No announcement yet.

1973 crewcab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This should make a fitting home for the 6BT cummins and getrag transmission. Does anybody need a shorty 727 for a small block?

Comment

I got to work on the crew today and yesterday. This just started out as a simple fix of a few holes and turned into rebuilding the cowl area. As you can see the windshield wiper pivot was rusted out. On the other side of the cowl area there was a blank one. I simply cut it out, drilled the appropriate holes, lined it up, and welded it in.

Comment

Simply cut one out and transfer it over to the other side right? Should be easy right? It never is.

Comment

I put some paint and primer on it to keep it from forming rust. While I had a gaping hole there I wire brushed the inside of the cowel area and put some primer and paint down there too. Maybe that'll help. With the cowel cover on you can't even tell there was anything done unless you go looking for it.

Comment

I tried to tackle the rest of the roof area today. It's taking longer than I thought it would. I was able to cut the last of the roof rust out, but I ran out of time to put the new patch panel in. I did strip all the rust off the "new" panel and put some primer and paint on it. I'll hit it up again on wednesday and thursday and maybe I can get it real close then.

Comment

As you can see I got the patch panel prepped and ready to go in. I'm making a sleeve that goes inside the A pillar so I can adjust the panel to get the fit just right. That's the part that is taking the longest.

Comment

I admire the depth of what your doing to this truck! Keep at it!

Bucky

Comment

And it's on finally! I made both inner sleeves for the A pillars and got the roof section on and lined up. It's just tacked on for right now. I ran out of time so tomorrow morning I'll have to finish it up. I'm so glad I don't see a rusty hole up there right now.

Comment

I got a little bit of time today to work on the roof area some more. The front and last piece of the roof that I have to replace, is welded in finally. I started making these subcollars to go under the roof area where it will weld onto to get it something solid to weld onto. I only did the passenger side today, so maybe next time I'm off work I'll do the driver side.

And I got rid of the interior dome light while I was up there. I'm trying to get something a little better looking and a little more up to date than that thing.

Comment

I just had to put the roof on now to see what it looked like. That looks much better than the rust it had before.
                      Before pic

After

Comment

I got this idea stuck in my head the other day and have been working on it for a few days now. I think I finally got the design worked out like I wanted. On another site I had seen another guy weld brackets onto his truck door to mount the 2004-2008 truck mirrors to. I didn't really care for his design much, but I did like the idea of something more modern looking. I started thinking I didn't really need or use my vent window ever. I taped up the vent window on my 92 and took it for a drive and didn't notice much difference. After alot of thought I was able to build this design. It utilizes all the stock hardware that mounts the vent window. Nothing is changed and it isn't permentant. If I want to put the vent window back in it'll only take a few minutes to do. Obviously it isn't done yet. I still need to finish welding it up and make some sort of interior trim panel to cover up the bolt holes.

Comment

I didn't get a whole lot done today, couldn't really get motivated to work on the crew. I did happen to get the dash pulled out and the hole for the clutch linkage rod welded up.

Comment

I really wore myself out today. I planned on doing both sides of the cowl, but only got the passenger side done. I made a bunch of templets, so hopefully the other side won't take so long.

Comment

And the welding begins

Comment

This is where making the templets really paid off. I tried to make it as much identical to the original factory bends.

Comment

Working...
                                X