Starter options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter options

Hi folks, I am looking to see if any other starters can be used on the 230 flathead. I am having trouble sourcing a starter here in Canada. I need 2 starters and am hitting dead ends at every turn. So just inquiring to see if there are others options out there. I have been told my armatures are bad. So can another type of easier sourced one be used for either replacement or parts. I know Vintage has them but with our Canadian 'peso' so low the shipping and exchange is killer. Any help, advice, sources or guidance is truly appreciated.

Are you saying that yours can't be rebuilt? Mine was shot and I just had it rebuilt by a local auto electric shop, cost me $2000-$250 but it looks brand new again.
    I am not aware of another model that will work but I am fairly new to these trucks

Comment

I think they can, but the armatures will have to be rewound. So with shipping it will be a 1000 touch for both starters. Just seeing if there are other options out there. Before having to drop the big bucks.

Comment

Sounds very high, I would take it some where else. I had mine rebuilt for $100.00.

Comment

I think I have a couple of spare armatures. I could send you one if you are still in need. Or can send you a rebuilt starter for a couple hundred US $.

dad2nick1 at yahoo dot com

Comment

You can rebuild your own starter with a decent armature.

http://imageevent.com/dad2nick/sixvo...hgs3.penguin_s

Comment

Problem is my armatures require rebuilding. So am looking for some other options that are a little less invasive on the wallet. That said I was able to source a Canadian rebuilder in Vancouver that will charge about 400 to rebuild the starter and armature.

Comment

Dad2nik I just saw your post a few days after I sent mine off. If I run into a snag I will definitely contact you. Thank you for the offer. Here in Canada I can find 251 parts all day long no problem. 230 is a different story. Not a lot of options. Was hoping maybe a 251 starter would work, was just putting it out there to see if anyone has tried another starter.

Comment

I think the 251 starter will work just fine, but will require a remote solenoid since it has no foot pedal operated starter switch. Let me know if you need a 230 armature. I have several extras and would be happy to send you one if you are desparate.

Comment

Working...
                  X