78 Snow Commander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 78 Snow Commander

I went to a salvage yard the other day and found a 78 snow commander, it has been there for a long time, the body is in bad shape. The transfer case and the axles are there, also it has a air condition dash. Someone told me that this truck has heavy dudy axles and that I should get the axles and transfer case, it has a four speed also. My truck is a 76 W100, should I get the axles and transfer case? They want 150 for the transfer case, 50 per axle.

I would see what they want for the whole truck. The prices are good for what you have listed. Is the truck a W200? I think the Sno Commander was 3/4 ton only,,could be wrong. It probably has the same Dana 44 front axle that you currently have, just different outers for the 8 lug application. The rear axle is probably the desireable Dana 60. Both of these will bolt right into your truck. The bad is that front axle and transfer case are full time units. The good is that these can be converted easily compared to the small bolt pattern 5 lug Dana 44. The transfer case is a good unit but check for chain stretch in one that saw plow duty, hard work, or a lot of miles. I would buy the truck, keep the axles, and part it out. Later down the road put outers on the front axle and gain the locking hubs for part-time. The tranny is the manual NP435 and is very rugged. I would keep this also and use all the parts from the donor to hook it up.

Comment

Sno commander

There should be a second headlight pull switch,and holes on the dash where theplow controlls were.

Comment

Originally posted by greg rider View Post
        I would see what they want for the whole truck. The prices are good for what you have listed. Is the truck a W200? I think the Sno Commander was 3/4 ton only,,could be wrong. It probably has the same Dana 44 front axle that you currently have, just different outers for the 8 lug application. The rear axle is probably the desireable Dana 60. Both of these will bolt right into your truck. The bad is that front axle and transfer case are full time units. The good is that these can be converted easily compared to the small bolt pattern 5 lug Dana 44. The transfer case is a good unit but check for chain stretch in one that saw plow duty, hard work, or a lot of miles. I would buy the truck, keep the axles, and part it out. Later down the road put outers on the front axle and gain the locking hubs for part-time. The tranny is the manual NP435 and is very rugged. I would keep this also and use all the parts from the donor to hook it up.
        Its a W100, 5 bolt lug.

Comment

Another sno commander detail

Some sno commanders came with cab top lights. Cab lights were normally reserved for w300s. Is there a coffe can sized hydraulic fluid reserve in the engine compartment? There should also be extra wiring connectors near the grill for the plow lamps. Not many sno commanders left since they led a rough life. Having the hydraulic reserve in the warm engine compartment was a big advantage for commercial plow guys. Any decals or markings left on the exterior?

Comment

Originally posted by 74w300uteline View Post
            Some sno commanders came with cab top lights. Cab lights were normally reserved for w300s. Is there a coffe can sized hydraulic fluid reserve in the engine compartment? There should also be extra wiring connectors near the grill for the plow lamps. Not many sno commanders left since they led a rough life. Having the hydraulic reserve in the warm engine compartment was a big advantage for commercial plow guys. Any decals or markings left on the exterior?
            The only thing left is a snow comander decal on passenger side bed.

Comment

How can I tell if it is a 318 or a 360? I know its on the driver side but where?

Comment

Originally posted by 04 Diesel View Post
                How can I tell if it is a 318 or a 360? I know its on the driver side but where?
                The VIN will tell. Usually (not always) 318's were 2 bl & 360's had 4bl carbs.

Both W100 & W200's were used as Sno-Fiters & Sno-Commanders, and I think the cab clearance lights were part of the package, along with the strobe decal.

Bucky

Comment

With it being a 5 lug axles on the Sno Commander you would be gaining nothing. They had a second power steering pump running the hydraulics and was unique to Dodge pickups of that era. I would still see what they want for the whole truck, keep some spare parts, and sell off the pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by greg rider View Post
                    With it being a 5 lug axles on the Sno Commander you would be gaining nothing. They had a second power steering pump running the hydraulics and was unique to Dodge pickups of that era. I would still see what they want for the whole truck, keep some spare parts, and sell off the pieces.
                    There is not much left but the axles, transfer case, I want the dash, its a ac dash, the ac compressor is still there but looks rough, are they hard to rebuild? I found a np203 for 50 bucks local, it was behind a 440, will it fit behind my 318?

Comment

If the 203 was behind another 4-speed then it will work, just use your bell.
                      If ones behind an auto & the other behind a 4-speed, then it gets complicated.
                      If both 203's are married to automatics, they are the same, but big block transmissions wont fit a small block engine.
                      Bucky

Comment

There is not much left but the axles, transfer case, I want the dash, its a ac dash, the ac compressor is still there but looks rough, are they hard to rebuild? I found a np203 for 50 bucks local, it was behind a 440, will it fit behind my 318?
                        I can't be for certain about the small block sno-commanders, but I know for sure that a/c was not available with the snow commander on big blocks. So it could be that the truck was not originally a sno-commander, if that make any difference? Doug

Comment

Originally posted by dougdodgeman View Post
                          I can't be for certain about the small block sno-commanders, but I know for sure that a/c was not available with the snow commander on big blocks. So it could be that the truck was not originally a sno-commander, if that make any difference? Doug
                          Im pretty sure this truck is a small block.

Comment

Im thinking about getting the motor, how much would you pay for something like that? Keep in mind that the hood is gone, the oil cap is gone and is rusty inside.

Comment

Im thinking about getting the motor, how much would you Tuesday for something like that? Keep in mind that the hood is gone, the oil cap is gone and is rusty inside.
                              I would'nt even pay what the value of scrap iron is right now, especially if I had to remove it from the truck! If you're in need of an engine give me a call, I've got small blocks that are rebuildable that aren't rusted, and I've got one low mileage complete that I'd make you a good deal on! But, to answer your question directly, nothing more than than $ 50.00 if it's rusted up. Just one man's opinion! Doug

Comment

Working...
                              X