Wtb pto type winch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wtb pto type winch

Im looking for a pto winch for my truck. Interested in any size shape and type.

Zfleckner@gmail.com

What truck do you have?

C.D.
    1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
    1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
    2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
    1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
    1954 Ford 860 tractor
    1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
    UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

Originally posted by Cheyenne Dave View Post
      What truck do you have?

C.D.
      i have a 73 club cab short bed that now has 3/4 4x4 running gear and the transmission im putting in has a forward pto and the transfer case has a rear pto (it was off a 74 dodge 1 ton fire truck)

I am looking for a small enough winch i can pick up by my self basically. I may permanently mount one in the front of my truck,

or do a receiver type so i can move it from front to rear by just unhooking the drive shaft and carrying it to the rear

do you have a winch??

Comment

Originally posted by Oldred89 View Post
        i have a 73 club cab short bed that now has 3/4 4x4 running gear and the transmission im putting in has a forward pto and the transfer case has a rear pto (it was off a 74 dodge 1 ton fire truck)

I am looking for a small enough winch i can pick up by my self basically. I may permanently mount one in the front of my truck,

or do a receiver type so i can move it from front to rear by just unhooking the drive shaft and carrying it to the rear

do you have a winch??
        If you are interested in a winch that you can quickly mount to receivers at either end of the truck, you may want to think about a hydraulic winch or a hydraulic conversion for a PTO or electric winch. If you have any fabrication talents, you can convert your own electric or PTO winch to hydraulic drive. The main componants would be a driving pump connected to the output shaft of either of your PTO boxes and a driven pump connected to the input shaft of the PTO winch and/or in place of the electric motor of the electric winch. One pump can supply hydraulic fluid to both the front and rear of the truck. Each end of the vehicle would have quick connect hydraulic fittings like those found on tractors. Then you would have "plug and play" at either end.

Add a third receiver and quick connect hydraulic fittings at the front of your pickup bed for pulling heavy objects into the bed. You can even add a receiver and quick connects at either side of the truck and use the winch to pull the truck sideways out of a ditch. The possibilities are endless.

Comment

I like the hydraulic idea. I'll have to do some searching on hydraulic pumps and converting winches. Thanks!

Originally posted by Clint Dixon View Post
          If you are interested in a winch that you can quickly mount to receivers at either end of the truck, you may want to think about a hydraulic winch or a hydraulic conversion for a PTO or electric winch. If you have any fabrication talents, you can convert your own electric or PTO winch to hydraulic drive. The main componants would be a driving pump connected to the output shaft of either of your PTO boxes and a driven pump connected to the input shaft of the PTO winch and/or in place of the electric motor of the electric winch. One pump can supply hydraulic fluid to both the front and rear of the truck. Each end of the vehicle would have quick connect hydraulic fittings like those found on tractors. Then you would have "plug and play" at either end.

Add a third receiver and quick connect hydraulic fittings at the front of your pickup bed for pulling heavy objects into the bed. You can even add a receiver and quick connects at either side of the truck and use the winch to pull the truck sideways out of a ditch. The possibilities are endless.

Comment

Generally an electric winch would be the easiest to move around and hook up. I have an electric 8000# rated winch that mounts in a receiver on my Ramcharger. I keep it in the back and put it in place when I need it. I put on welding cables with disconnects and cable clamps so to use in the back I can just hook it up to a loose battery in the back, and in the front hook to the vehical battery. There is no way you are going to remove a winch like a MU2 with 200' of cable on it without help. My electric winch is heavy enough for me to move from the receiver to the back of the truck. Another plus is the engine does not have to run to make the winch work. By the time you buy all your hydraulic stuff like pump (pto or engine driven), spool valve, reservoir tank, hoses, fittings, hydraulic motor, and pto winch you could probably buy two electric winches and permantly mount one to the front and one to the back. Just my opinion.
            1949 B-1 PW
            1950 B-2 PW
            1965 WM300
            1968 D200 camper special (W200 conversion)
            1970 Challenger RT 383
            1987 Ramcharger 4x4
            1991.5 W250 diesel
            1999 Jeep Cherokee limited 4x4
            2008 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Comment

Lu-2

Don't have one, but a Braden LU-2 might be a good fit. As I recall, they are lighter than the MU-2 and are era correct for your truck. There may be one for sale at www.powerwagonparts.com .
              DavidGB

Comment

I fully agree that electric is going to be the easiest to move around.

I just like the idea of keeping the truck more period correct.

But the money might change my mind when I get to the decision making point.

Comment

You need one of these.

Braden LU-2 that Dodge offered on W200/W300 til 1974

Bucky
                  Attached Files

Comment

That's what I'm looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldred89 View Post
                      That's what I'm looking for.
                      I have an interested party in it. If he doesnt get it then I will let you know. They do come up time to time on CL or Ebay. These were driven off the transfer case (driver's side).

Bucky

Comment

Originally posted by 712edf View Post
                        I have an interested party in it. If he doesnt get it then I will let you know. They do come up time to time on CL or Ebay. These were driven off the transfer case (driver's side).

Bucky
                        Don't think I want to pay shipping from tx to ca on a winch. But ya both my pto outputs are driver side.

Comment

Your statement: "I am looking for a small enough winch i can pick up by my self basically. I may permanently mount one in the front of my truck,

or do a receiver type so i can move it from front to rear by just unhooking the drive shaft and carrying it to the rear"

Unless you have deep pockets and lots of money to throw at this idea, forget about a pto winch that you can mount on a receiver and move from front to rear. You need to get under a winch truck and see what goes on so you understand it's not "plug and play".
                          If you are really going to do some serious work with a winch (pull logs or rocks or whatever) consider mounting a pto winch in front AND in back. But most people don't even use their winches, and if they do, front or rear mount are usually sufficient.
                          I can tell you from first hand experience an electric winch will not pull as hard or as long or as much weight as a pto or hydraulic.

Comment

Ya I realize a non permanent pto is semi un realistic. But I'd rather have a pto than a moveable winch.

So I'm sticking with the pto route. For now...

Comment

Oldred89,
                              I personally think that your goal is quite doable if you can weld. I recall mounting an LU-2 behind the cab of an old PW that already had an MU-2 on the front. As I remember, it wasn't that heavy (relatively speaking.) Since you intend to run off separate ptos you won't face the problem of rotating disconnected shafts. You will need to be able to disconnect the shafts at the winch. I suggest trying to find an LU-2 that comes with the shaft(s) etc that came off a truck similar to yours and first mounting it on the front. You will then have to make up the mounts and driveline setup for the rear. Taken in stages it should be fun.
                              DavidGB

Comment

Working...
                              X