No announcement yet.

Restoration Begins!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the overload springs were an option from Dodge.
    I see the extra steel welded into the frame. Was there a crack there?
    Good job at getting the metal bed out without damaging anything.
    If you want to put an oak bed in, I did that from white oak I bought from a local sawmill. It turned out really nice. Got the hardware (side angle strips, divider strips and bolts) from Mar-K. Used marine varnish from Bruce Horkey.
    But, that is a ways off for you I would think.

Comment

Thanks for the source Doc on Mar-K. I was actually wondering if the side bed strips were available. Are the side bed strips tack welded from the factory? Are the replacement put back on this way?

I have no clue whether the frame was cracked there or not. It would appear as so from the look of the weld. What's interesting if you have a closer look the crossmember was never shortened to accommodate the 3/8 thick channel, so as a result the frame is actually bowed out.

Question on the 3rd series bed...Our there 4 or three crossmembers for the wood bed? Looks like 4..which means I'm missing one. The 4th one appears to have been cut with the pieces welded just above where the channel was installed.

Comment

The side strips are spot welded as you say. I drilled the old spot welds out and then spot welded the new ones on carefully.
        One caveat- look at the existing ones very carefully especially as to the holes for the bolts through the boards below. Make a mental as well as photo note of this before removing them. With the new ones, at first glance they look interchangeable side to side, but are not. Don't ask me how I know this!
        As to the third series bed, go over to Joe's forum and look at the Best of the Forum. Clint Dixon did an excellent write up there on the differences between the various beds, as I recall.
        Good luck!

Comment

Have been plugging away at both trucks but haven't made much progress over the past couple of weeks. Practiced some mig welding with my Hobart. Been also getting all my parts sorted in the garage and scoping out for NOS parts. Winter is on its way and once it arrives all work will need to take place indoors.

My plan over the winter is to rebuilt the winch, both axles, transmission, engine, transfer case, and PTO. The smaller items that I can maneuver in the shop....winter is long here in Canada for those who are saying wow that's quite the endeavor... remember that's my plan:)

Question for the board:

Should I order the complete rebuild kits for the items described? I was going to source most of my parts from Vintage PWR Wagon. From reading I should not bother with the original NOS axle input seals. What about the other parts mentioned? Can anyone recommend what I should be ordering and not? I assuming everything just needs to be inspected...if I discover anything catastrophic then I will order as I need. For now I want to have all my seals and gaskets in order. Is there another source for what I'm after that someone has had much success with?

P.S. The complete engine rebuild I may sub out..though I'm not quite sure yet.

Thanks

Comment

I think I would want to disassemble and evaluate before I ordered parts. I can appreciate the planning and enthusiasm driving the pre-purchase, but you could wish for different circumstances after you got into the assemblies.

Just a thought.
            Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

I purchased some of my rebuild kits (transfer case and winch IIRC) from Dave Cerillio at Job Rated. Bought my ring and pinion sets from Veteran Vehicles along with the pinion bearing press plate. The pinion shim kit I only found from Midwest Military. VPW did supply some of the bearings and parts too, but this provides a few other options. All are good to deal with.

You can find the bearing and seal numbers here and at Joe's site and price them out from any of your local or on-line suppliers too. The bearings aren't usually cheaper, but if you want to do modern seals (and I would highly recommend it) they may be your only option as most of the above sources use original style seals.

Charles Talbert can get you any of the above too, and while he may not be cheapest you know it's all the best stuff he can find. Plus he does let us buy some of his wonderful upgrade parts too.

Comment

Thanks Gordon. You're right I will wait until I take things apart as there may be some things I don't anticipate and will need to order anyways.

Desoto thanks for the buying tips. I really want to use the best parts especially when it comes to seals...don't want any leaks after a fresh rebuild.

Comment

Cab Frame

Started making a cab frame to hold up the cab while fabricating and allow greater maneuverability. My plan is to install four corner supports that will mount directly under the cab's existing four mounting holes.

Began removing the windshield assembly from my 57. Sprayed the mechanism regulator the last month over and over which helped to carefully allowed me to open window assembly. I then zipped off the two small philips mounting bolts that holds the regulator to the frame-they were rusted on. The mount was damaged slightly from the zip blade but I new this might happen so I ordered a reproduction-2 actually. 1 for a spare.

The other thing I'm looking for is an air cleaner assembly. However I'm confused by the which one is correct. Can someone post a picture please of the correct air cleaner assembly for a 57 PW. Not sure whether these were the same for all model years.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Window frame removal.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Taillight

Is this a period taillight or a reproduction aftermarket? If its a reproduction where are they available from?

Thanks

Ray
                      Attached Files

Comment

Taillight

Ray-

I purchased reproduction tallights like you have pictured from Roberts Motor Parts. http://www.robertsmotorparts.com/index.html
                        Tim Ellis

1953 B4 PW
                        2013 Dodge 2500 Diesel

Clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.

Comment

Thanks Crusher. Much appreciated!

Comment

Working...
                          X