aggressive tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KRB64 View Post
    Since you have other tires to swap out to, I'd agree with QuantumJo, go for the most aggressive and be done with it.

Size, shape & tread depends on where you live and the consistancy of that on which you tread.
    As I have tried to point out, several times in this thread, the most aggressive looking tires may not be the most aggressive or capable tire in the real world. I respectfully suggest he takes a look at the tire shoot out, traction rating and test in the magazine before he makes a hasty and expensive decision.

Comment

I agree with you Norm, it's not how they look. It's price (bang for the buck) how they work and how they will last in the conditions that they'll be asked to perform in. Weight, wheel base, type of diff (locked open) type of terrain all have an effect on traction test results.

Comment

I just wish I hadn't shipped that magazine out, it might save him some money. I'm tempted to hit the newsstand today and buy another copy...ha! ha!

Comment

Originally posted by MoparNorm View Post
          As I have tried to point out, several times in this thread, the most aggressive looking tires may not be the most aggressive or capable tire in the real world. I respectfully suggest he takes a look at the tire shoot out, traction rating and test in the magazine before he makes a hasty and expensive decision.
          No I agree with you, I said "aggressive" but I meant traction-wise not looks-wise. Since he can swap for the seasons, get a traction tire that may not be the best for road wear or commuting, etc. I just used aggressive as an adjectiver, not a descriptor. Thanks for clarifying.

A lot of times you can go to feed stores, farm auctions, etc and look at what the farm trucks wear to see what works. Don't pay attention to the flashy new trucks or younger diesel heads but the older farmers. And if it has a 17" or bigger wheel that cost what the truck did don't even glance at that tire.

At least thats the way it used to be when you had the independant dealers before the chain stores came around.
          1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
          1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
          1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
          2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Originally posted by KRB64 View Post
            No I agree with you, I said "aggressive" but I meant traction-wise not looks-wise. Since he can swap for the seasons, get a traction tire that may not be the best for road wear or commuting, etc. I just used aggressive as an adjectiver, not a descriptor. Thanks for clarifying.

A lot of times you can go to feed stores, farm auctions, etc and look at what the farm trucks wear to see what works. Don't pay attention to the flashy new trucks or younger diesel heads but the older farmers. And if it has a 17" or bigger wheel that cost what the truck did don't even glance at that tire.

At least thats the way it used to be when you had the independant dealers before the chain stores came around.
            So...you're saying the 26" spinners I just picked up aren't going to work well...? = )

Comment

But you'll "look" good! ;)
              1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
              1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
              1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
              2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

mtr kevlar

Snowing all the way to work this morning 2 wd all the way baby. Not a spinning tire to be had. Lovin it.

Comment

Originally posted by Andyp View Post
                  -o.k for a stock 84,16" rim, 350 crew, stock suspension.[ which is due for paint this weekend fyi finally.}

Is your truck a srw or drw?

Comment

Keep in mind that Four wheeler did pick the swamper TRXus M/T for that test... not the best representation of the Interco line...
                    I have found TSL's to be long lasting (relatively), and a good overall tire, with a bias toward off road conditions of course.
                    Also, look into Buckshot mudders, they come in the 33" sizes you are looking for, and wear like iron. they are relatively cheap, and work very well in mud, snow, and dirt. Not the best slick/wet pavement tire, unless you like gettin sideways in a fullsize dodge... Not that i've ever done that..... :P I have a set on my 72 w200 right now that are about 36" tall on OEM 60's era 8 lug dodge wheels :) The tires are about 15 years old, i traded somethin for them, they cruise at 80 down the highway with no weaving or tracking like bias ply's.

Comment

Working...
                    X