No announcement yet.

I'm back on the Crispy critter 58 PG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The wheels and tires are mounted, the radiator is in with new hoses and I just got a visit from a friend who will recover the seat. Now to order the fabric from SMS Fabrics so we can get on with the interior. This truck is going to be in Iowa by rally time one way or another.

Comment

At least there isnt much to the interior! Couple a seats, couple a door panels, couple a sun visors and a headliner and you are there. I heard rumor around that someone makes a preformed headliner panel similar in makeup to later model vehicles (a foam/almost glassed type of material) that is light and easy to stick some material to and put up in place. That would definately be ideal.
      What are you doing for flooring in this one? I still havent decided on a route to take with mine. There will definately be (hopefully) dynamat type insulation all over to cut down on rattles/noises and heat transfer to the inside of the cab. On top of that I still dont know, heavy rubber matting for easy clean-up or carpeting for a more comfortable feel.

Comment

Well it sounds easy enough but it's still a lot of work going back to original. I have made interior panels before but my supplier quit on me. I've got a repopped mat from John Giedl in MN for the floor. They fit perfectly and look original. I am ordering original seat fabric soon also.

Comment

Every PG steering wheel I've come across has been cracked at the spokes and ring. This wheel is no different which lead me to repairing it with PC7 epoxy. I filed the cracked edges in a V like beveling metal for welding. I applied the epoxy with a plastic bondo spreader I cut down to an inch wide. I wore nitrile gloves to help push the epoxy into the cracks. Last night I used a wood chisel to pare off the excess material since sanding would be difficult because of the softness of the wheel. By laying the back of the chisel flat on the wheel I was able to shave the PC 7 flush and with a light sanding it looks like new. Now to clean if well for primer and paint. I have yet to find the color code for Sandalwood. So I may go with black instead. The new seat fabric is due here on Tuesday. The wiring is almost complete once we trade out the ignition switch and connect the heater switch. Still a lot of things on the list but once the interior is done I think I'll be home free. How many PG's are going to be in Iowa for the rally? I'm taking two.

Comment

Thats the same basic method I used when I restored the steering wheel in my boss's '56 Nomad. We had a very nice one, it just happened to have a couple shrink cracks around the base. Some epoxy and a bit of sanding and paint and it looked good as new. We just used the same primer, paint and clear coat that we used on the rest of the car and trim and it seems to be holding up just fine. Its been complete and driven for almost a year now.

Comment

Ron,
              "Sandlewood" paint code is as follows: Ditzler #21429
              Your local PPG supplier should be able to cross that number over to a current PPG mix. I had some mixed for my 58 PG.
              Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Ron in Indiana View Post
                Every PG steering wheel I've come across has been cracked at the spokes and ring. This wheel is no different which lead me to repairing it with PC7 epoxy. I filed the cracked edges in a V like beveling metal for welding. I applied the epoxy with a plastic bondo spreader I cut down to an inch wide. I wore nitrile gloves to help push the epoxy into the cracks. Last night I used a wood chisel to pare off the excess material since sanding would be difficult because of the softness of the wheel. By laying the back of the chisel flat on the wheel I was able to shave the PC 7 flush and with a light sanding it looks like new. Now to clean if well for primer and paint. I have yet to find the color code for Sandalwood. So I may go with black instead. The new seat fabric is due here on Tuesday. The wiring is almost complete once we trade out the ignition switch and connect the heater switch. Still a lot of things on the list but once the interior is done I think I'll be home free. How many PG's are going to be in Iowa for the rally? I'm taking two.
                If you had a bigger hauling rig maybe you could bring more....
                Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff in N.Tx. View Post
                  Ron,
                  "Sandlewood" paint code is as follows: Ditzler #21429
                  Your local PPG supplier should be able to cross that number over to a current PPG mix. I had some mixed for my 58 PG.
                  Jeff
                  Thanks Jeff. I found it on Auto Color library but couldn't make out the number when it was enlarged. It's a different color for sure screaming the 50's like Buckskin Tan. ha ha. I'll see if they can make it in a small quantity since it's only used on the steering wheel and column.

Yeah Gordon that's what I need a larger hauling rig. LOL 35ft is plenty for me thanks. And your truck will be there this year ??????

Comment

Originally posted by Ron in Indiana View Post
                    Thanks Jeff. I found it on Auto Color library but couldn't make out the number when it was enlarged. It's a different color for sure screaming the 50's like Buckskin Tan. ha ha. I'll see if they can make it in a small quantity since it's only used on the steering wheel and column.

Yeah Gordon that's what I need a larger hauling rig. LOL 35ft is plenty for me thanks. And your truck will be there this year ??????
                    I am trying to figure out how to edit out your last sentence without having you notice.....
                    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

To quote Al Borland of Tool Time "I don't think so Tim". Maybe you could get Bert and Madge to drive it down for you? LOL We'll give you a break this due to your situation this year, BUT next year.....

Comment

It lives again

My son finished the wiring on Crispy today so we put in a battery to start it up. It didn't want to fire but after filing the points we heard that sweet 315 come to life. It's been a few years but it sounds so nice. I've got the running boards ready to paint. I hope to take the seat for recovering tomorrow night. I got a reply from SMS Auto fabrics saying they can duplicate the door panels if I send some originals. Now to find out their turnaround times. Still waiting for my weather stripping from Restoration Specialties. It's coming together.

Comment

I'm down to a punch list

Everything is coming together nicely. I've got the new door glass and new weather stripping installed. Restoration Specialties puts out first class products. I'm waiting on new rubber for the windshield and rear window. The seat is being recovered right now and I have a headliner cut out. I'll take it over to have the edges done with the vinyl edging then paint it. I started to straighten the rear bumper but it didn't cooperate. So I cut off the ends to make a new center section. This has the wrap around ends that bolt to the fenders. It's period correct which is why I'm going this route. Besides the factory bumpers are hard to come by. With all the rain we've been having I've been able to get plenty of shop time in to finish this project. Hope to see a few more PG's and Townwagons at the rally.

Comment

No pics till Iowa??................

Comment

Kev

where did you get the fur hat from? I've been looking for a fur hat with antlers for years.

ahahaha

Comment

We don't need no stinking glassman

With my son's help we were able to set the back window and windshield today in Crispy. The windshield actually went easier than the small back window. I used gaskets from Clester's which fit very well and easy to work with. Also got the rear bumper bolted on and tail lights hooked up. Worked on several small items on the punch list including drilling holes for the POWER WAGON emblems. The front fenders were from a D 500 so no holes other than for DODGE and the "8". I used another 58 for a pattern by laying down masking tape over the holes and punching them in the tape. A simple transfer to align to the existing holes and get out the drill. I wasn't real keen on drilling new paint but I forgot to drill them before it was painted. I'm down to the interior and setting the hood.

Comment

Working...
                                X