No announcement yet.

1948 power wagon project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just one more reason to own a lathe. Bet you could knock out some pushrods that wouldn't break.

Comment

My bucket list, a lathe in the shop at home...someday. I hope.
      1967 W200.aka.Hank
      1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
      2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

Back to body work - removal of passenger hood dent

I did a little bodywork today. Removed the dent on the passenger side hood. Lost my favorite tool in the process this evening. I’ll go grab a new one in the morning before I start on the drivers side hood.

As you can see from the second photo the edge by the radiator keeps popping down with slightest amount of pressure. Had to do a little heat treating to tighten that up and prevent it from happening again.

Not the best at this but wanted to make sure that I could do it before I look at replacement hoods. Still have the smallest of dents that need to be worked out however I will do later once I determine I can get the drivers side fixed.
        Attached Files

Comment

Another view of the repair.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Welcher PWA View Post
            My bucket list, a lathe in the shop at home...someday. I hope.
            Watch the online GSA auctions. They come up frequently. Enough you can B picky. Pretty sure you have the means to move one. Last one I saw was at an estate auction. Clausen 6300. In a basement. On a homemade bench. With the home sold to a rental/flipper type. Reluctantly I passed.

Comment

Driver side hood dent removed

Worked on it the drivers side hood today after getting another rubber mallet. Do not like the handle on the new mallet but was able to complete the job. The remaining low spots are so shallow sandable primer will cover them up. It ended up much better and faster than the passengers side that I went back and smoothed it out some more and is also now ready.

Noticed a couple of cracks at the hinge pin ends that I fixed those while I had them on my welding table.
              Attached Files

Comment

WOW, Nice work.
                I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
                Will
                WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
                1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
                1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
                1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
                2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Mmmmmmmm, Welding Table......
                  Nice work on the hood. They are tricky.
                  Greg Coffin
                  Unrepentant Dodge Enthusiast

1951 Dodge M37 - Bone Stock
                  1958 Dodge M37 - Ex-Forest Service Brush Truck
                  1962 M37-B1 - Work in Progress
                  1962 Dodge WM300 Power Wagon - Factory 251, 4.89s
                  1944/1957 Dodge WM500T 6x6 Power Wagon - LA318-3, NP435, 5.83s, Power Steering, Undercab Power Brakes
                  1974 Dodge W200 - 360/727, Factory Sno-Fighter Package

Comment

Yes that hood is turning out beautifully, Very nice work!
                    1967 W200.aka.Hank
                    1946 WDX.aka.Shorty

Comment

Build sheet

Finally sent in for my build sheet and this is what I received. Of all the extra equipment ordered with truck the only one to survive 69 yrs was the PTO.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Do you still have the 4.89 gears and 7.5 x 16 tires? Just curious if those made it all these years.

Comment

Thanks for the complements guys. I still have a long way to go to get in the same ball park as you guys. For my first time doing any of this I am happy but frustrated at the same time as I know if I had more experience/knowledge it could be better.

Originally posted by Matt Wilson View Post
                          Do you still have the 4.89 gears and 7.5 x 16 tires? Just curious if those made it all these years.
                          Matt, afraid to say that those did not make it through the vehicles history either. I would have loved to have the 4.89 gears.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd M View Post
                            Matt, afraid to say that those did not make it through the vehicles history either. I would have loved to have the 4.89 gears.
                            Aw, that's too bad. Well, hopefully VPW will get another run of them made before too long.

Comment

Christmas gift arrives early.

Steel for my flatbed arrive today. Excited to get started on that project with my oldest son who is back in town from college. However I still have a couple projects that need to get done; finish painting the frame (gloss black) and the engine accessories. Engine was painted couple days ago; dark charcoal, that was the color my youngest son picked. Ill send a couple of photos with the two completed in a couple of days hopefully.

Installed the missing dowell pin with the starter removed. Freeze plugs were also replaced as one was leaking from the sand blasting. I was amazed at how much junk I found in the engine block. Was able to flush it quite efficiently with all the freeze plugs out.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Love seeing your build sheet, do you have a game plan for your bed?
                                Do you already have a design in mind?
                                1967 W200.aka.Hank
                                1946 WDX.aka.Shorty

Comment

Working...
                                X