2017 Alpine Sound System Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 Alpine Sound System Upgrade

I like the new Ram with the Alpine sound system but I must admit that it’s front dash speakers are not exactly clear, especially at higher frequencies. For example, cymbals sort of buzz.

Following some guidelines that I found on the internet, I decided to use the newer Infinity X REF-3032cfx speakers to replace the paper cone lovelies in Eyore’’s dash (yes, his name is Eyore). I popped off the covers (being careful with the light sensor cable on the center cover). I wound up using a 9/32” ignition wrench and a tiny 1/4 ratcheting driver with a 9/32” socket to get the 7mm screws out due to the tight space by the windshield. I added Metra 71-039C adaptors, being careful to support the tiny speaker terminals when pressing on the connectors. It’s not my first rodeo, I’ve broken speaker connections before. Sigh. Anyway, it’s a great upgrade. Cymbals now sound like a real musical instrument. I’m quite happy.

I personally hate boom-boom and keep the bass turned down because the factory box is a little one-noted. I typically design my own speaker enclosures so that I can hear music with a good frequency response and no thumping is allowed. So, I’m changing the woofer next but if it doesn’t straighten up, its days are limited. I’ll design an enclosure with a flat response (Q of .707) to replace the factory unit if need be.

My inspiration came from here:
    http://www.ramforum.com/threads/alpi...2500-cc.63195/

Wow. All of my apostrophes have been randomized. What a world, what a world! I’m it’s owner’s - let’s see how this comes out! ;)

Comment

Copping and pasting text results in some interesting reading sometimes.
      I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
      Will
      WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
      1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
      1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
      1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
      2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

I love the factory Power Wagon stereo in my 2012. It has great sound and has the ability to "Boom" Just right if I am listening to the right Merle Haggard or Jim Croche song.
        1967 W200.aka.Hank
        1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
        2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

Working...
        X