Newbie with a W500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ScreaminChicken View Post
    Those part numbers will definitely come in handy. I've got a 84 GMC mini pumper that's built on a 3500 4x4 chassis, but its not as cool as yours :)

Are the lockouts useful on a truck that size? Or is it just a matter of saving wear and tear on the front end?

Does installation require any kind of t-case modifications? A buddy did a Mile-Marker install on a w200 years ago and it was a LOT of work. I think it required some changes inside the transfer case.
    No modification needed. It just keeps the front driveshaft/differential from turning when the t-case is in 2wd (hubs unlocked of course). Other than that lock-outs don't do much.

Your truck will weight 10-11,000lbs. My short WB W600 has a flatbed & weighs 10,000 even. Your dump bed should be heavier.

Bucky

Comment

Originally posted by Clint Dixon View Post
      Hi Dave. Before you start putting that power steering setup on your W500, you may want to give Mike Fleig in Fairfield a call and get his 2 cents worth on the idea of reusing power steering setups.
      What are you saying, Clint? Can you comment?
      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
        What are you saying, Clint? Can you comment?
        I don't know if Mike visits this page or not. I would really rather anyone thinking of doing this swap would get the story first-hand from him.

Basically, he ended up injured and a customer's Power Wagon ended up totaled from an accident after he installed a power steering setup that was supplied by the customer.

The thing I learned from this is to always ask myself if it is possible that the part I am removing from a wrecked doner truck is the part that wrecked the truck in the first place.

Comment

You are saying used parts were installed as-is on the next truck and they did not work right? One can certainly see how that could happen.

Caveat Emptor.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
            You are saying used parts were installed as-is on the next truck and they did not work right? One can certainly see how that could happen.

Caveat Emptor.
            I don't believe Mike would ever install anything "as-is." Sometimes parts can be defective in operation and the problem not be apparent even after close physical inspection.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint Dixon View Post
              I don't believe Mike would ever install anything "as-is." Sometimes parts can be defective in operation and the problem not be apparent even after close physical inspection.
              I agree. I am not trying to color him bad. It is, as you point out, extremely difficult to know what is inside something. I am confident there are many steering gears and racks purchased used and fitted to a vehicle with nothing more than a knocking off of the bigger clumps of dirt.

Comment

Working...
              X