Locker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locker

anybody ever put a locker ( limited slip ) in a 1977 FT4WD ?

I'm wondering how that would work out .

I've been thinking I'd like to have one.

But then I wonder sometimes too. A locker can also make an axle useless when things are really slick and it starts to go sideways...

An air locker would be ideal but who's got the money for that.
    1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
    1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
    1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
    2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Locker

You do mean in the rear differential, correct?

Comment

Yes, lots of people have put lockers in old dodge 4x4's. What are you trying to find out here?

Comment

Yes, I am talking about the rear diff. I was wondering if it is feasable on the FT4wd set up. and what would be the best way to do it ?

would I be better off in swaping out the axle , or just converting the one I have ?

Comment

As long as you are aware of the side effects of putting a locker in your truck, there is no reason you couldn't do it. Lockers are expensive, so if you wanted to install, or find an axle with one already installed, that's your call.

Comment

The side effects ? do tell...

Comment

Originally posted by n1265 View Post
                The side effects ? do tell...
                Turning on a slick surface can cause both tires to lose traction. Turning on solid surface is also hard, one tire may scrub across pavement if its forced to rotate same amount as the opposite tire, even though traveling a different distance.

Most issues involve turning. Straight line travel usually doesnt cause problems.

Bucky

Comment

A lot depends on the type of locker you install. My first 4x4 was a 78 W200 with a factory limited slip rear and 4:10 gears. It too was a full time and I never had any bad driving habits from that set up. I went through a lot of "stuff" especially deep snow. The set up is the key with the Dana 60 you probably have unless it's a half ton. It's worth the time and money if you are off road or in the slippery stuff a lot. I loved full time 4 wheel.

Comment

I had a Detroit in the rear and an ARB in the front of my '77 W300. There were no adverse effects with the Detroit, but this was a dually with a walk-in service body. 2,000 miles later the truck was stolen. Big ;(

Comment

There is a difference...

A "Locker" like the Detroit is a all or nothing device and will "ratchet" going around corners. They are more of an off road or drag application. You hear them sometimes depending on the radio level and you will feel them engage and disengage.
                      An "LSD" Limited Slip Differential" uses a (usually) clutch pack and spring system to gently limit the free wheeling. Eaton (factory) is an example of LSD. You don't know it is there until you are in a foot of snow and realise you can actually go. Either is great for doing donuts in the winter. I love my Eaton, my last Auburn LSD was awsome.
                      Down side....
                      You have to learn to drive with it, if you hit the throttle with it on a corner it will swap ends on you real fast. Careful, or playful....;-)

Comment

Yep. My '92 has a LSD but not full time and it makes a world of difference. My dad has an identical '93 W250 with an open diff and he spins out in a level yard...

But my full time M880 with open diffs can run circles around the '92. I think mainly due to the lead anchor over the front axle called a Cummins.

I remember my dad had a '68 Coronet when I was a kid. He just put in some kind of locking diff and we went for a test drive after a recent rain. Going up a hill the tranny downshifted (or he stepped on it...) and the next thing I knew we we going down hill in the opposite lane like nothing happened.
                        1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
                        1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
                        1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
                        2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

The biggest issue is having a non-differentiating differential while going around corners on pavement. if you don't mind chirping tires your golden. If you do, look for a selectable locker. My personal favorite is the OX locker, since it uses a cable for operation, making it most reliable.

Comment

OX locker

after lots of research, price comparison, and brain pickin of the members of this forum. I came to the conclusion that the manual OX locker was the best solution. then I found out OX doesn't make a locker for the Dana 70. a little searching of these forums may reveal the entire thread discussing lockers. pros and cons of each .

Comment

I do remember that, I recommended it then too. Did you ever email them asking why?

Comment

Working...
                              X