Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89-91 TBI to carb conversion

Hey guys -

Some of you will remember a long, long time ago, my 91 dodge 1-ton crapped out due to a wiring short issue. March 21 2009. Anyways, I posted it up for sale as is and have gotten no bites.

A fellow dodger feels he can source me a stock intake and 2barrel carb for next to nothing. His best thought was to buy a 1-wire DUI distributor. Straight from the dealer that is a $300+ expense. I think it might be the way to go. Or another option would be to pick up a Chrysler replacement from Summit @ $200. Or, find a traditional distributor with all the fun wiring.

I have 2 questions with this conversion.

1. the wiring, how will it all work.

2. currently the fuel pump is in the tank. prior to the truck breaking, I replaced this pump. It is also a 15-18psi system. Can I maintain this pump and put in a pressure regulator for the carb? do I install a conventional fuel pump and will it be able to pull through the in-tank fuel pump?

If you've done this, please respond and let me know your thoughts.

pieter

common problem

I'm considering the same procedure for my 89 ramcharger.

Comment

I'm gonna say from my limited knowledge about pumps that your in-tank pump will work with a regulator, but its lifespan may not be that great unless some sort of "overflow" return line is in place to allow excess fuel to return to the tank, thus keeping pressure off of the pump somewhat. Mechanical pumps from the factory ran in the 5-7lbs psi range.

bucky

Comment

Well - I get this figured out.. I'll come out and do your Ramcharger :)
        You still have the intake and old carb out of the white Monster?

I hear Ms. Eudora is under the weather?

laters

Comment

Pieter,

Here is what I would recommend.

Leave the pump in the tank and get a Holley fuel pressure regulator to bring the pressure down otherwise it'll blow open the needle and seat, or switch to a mechanical pump.

Get a factory electronic ignition distributor with mechanical and vacuum advance. You can buy a reman or junkyard unit. Wire up a MSD 6A box. Its easy to do and they should be less than $150.00. The truck will always start and run good. You'll be able to throw away all those sensors and computers that were giving you trouble.

While you're into it you might want to check the timing chain and replace it if its stretched.

Or you can sell it to me cheap and I'll do all that work to my newly acquired truck.

Comment

Hey Kevin -

I made my offer for you to buy the truck cheap and you passed so now I'm stuck with it again.

Current pricing on the msd 6a is closer to $170 so I'll have to pass on that route. I don't know if I've got a dizzy sitting in the garage or not.

Do I need to to anything in regards to wiring to get the fuel pump to kick on?
            Just wondering.

pieter

Comment

pieter get the msd 6

I'll spring for the parts cost. I'm not being generous, I'm being selfish! I want you to experiment on your truck first. As far as the old parts from YTs, you know that I never throw anything out, you've seen my garage. haha
              Miss Eudora has electrical problems, a previous post from Deathdeeler has me suspecting fusable links. I'm just too busy with life, kids, dogs and work to get in there and take a good look. If I procrastinate long enough your "traveling wrench rolling repairs" will show up and fix everything.
              Now where did i put that battery charger? = )

Comment

440 in a 91

I also would be interested in getting the results of your computer to carb conversion. I'm wanting to put a 440 and a 46H auto in my club cab 4x4. Another option I've been thinking about would be to convert the 440 to use another TBI setup maybe from a 454 and convert that to the dodge computer though I hate the thought of using a gm part on my mopar.

Comment

Working...
                X