Disc brakes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by greg rider View Post
    I am of the same thought that it is a Chevy axle. I thought the Dodge tie rod ends were on the top of the knuckle arm, the knuckle arm was higher than a Chevy and the stud vs u-bolt theory. I think the spring pad width is only 1/2" different. Some things may appear the same, and even be the same like Bendix brake parts. Chevy rotors are thicker than Dodge. Dodge has a storied history of assembling odd vehicles, like Ramchargers with Dana 60 5 lug rears, Chryslers with bucket seats only because the sister Plymouth car had them and a customer wanted buckets. The Dodge and Chevy axles have a lot in common.
    Well the tie rod location would make since that it is Chevy from the knuckles out.

But I'm not convinced on the housing. Every Chevy I've seen, even though they use 4 u bolts, it's always a short and a long on the cast side.

I have seen one other dodge with the 4 u bolts and equal size ones on the cast side.

I guessit doesn't matter. It's in my truck and it works.

Comment

I dumped the front drums on my 74 W200/Dana 44 and replaced them with disc brakes from a Chevy 10 bolt. I swapped everthing from the knuckles out. It was all a bolt on. I had to change the master cyl to one for a dodge with a dana 60. I have put 20,000 miles on that setup and it works perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by Timster View Post
        I dumped the front drums on my 74 W200/Dana 44 and replaced them with disc brakes from a Chevy 10 bolt. I swapped everything from the knuckles out. It was all a bolt on. I had to change the master cyl to one for a dodge with a Dana 60. I have put 20,000 miles on that setup and it works perfectly.
        Great information!
        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by Timster View Post
          I dumped the front drums on my 74 W200/Dana 44 and replaced them with disc brakes from a Chevy 10 bolt. I swapped everthing from the knuckles out. It was all a bolt on. I had to change the master cyl to one for a dodge with a dana 60. I have put 20,000 miles on that setup and it works perfectly.
          I'm trying to remember the details. I believe the Chevy axle was a mid 80s model. Any Dodge truck master cyl made for disc brakes would work. I went for the one from a D60 setup just for the capacity. You have to change the master cyl as one for both front and rear drum brakes have a check valve built in that keep disc brakes from working properly. I have the part numbers and a few pictures somewhere.
          The real nice part of this swap is all the steering components (tie rods and such) are all original Dodge so you don't have to worry about mixing in Chevy parts.

Comment

Great information. Sound like any Dodge or Chevy 44 from the 80s would be a good donor.

Comment

Working...
            X