Ignition Coil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition Coil?

I'm converting my 55 FFPW from a 6v + ground, to a 12v - ground system. I need to know what type of coil I need? Ballasted or non-ballasted? WHY?

Thanks!

I'm no expert on the do's and don'ts of electrical, but I've always had a ballast resistor on my 12 volt Power Wagon. Again, I'm no expert, but I was taught that the 12 volt battery is more than the ignition needs or wants when the engine is running. The resistor is designed such that ignition receives full current during start-up and limited current after start-up.

Comment

New coils do not need a resistor you can run them full 12 v. I like msd coils but have also run accel's . You can pick these up pretty much anywhere . I also put a pertronics electronic ignition module in my dizzy when I converted to 12v, well worth it in my opinion, find the module you need on their site and try amazon for the best price. I got mine for about $120. My truck fires up instantly in any weather, even 40 below .

Comment

Check out the link to thread below. It describes, much better, what I was trying to say. With the 12 volt system, the resistor is necessary. On my old system, the ballast resistor was a separate unit. And, as Bilfman said, you can now get a coil with internal resistance. But yes, you need resistance unless you are switching to electronic ignition.

http://www.powerwagonadvertiser.com/...ad.php?t=12500

Comment

Originally posted by bilfman View Post
          New coils do not need a resistor you can run them full 12 v. I like msd coils but have also run accel's . You can pick these up pretty much anywhere . I also put a pertronics electronic ignition module in my dizzy when I converted to 12v, well worth it in my opinion, find the module you need on their site and try amazon for the best price. I got mine for about $120. My truck fires up instantly in any weather, even 40 below .
          Did you use an MSD coil (Blaster2) or one of the Pertronix Flame Thrower's?
          I've got one of each in my box of spare Datsun parts and am about to do the conversion.

Comment

I used a blaster 2 with the pertronics electronic ignition.

Comment

Thanks guys for all the responses. I appreciate the info.

Comment

Working...
              X