great and thanks so much for posting all the photos and the steps you took. I'll definitely be referring to your web site when I start my 1950 restoration. We are also planning a red/black color scheme, but I'm thinking we won't reach that point for many years. However, I'll know where to go once my son, grandson and I are ready to do it. Do you plan on posting any color photos?

Thanks to you for the post and to Gordon for hosting this site.

Comment

KenaiGary,

Thank you for the comments. If you click on the B/W photos they should open up a larger color version. If not let me know and I'll see what's wrong.

I spent over a year contemplating on do I pay someone or do it my self. I just couldn't see me having the finesse and patience (after trying to tape and mud drywall) to do a good job, but with Ron and my neighbor's help, I'm very happy, and will indeed do it again.

Good luck,
                    Will

Thanks,
                    Will
                    WAWII.com

Comment

That roof work is phenomenal. Great job, Will.

What a great thread.

Comment

You can chase an oil canned roof or any other large area all over trying to get it out. The metal is stretched and needs to be shrunk back into shape. Will did very well on his first body and paint job. It looked good when I saw it a week ago with out paint. The trick now is to avoid scratches while putting it back together. It's not if but when it happens. Don't be afraid to mask once the paint has cured.

Comment

Will,

Yes, that worked. Looks even better in color. I'd give my eye teeth for a shop like that!

Gary

Comment

Gary,

Thanks, yea I love it. built it when we moved to IL from MI where I worked out of our house garage. Only problem is I'm filling it up faster than I can work on what's in it.

Merry Christmas,
                            Will

Thanks,
                            Will
                            WAWII.com

Comment

It's the most impressive "brake job" I've ever seen. Nice work Will.

Comment

Working...
                              X