No announcement yet.

New to me 1961 W300

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow some detailed knowledge there! I am encouraged that there may be some adjustment to the steering but am a bit worried I'm not enough of a "real" mechanic for the task. More learn by trying.

I do have the service manuals which seem to be easy to follow as well - so we'll have to see how it goes.

Maybe you should put the above post in a technical area somewhere for others to read as well.

Thanks,

Ray

Comment

Gordon,
      You've added appropriate light to the "grey area".
      Many, as pointed out, simply drive the adjuster in.

Apart from the steering box, the drag link, rag joint
      and tie rod ends are also items to inspect and consider
      as possible sources for a loose steering system.
      John

Comment

on the rear axle

almost every full floating rear axle ever made require the rear axles to be removed to get drum off. Older Power WAgons and military dodge 4x4s had drums held on jsut with retaining screws but they are the exception. most every Ford GM and Dodge 3/4 and 1 ton is set up like your truck. really not a big deal once you do it you will see.
        if you do adjust the steering box make sure the wheels are pointed straight forward!

Comment

It is not the whole axle that needs to be removed to check the brakes shoes, it is just the axle shafts. Take the tires off, then undo the bolts on the drive flange (very center of the hub), probably 6 or 8 bolts, then slide the axle shafts out.

Comment

Nice looking truck!!

How about some particulars? Where did it come from? How many miles are on it (if known)?

Comment

Working...
            X