No announcement yet.

1975 360 turns, but wont fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ECM & ballast resistor problems are why there is an easy GM HEI module conversion for these trucks. Google it or go to Ramcharger Central or Dodge Talk. Cheap, easy and eliminates both items, and puts full 12 volts through the spark system. I still run the stock system, but next failure on the trail, I am going to do the conversion.

Comment

It started fine with one crank on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday; Friday, crank and no turn all over again. Any ideas?

Thanks,
      Paul

Comment

What has NEVER failed me.

www.donzig.com

Forget ECM's, ballast resistors & HEI conversions. I have been running a Vertex mag since 1988 w/o issue.

Bucky

Comment

Does this replace just the Distributer, or the coil too?

Comment

Originally posted by ulte1383 View Post
            Does this replace just the Distributer, or the coil too?
            Everything. It fits in where the distributor goes. It has a single wire that you run to a toggle switch. The other post on the toggle goes to ground. When you flip the switch it grounds that wire, killing the magneto. The mag replaces coil, distributor, battery (except for cranking/accessories,etc), ballast & ECM. Once the engine is cranking over the magneto creates it's own spark. It is totally self sufficient as long as you have a means to initially crank the engine. Just like the old lawn mowers, pull the rope & it fires itself. I think all piston engine aircraft run a type of magneto.

Mine is a Vertex OAC with internal coil.

The faster it spins, the hotter the spark (some debate this amperage vs voltage).

I bought mine new in 87 or 88. I had Don Zig rewind it in 1990. I have never touched it since, except to change spark plug wires. It was the single best modification I ever did to a gasoline powered engine.

Downside.... Its expensive to buy. And normal timing lights are not recommended. It is heavy & does use a little bit of HP to turn. What ever mechanical advance rate you want must be set at the factory. My advance begins at a certain preset RPM & is maxed out (Mine's 24 degrees crankshaft) at another preset RPM.

People think I was dumb to spend ~$700 back then on it, instead of a typical $150-200 ignition system......Yet I continually read post after post where people have issues with "no spark".

Bucky

Comment

I would have a very hard time convincing my wife that I'm right to buy a 700 dollar part for my 1000 dollar truck. What else can I look at?

Comment

Originally posted by ulte1383 View Post
                I would have a very hard time convincing my wife that I'm right to buy a 700 dollar part for my 1000 dollar truck. What else can I look at?
                I completely understand. I was a teen living at home (free) at the time. Plus they have gone up considerably in price.

I'd check the ECM ground (again). Plus all the usual suspect areas.

There are aftermarket ignitions available that don't cost more than the truck. Others more familiar will tell you the pros/cons of switching.

Bucky

Comment

Thanks! I'll just try cleaning it all up.

Comment

fuel?

it might be pumping gas to the carb, but not flowing in or into the right spot ,this happened to me last week. I removed the fuel into carb line and blew it [carb] out with the air compressor and vvrroom no issues since. it would just barely fire when I put a little gas manually down the carb previous.must have some crap in there I guess.
                    if that ain't it just replace the ballist restore and ecu or m or what ever it's called, they are cheap $ new ,then you know what you're dealing with to start. no sense chasing a bunch of other stuff, when time & time again it is the easy thing to fix
                    just my 2 bits
                    good luck
                    Andyp
                    84 -350 Crew
                    serveral R\C's previous

Comment

Whats the status ulte? Did you get it going again?

I had been chasing a spark gremlin for about a year. Hard to start. Sometimes be fine, sometimes not. Sometimes on bumpy roads/trails it would just quit but start right back up no problem. I tested/cleaned/replaced everything I could think of. Finally one day it just flat out wouldn't start. Chased it back to the distributer. Pulled the cap and found that the module had come loose and was just kinda floating around in there.
                      1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
                      1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
                      1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
                      2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Working...
                      X