My MV's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My MV's

Hi Gents , My name is Mike and I'm new to this Forum .
    I've owned my 2 Dodge's for about 7 years now and finally started doing some work on them ...Our City had a public Auction years ago and I won the M880 for $600 (with a trailer) and the M886 for $300 . I really didn't think I'd win the 886 but ..I'm really glad I did. I thought I'd post a few pictures of them.
    Attached Files

Both Dodges have been put back to work ....and they've holding up until recently.
    Funny how many of the younger Soldiers don't know what an M880 is ...they keep calling it a "CutVee" not knowing it's a Dodge. :)
    Attached Files

Comment

The 886 comes in handy for moving supplies ..I can pack it pretty tight.
      Attached Files

Comment

Looks like you got some really good deals. I guess the Jeeps are yours too?

Comment

Yes , I bought the 1944 GPW back in 1978 ...got it from an old Gent who bought it surplus in '46 from Camp Hale (Leadville Co - 10th Mountain).
          The M38A1 I bought a few years ago .
          I enjoy seeing them used so , I loan them to Veteran groups for Parades and displays whenever I can.
          Last year I found a 1942 Anti-Tank Gun to tow behind my GPW ....lucky I have a Wife and neighbors who don't mind my "hobby" :)
          Here are a few shots from this year's West Point 4th of July Parade and 1 from another NY Parade when the DAV's used it.
          Attached Files

Comment

Wow!
            Welcome Mike! Great photos, that anti tank gun is awesome!

Comment

Thanks Norm and nice meeting you all. I found the Gun in NJ sitting behind a House (??) It was made in 1942 by General Motors Holdens in Australia !
              It's known as a "2Pdr" (40mm) ...it was prof de activated (cut, welded & plugged) but done in a way that doesn't detract when displayed.Wish I could find out how it ended up over here ...
              Here's the Brass ID plate --
              Attached Files

Comment

The first picture shows our GI's towing a Pdr ...the 2nd shot shows Australians . The Gun weighs 1700 pounds so , the Jeep can tow it but ...it moans :)
                Attached Files

Comment

After years of "service" ...my 880's 318 is on it's way out. So , I bought a remanufactured 318 from S&S Engines in Washington and it came in yesterday. They seemed to offer the best Warranty and were great to deal with ...hope I made the right choice.
                  Anyway ...I've been saving 2 -1/4 panels, a NOS grill , 2 bumpers(F&R), 2 doors and a stripped,complete 880 cab . They've been in storage for 20 years so they are in good shape. The mechanic said we might as well switch everything now since we're putting a new Motor in it ...hopefully I'll end up with a "new" pickup in the end.

Comment

After reading about the Dodge Amp Meter problems and wire that goes through the firewall melting ..I started searching for other "points" to watch for when we switch the Cab ...that's how I found your Forum !
                    One of the Dodge parts Companies told me not to switch that Amp Meter since it has not melted yet ..he said I might be ok.
                    kinda worries me though ...........

I plan on keeping my Dodges a long time so ..I want to make sure everything is done right.

Comment

Sounds like you are going about it correctly.
                      40 mm huh.......= )

Comment

By 1941 the 2Pdr & our 37mm didn't have much effect against German Tanks . But they were great against the Japanese "thin skin" Tanks and Bunkers.

I've collected WW2 German & Japanese War Souvenirs for over 40 years and just couldn't pass it up. My Wife wants me to start collecting Postage Stamps because they take up a lot less room. :)

Comment

Hi Mike:

GREAT pictures. Thanks for sharing. What ya said about the 2lb'ers & the 37 mm's is true, but from what I understand, they were still used & depended on as anti personel & also against light armor vehicles. There's one sitting out in this field close by that I think would look so good behind the Beast, but, it is kinda on display. I'm tempted to hook it up every time I drive past it. HA!

Yep, this is a GREAT place for info and GREAT people here too, but be careful, some have a weird sense of humor. Still, ya can't beat the knowledge base here.

Later
                          Ugg

Comment

Great pics!! Thanks for sharing...got any more of the 886?

Comment

Thanks guys ..
                              And you’re right Ugg ..they kept them in use and developed a “Little John “ adaptor (squeeze bore) that increased the muzzle velocity ( more penetration) . Between that and the AP rounds , they were heavy but useful.
                              Restoring it was not that hard ..changed the bearings , bought new ND Tires ..stripped , primed & painted it
                              After looking for a year I found an original Telescopic Sight for it (Ebay) ..also made in Australia in 1942 and with the leather case , lucky find!
                              But I’m still trying to find an original seat and ammo box .
                              Umm …Ugg , You mentioned there’s one sitting in a field close to you ? ..you know , next time you drive by ………
                              --just kidding :)
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X