Opinions needed on 66 Power Wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

name that part

whats the red thing coming down from the front bumper, going back to the front tire?

Comment

Maybe a support for the plow frame ?

Comment

Originally posted by oldmopar View Post
        Maybe a support for the plow frame ?
        Yep.... plow carriage. The doors are '61-'66. The cab is '61-'68. The cab
        cowl has been body worked pretty heavily. The "fringe" hanging down
        in the one pic is fiberglass cloth used for hole repair [bondo]. The gauge
        cluster looks to be real early ['61/'62?]. There is one lever on the t-case
        so it very well could be an NP205, which was introduced in '69. The front
        core support is popping through pretty good on the right side. The tailgate
        is of '70 & later vintage. The box steps are not original. The hood, I'd
        guess, has been body worked as there are no holes for the D O D G E
        letters. You could always get the VIN from the tag on the left door jamb
        and also from the right front side of the frame and see if they match. Not
        a lot matches on this truck. If there was talk of front end issues and it
        did not get any bids the last time on Ebay, I'd be wary myself. I've lived
        in the cold rusty Northeast all of my life.... I've seen better.... I've seen
        worse. I think that there is a lot of "glass" in this truck. That's my two
        cents.... for what its worth....
        John

Comment

thanks for all the replies gents... I did go and look her over, even drove it. It is a mutt, even more of a mutt than I thought based on Hobcobbles post. Good amount of bondo in the cowl, fiberglass floor pans put in crappy style. No granny gear 1st! I thought they all had granny gear trannys. Anyway ot drove pretty crappy to me, although my buddy didn't think it was as bad as I did. I forgot the joys of front drum brakes and no power steering. It would be too much of a project for me, as I'm never satisfied with something that isn't mechanically sound. The seller said it's going back on ebay with a $2800 starting bid, good luck to him. The search for a decent PW in and around PA continues.

Comment

Originally posted by cstamm81 View Post
            No granny gear 1st! I thought they all had granny gear trannys.
            There is a close ratio NP435. The granny gives you a 6.68:1 which is
            nice. I don't have the gear spec on the close ratio handy.... but it
            sounds like you've moved on anyhow. I think you've made the right
            decision.... FWIW.
            John

Comment

Yup, I'm moving on. The truck just didnt give me a good gut feeling, reason enough to pass on it. I'm sure I will post up another PW for opinions when I come by it. Thanks for all of the opinions, they were a huge help.

Comment

hood

Not that it matters anymore but that grill is a 70-71 only!

Comment

Working...
                X