So excited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A great adventure!
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Doc, is there a schematic on this you can point me too? I suspect you are right. Also, is taking the mechanism out a big deal if I wanted to? I didn't look at what might be involved and am now sitting in a Holiday in Inn. ( if the commercials are right I should be able to fix it in the morning.)

Originally posted by Doc Dave View Post
      I have found that the window opening mechanism works best in low speed situations; the vibration at high speed can get the cog knocked off the tape.
      Try pushing the window up with one hand while you work the crank handle. I bet the cog is no longer in the little cut out on the tape and that is causing the problem.
      You can take the window mechanism completely out and inspect and fix it if needed but I bet I am right.
      I use the cowl vent at high speed with the windshield closed. I also turn the door vent windows all the way out so the air is directed in on me.

Comment

It is actually rather easy to take off, even thought at first glance it would not seem that way.
        You first disconnect it from the windshield where it is attached with the two screws. Then, loosen the set screw that holds the knob on the shaft and pull the knob off. Then remove the two screws that go down into the dash on the top that hold the mechanisms body - while holding it from underneath. the mechanism then is removed by dropping it down.
        I don't recall seeing a schematic, but once you get it out you will see that it is a fairly simple thing.
        There is a guy on Joe Cimoch's forum who rebuilds these. I think his name is Dan and he lives in PA? He also sells parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Dave View Post
          It is actually rather easy to take off, even thought at first glance it would not seem that way.
          You first disconnect it from the windshield where it is attached with the two screws. Then, loosen the set screw that holds the knob on the shaft and pull the knob off. Then remove the two screws that go down into the dash on the top that hold the mechanisms body - while holding it from underneath. the mechanism then is removed by dropping it down.
          I don't recall seeing a schematic, but once you get it out you will see that it is a fairly simple thing.
          There is a guy on Joe Cimoch's forum who rebuilds these. I think his name is Dan and he lives in PA? He also sells parts.
          Be sure to disconnect your battery before doing this. There are places under the dash where you can touch and short out the wiring and cause a fire as you wiggle that windshield mechanism out.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint Dixon View Post
            Be sure to disconnect your battery before doing this. There are places under the dash where you can touch and short out the wiring and cause a fire as you wiggle that windshield mechanism out.
            Is this one of those deals where we should not ask you how you know this?
            Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

good call clint,
              i did see some sparks once mucking around under there

Comment

Yes. There are lots of available hot spots, such as on the back of the ignition switch. In fact, my cowl vent handle came in contact with one of those studs once. I pulled the switch out and shortened the studs down a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
                  Is this one of those deals where we should not ask you how you know this?
                  I was messing around under the dash one time doing something with some wrenches and I got a good spark. Then, I looked around and noticed just how much potential there was for much worse. No harm done that time, but I'd rather be lucky than good any day.

Now that I wear bifocals, I doubt that I can even get up under there and be able to see what I am doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint Dixon View Post
                    Now that I wear bifocals, I doubt that I can even get up under there and be able to see what I am doing.
                    I know exactly what you mean about the bifocals. They are a pain. A friend of mine had a pair made with the second lenses at the top instead of at the bottom of the main lens. He was an electrician, and they worked well for him. I have thought of having some made like that for working in certain places, but I probably wouldn't remember where I left them when I needed them. Ha Ha

Comment

Windshield regulator is shot

So I did get up under there early this morning. The gears are stripped bent and otherwise useless. And the screws from the ribbon to the windshield are tight beyond my ability without penetrating oil and a bit more time. So the window was pressed closed the the trip was completed. I will open a new thread for that

Thanks all for your help and comments

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Henry View Post
                        I know exactly what you mean about the bifocals. They are a pain. A friend of mine had a pair made with the second lenses at the top instead of at the bottom of the main lens. He was an electrician, and they worked well for him. I have thought of having some made like that for working in certain places, but I probably wouldn't remember where I left them when I needed them. Ha Ha
                        My optometrist insists that my lower lenses need to be prescribed for comfortable reading at 16-inches from my eyes. There is no way I can get my eyes 16-inches away from the backs of the gauge clusters on my trucks and still see what I am doing.

The next time I need to brighten up the studs and wire terminals under my dash, I think I will take the truck over to my optometrist and watch him try to lay on his back with his spine across the seat pan, his tailbone on the running board, the brake pedal in his right temple, the PTO lever cutting off blood flow to his left ear, and the cowl vent handle poking in his left eye socket - with one elbow around the transmission shift lever and the other jammed between the clutch and brake pedals, as his hair smolders from the 100 watt incandescent bulb in the drop light and his last star washer flings out into space, ricochets and rolls under his shirt collar.

We'll see how he likes his 16-inch specifications compliant bifocals!

Comment

scott,
                          Do you have an impact screwdriver?
                          I bought one at the auto parts store, and it enabled me to get some of the tight screws loose on my brake drums. Be careful though with the windshield frame - don't beat it too hard.
                          The mechanisms can be repaired.
                          Mine was missing pieces and I had it renewed.

Comment

Working...
                          X