Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The 66 is on the road again , with 440 power!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 66 is on the road again , with 440 power!

Well , I got it back on the road !
    It is a Blast to drive.
    I love my CTD but ive been having so much fun driving the 66 I may go broke buying gas.

The poly 318 to 440 swap was so painless it was very enjoyable.
    It went in really smooth and runs great.
    One thing I thought was pretty neat was the 440 HP is a late 66 casting date (although its a 67 model year) .

While I was at it I swapped the Ramsey winch for a Braden ,
    changed the front and rear bumpers ,
    swapped in a chrome grill,
    added a CD player ( dash was already hacked) ,
    an NOS 1965 tach ,and a Hurst T- handle.

A friend is making some stock looking "Super Stock-Power Wagon 440" decals for the air cleaner and valve covers.
    I have a long way to go yet , but its gettin there.
    Thanks guys.
    William.

Comment

Comment

Yipes, that's a real brute there, William! Park it next to a Chevy and watch oil leaks spreading out from underneath them as they lose continence...

No doubt it runs just as good as it looks! Gotta be a ball to drive. Nice job!

LOVE the Ram's head, what's that off of?

Comment

Thanks JimmieD !
          It sure does get peoples attention , I havnt had it very long and its fast becoming one of my all time favorites .

As for the Ram I'm not sure of the year , but I got it off of a 64 spud truck ,many years ago that was on its way to the scap yard.
          For a long time I assumed it was for this type of hood since it fits perfectly.
          I havnt found out for sure but I belive it come from an older 50's vintage Dodge orignally.

Thanks again.

Comment

Sweet truck! Nice job on the conversion!

Power Man
            (Rob)

Comment

Thank you very much PowerMan !

Comment

Wow!.... that's an awesome truck! The 67HP 440, in my opinion, was
                the "hottest" 440 put on the road. I have the same LU-2 winch set
                up on my '68 W200 as you have. Same front bumper too! Nicely done!!
                What gear ratio do your axles have?
                John

Comment

Thanks very very much John !
                  Sounds like we both have good taste !
                  Right now its got 4.10's but I may swap the front and rear with my 64 crew cab.
                  Its got factory 4.88's , and I would like to run a 35" tire if I can do it without a lift.
                  I know I would have to trim the front fenders.
                  Ive seen it done so that it looks factory.
                  Thanks again John !
                  William

Comment

Originally posted by WARWAGON41 View Post
                    Thanks very very much John !
                    Sounds like we both have good taste !
                    Right now its got 4.10's but I may swap the front and rear with my 64 crew cab.
                    Its got factory 4.88's , and I would like to run a 35" tire if I can do it without a lift.
                    I know I would have to trim the front fenders.
                    Ive seen it done so that it looks factory.
                    Thanks again John !
                    William
                    I'm running 4:88's in my '68 W200. I can't make it much past 60mph
                    without winding it out pretty good. I've got LT235/85/16's with no
                    plans on anything larger. Are you going to clip the original fenders
                    or use a "sacrificial" pair? I've seen the cut you're referring to done
                    on a fellow Sweptliner's W200.... you don't notice it much. That's a
                    pretty tough to find factory chrome light duty rear bumper too....
                    John

Comment

I had 295/ 75 / 16's on the 4.88's and it actually did good on the hwy , but the 7.50 -16.5's on it now arent so good above 50 mph.
                      I really like the the 295's , there taller than a 33" but narrower than most and they look / fit great on the sweptlines.
                      The problem is only a couple companies make them and they are expensive (ie. out of my price range).
                      I can get decent used 35's real cheap.
                      Im running 285's on the 66 (in the photos) and they work out good with the 4.10's , but I had to barrow them off of my ramcharger.

As for the fenders , the ones on it look much better in the photos than they are so I think Ill bob those.
                      I have a very nice pair , but I could never bring myself to cut good originals.

The light duty rear bumper was a lucky score !
                      it was on the front of a parts truck I bought.
                      I was never sure it was even a Dodge bumper.
                      It had a couple extra holes in it , but its the only one Ive ever found.

William

Comment

hey nice truck ,i want to do a 440 in mine soon can you post a few pics of your motor mounts ,did you run the horn in the front with the mount bolts below the crank pulley or is there mounts on the motor and bellhousing?thanks in advance yo

Comment

Thanks d300 !
                          I'll try to get you some pics as soon as the weather clears up a bit , its nasty and dark out there now.
                          Every thing bolted in just like the stock setup
                          Its a 440 HP , but I have no idea what car it was orginally in.
                          I used the oil pan ,pickup tube and motor mounts off of a 383 that was in a 71 D100.
                          I also used a big block bell housing with the same mounts as the orginal.
                          You also need to run a center dump exhaust on the drivers side to clear every thing .
                          You will most likely need to relocate the radiator with the big block as its a bit longer than a poly or LA block , but its real easy to do.
                          Hope the weathers better tomarrow so I can snap you some pictures.
                          Thanks again.
                          William

Comment

I picked up some 36 inch hummer tires on old school slotted mags , had to see how they would look.
                            A little big , but i love those wheels on old pickups !
                            No left hand lug nuts for them yet so i only put on em on the right side.
                            They would work with a minor trim in the front.
                            anyway , kinda changes the old girls personality.

Comment

Wow, I am glad this thread came back.

What is the spline count on your 435? I have a 66 W500 with a poly & a 540 5-speed. I would like to swap in my 440. It's bolted to a 435 with a mechanical bell. I am wondering if I should find a hydraulic bell like you did, or try to swap in my mechanical bell/clutch.

Bucky

Comment

Working...
                              X