No announcement yet.

1979 Dodge Palomino Power Wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MoparNom, I have to laugh because you're so right about us being a little bit on the cheap side. Isn't that why we buy Dodges in the first place, because they're the best value for the money in the long run? I'd like to think that Dodge owners are the more intelligent bunch, buying for practical reasons, not emotional ones like those Ford and Chevy guys who buy just because it has the blue oval or bow tie on the grille. And don't even talk to me about guys (or are they gals) who buy Toyota Tundras...........

Comment

Ha!
      I was at a campground over Thanksgiving and a guy and his wife wanted to look inside my Uncles 31' trailer (an easy tow with my Cummins).
      He was bragging about his tent trailer being towed by his Prius....but admitted that his trailer was too small and he wanted the exact model my Uncle had.
      He said he had already upgraded to a Titan pickup......(insert rolling eyes here)
      I said, that's fine, but don't expect to tow a 31' travel trailer with a gas motor up to the mountains here, and to expect 6 mpg with that truck....I don't think he was too happy about that....then he blurted out, yeah but your Uncle tows with a Ford!!!! ha! ha! I replied, yes, but it's a diesel......
      "...Gals and their Tundras..." ha! ha!

Comment

I believe that part of the aftermarket parts problems with Mopars are directly the fault of Chrysler Corp.

The sweeper & cleanup crew at the dragstrips spent lots of time cleaning up after a Chevy 348, 409, 427, 383, 400 etc engines scattered to smithereens. When they weren't busy with that it was picking up pieces of a Ford 406, 427 etc. that lost the will to live in one piece. Mopars? 3 to 25 times the number of runs before disaster! You had to get inventive to scatter anything Chrysler built except a Slant 6, and they weren't designed to race, period.

If they don't blow up or fall apart who's going to bother making parts? Second, Mopars ran like stink right off the show room floor, bone stock. It took $1,000's to make a Ford or Chevy run like a stock Chrysler! Also with the excellent engineering added to parts interchange abilities there wasn't that much call for aftermarket parts.

Look at a Slummit or JEGS preformance catalogue and notice 4, 5, 6 PAGES of fixes for the GM starter, the same one they have built virtually unchanged since 1955! GM is so completely bottom line oriented that they won't even change a known bad part after 53 years.

It is my studied opinion, having owned many of them, that GM builds junk, but sheer numbers allow some to stick together longer. I've owned many of the best Buick, Cadillac, Chevies, Pontiac, Olds and was amazed again and again that but for minor difference they were all basically Chevies, except for engines. That cheapskate manufacturing catches up quick, so a huge aftermarket developed for a ready market of needful buyers.

People wanted a cheap bread and butter car and GM provided it. Folks got what they paid for. I found that GM products were good for about 100,000- 125,000 miles. I then discovered that most Chrysler products were good for 250,000 miles. My Town Wagon has over 1,000,000 miles on it, and thousands and thousands more to go. I put over 600,000 miles on it myself!

Comment

MoparNorm, don't get me going about what we refer to around here as the "Prius patriots". I don't mind people wanting to conserve fuel and help the environment, just don't take it to the extreme like they are around here trying to punish non-hybrid owners and/or legislate our trucks, SUVs and even minivans out of existence. As it is anyone driving a hybrid or alternate energy vehicle gets to park in any of the State's commuter garages for free. We have two towns near Boston that are pushing for state-wide legislation that will allow cities and towns to tax pickups, SUVs and minivans at twice the rate of other vehicles AND eliminate the tax for hybrids. One of these towns wants to actually make it illegal to park a pickup, van/minivan or SUV on their streets. I mean really, this is going a bit far.

Comment

e486, sounds like

that town needs a good old northeastern Power Wagon Rally. I've always wanted to be on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by E4863 View Post
              MoparNorm, don't get me going about what we refer to around here as the "Prius patriots". I don't mind people wanting to conserve fuel and help the environment, just don't take it to the extreme like they are around here trying to punish non-hybrid owners and/or legislate our trucks, SUVs and even minivans out of existence. As it is anyone driving a hybrid or alternate energy vehicle gets to park in any of the State's commuter garages for free. We have to towns near Boston that are pushing for state-wide legislation that will allow cities and towns to tax pickups, SUVs and minivans at twice the rate of other vehicles AND eliminate the tax for hybrids. One of these towns wants to actually make it illegal to park a pickup, van/minivan or SUV on their streets. I mean really, this is going a bit far.
              You're just now getting a taste of what CA has been for decades. Solo drivers in hybrids can drive in the car pool lanes here. Vehicles over 6800 lbs pay a guzzler tax, it goes on and on, with no real results.
              These elected idiots don't understand basic economics, the market ALWAYS drives change, not regulation...

Comment

4x4 79 power wagon palomino

88k miles, 360 V8, auto, 4x4, a/c, cruise, electric locks, p/b, p/s, been setting up 10-12 yrs. this pic was taken the day i hauled it back and pressure washed it off.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by bran20man View Post
                  88k miles, 360 V8, auto, 4x4, a/c, cruise, electric locks, p/b, p/s, been setting up 10-12 yrs. this pic was taken the day i hauled it back and pressure washed it off.
                  looks good!

Comment

I'm new here but found this site by looking for info about a truck, This truck is listed on craigs list in my town and was just posting if anyone wanted it, Thanks

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/1024651366.html

Comment

There's one palomino all ate up in a junkyard here in central IL. One of the fenders is now on my truck. I found the decal after sanding off all half dozen paint layers and got me really intrigued. I went back and found the stock seat which was BEAUTIFUL. I took the seat to a couple reupholster places and got a big fat negative on the material. My truck isn't too far off from those colors and I'm really interested in getting my seat redone with that material. Where did you find replacement material for that?

Comment

seat material

I bought the last that the fabric company in Oregon had. I have several PALOMINO's that I need to get to, and figured I would buy it while it was available....

Comment

Working...
                        X