lsd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lsd

I've been poking around looking for a LSD for my 79 D70 rear axle. So far I haven't found one. Did D70's ever come with LSD or does anyone know of a manufacturer?

I was also wondering if they were ever put in D60 Front axles.

The title of this threw me off in a big way.

Comment

they're out there

I see used ones pop up every now and then. always seem to be in Cali

Comment

The Dana Powr Lok and Dana Trak Lok were the factory options for LSDs in the D70s and D60s. The Power Lok uses a four pinion, while the Trak Lok has two.

Try here:

http://www.justdifferentials.com/ind...oducts_id=3937

My diesel doesn't have one, as I discovered on my icy driveway. I have been looking for one, too. I have the 3.07 rear with 32 spline axles, so I may be looking for awhile...

Comment

Thanks Chewie, exactly what I was looking for.
          btw, did you get my Hemi 6 pack joke?
          http://www.powerwagonadvertiser.com/...ad.php?t=12280

Comment

Not sure about the joke, but you are welcome for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by chewie View Post
              Not sure about the joke...
              Stenciled on your fender is 4266.

Comment

-grin-

I had to look for a bit! All I saw was forty-two, sixty-six.
                I've never seen a hemi. Drove a 440 truck once. That was neat.

Comment

My diesel doesn't have one, as I discovered on my icy driveway. I have been looking for one, too. I have the 3.07 rear with 32 spline axles, so I may be looking for awhile...
                  My dad and I have identical '92 & '93 CTDs except his is manual with an open rear and mine is an auto with LSD. LSD makes a world of difference. He has to lock in the 4x4 on wet grass...
                  1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
                  1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
                  1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
                  2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

I am finding that out more and more often. Ice, mud, frost... it doesn't matter what I'm driving on, if it's a little slick, my truck founders. I had to put log chains down on my driveway the other day just to get out. One set of wheels would spin, I'd work on that side to get some grip, and the other set would spin. Painfully frustrating!
                    I'd park the darn thing, except it gets better mileage than everything else I have.

Comment

Sounds like you do need LSD, and some weight in the bed.
                      2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Sounds like it's time for a selectable locker... = )

Never been a fan of limited slip differentials. Their lifespan is ...limited...and well,...they...slip....

They need constant attention, they need a special gear lube. Buying a used truck and being subject to the previous owner's ignorance, or cheapness means that a Chrysler Sure Grip (limited slips go in other brands!) was probably not properly maintained.

If properly maintained and given the correct factory designed lubrication, they can work well.

Comment

So what would be your ideal?

An air locker?

If I had the money I'd probably upgrade to something better I suppose.

Mine came with the truck at 90Kmiles. I drained the fluid, replaced it with synthetic and the addative and it's been good to me. Now has about 160K behind the 6B Cummins. Only complaint I really have is that the back tires will wear before the fronts...
                          2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Electric

Originally posted by KRB64 View Post
                            An air locker?

If I had the money I'd probably upgrade to something better I suppose.

Mine came with the truck at 90Kmiles. I drained the fluid, replaced it with synthetic and the addative and it's been good to me. Now has about 160K behind the 6B Cummins. Only complaint I really have is that the back tires will wear before the fronts...
                            You don't think that back tire wear has anything to do with "too many mods to list" do you? -grin-

I'd go with an electric, if I were to put a selectable in. (Easy wiring) An LSD will be fine for this truck, though. About the most serious off roading it will see is an unkept road to a campsite while it's hauling a locked rig.
                            Unless a locked rear would be better for a situation like that..?

Comment

You don't think that back tire wear has anything to do with "too many mods to list" do you? -grin-
                              Well........
                              2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Working...
                              X