Question about Magnum vs. LA engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Magnum vs. LA engine

Looking to put a 318 Magnum engine in a truck that is currently a 318 LA engine. The Magnum is fuel injected and LA has 2bbl carb. I would like to keep the carburetor setup and swap it to the Magnum. So, will the intake from the LA swap to the Magnum? Is an aftermarket manifold necessary? In general, what are people using for heads, intake, carb with this engine swap?

Manifold should swap right over with no problem's it's been done plenty of times

Comment

Won't fit. The Magnum series of engines, meaning the post '92 ones, have intake manifold bolts that are vertical not angled to the head. There are plenty of aftermarket intakes that allow a carb on these engines. You may have to change the distributor also.

Comment

Yes, I plan to swap the distributor and use the LA engine electronic ignition one that is in the truck now. Performance wise I know it makes more sense to keep the Magnum heads. I just wonder if the LA heads will work on the Magnum engine in order to not have to buy an intake?

Comment

You can have Magnum heads drilled and tapped for LA intake.

Comment

Much easier to just buy the intake, no mess, no fuss, half a day job, simple bolt on. Putting LA heads on may not be so easy. They will bolt on but I think the rocker gear is different because of the roller cam in the Magnum engine. LA heads are a step backwards in performance, like a V6 in a corvette. What is wrong with the LA engine?

Comment

LA heads have 5 bolts. Magnums have 10. As was previously stated the magnums have a different intake bolt pattern as well.

The factory magnum head castings are known for cracking in between the valve guides, so inspect them closely before final re-assembly. If they are bad, these are a better casting, and not too expensive.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DODGE-DAKOTA...ht_1722wt_1186

If i was you I would just spring for a new magnum intake designed for a carb.

Comment

LA heads will not work on Magnum block. LA oils rockers through head and Magnum oils through push rods.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Williams View Post
                  Looking to put a 318 Magnum engine in a truck that is currently a 318 LA engine. The Magnum is fuel injected and LA has 2bbl carb. I would like to keep the carburetor setup and swap it to the Magnum. So, will the intake from the LA swap to the Magnum? Is an aftermarket manifold necessary? In general, what are people using for heads, intake, carb with this engine swap?
                  Short answer? No. But you can buy a carburator intake for the Magnum and run whatever carb you want. Except I'm not sure if you can find one for a 2bbl...

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Second part in the first pic.
                    Mopar does not show a 2 barrel carb intake for a Magnum. I would still like to know what is wrong with the original engine.

Comment

Interesting stuff and thanks for the responses. I've been thinking for a few years now that I need to learn more about the Magnum vs. LA engines. I guess the time has come to do just that.

Comment

just so you know we ran Mag motor with a two barrel bolted on with a plywood carb adapter on the stock beer barrel mag motor intake as a test with a points Dist in a engine test stand / it ran pretty good and rev,ed up nice but with NO load on it / dont know how it would run in a vehicle / plus our home made plywood carb adapter with NO gaskets was not the best either / it was one of those sunday afternoons with nothing to do but drink BEER and lets see if we can make this sucker run

Comment

Originally posted by DODGEBOYS View Post
                          just so you know we ran Mag motor with a two barrel bolted on with a plywood carb adapter on the stock beer barrel mag motor intake as a test with a points Dist in a engine test stand / it ran pretty good and rev,ed up nice but with NO load on it / dont know how it would run in a vehicle / plus our home made plywood carb adapter with NO gaskets was not the best either / it was one of those sunday afternoons with nothing to do but drink BEER and lets see if we can make this sucker run
                          Living this close to MO, I've seen plenty of redneck truck fixes. But never a plywood gasket. LOL
                          Can we see a pic?

Comment

Working...
                          X