Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DavidGB View Post
    Oldred89,
    I personally think that your goal is quite doable if you can weld. I recall mounting an LU-2 behind the cab of an old PW that already had an MU-2 on the front. As I remember, it wasn't that heavy (relatively speaking.) Since you intend to run off separate ptos you won't face the problem of rotating disconnected shafts. You will need to be able to disconnect the shafts at the winch. I suggest trying to find an LU-2 that comes with the shaft(s) etc that came off a truck similar to yours and first mounting it on the front. You will then have to make up the mounts and driveline setup for the rear. Taken in stages it should be fun.
    DavidGB
    Sure, it's doable, but is it practical? I am just trying to point out the realities. I've been driving trucks with pto winches for 40 years, and still own 3 with ptos and my '06 Dodge has a Mile Marker hydraulic. I wouldn't think of trying to have double mount locations for any of them.
    Just remember, you will be removing the 8 bolts that hold the winch in it's mount, crawling under the truck at both ends to remove the shear pin, driving the shaft back to clear the u-joint from the input shaft, lifting the winch plus 150' of cable and tail chain, then lugging the whole thing to the other end of the truck and reversing the procedure. Imagine doing that with the truck buried in mud or snow. "Fun"? Maybe once.

Comment

Jerry,
      I am not saying it is necessarily practical either.

From "Though the looking glass."

Alice laughed. "There's no use trying," she said: "one can't believe impossible things."
      "I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."

DavidGB

Comment

And, I didn't mean to imply your statement was foolish, either.
        I just don't think he would be happy with the process after all the work. I personally have carried an LU2 winch from the mount in the truck to the work bench. After having placed a floor jack under it to hold it while removing all the bolts and u-joint.
        I guess I should go back to the magic mushrooms. Ha ha.

Comment

Ditto.
          DavidGB

Comment

For 4wd use I know I could just about get out of anything with a single front mount with some extra chains, pulleys and pickets.

The solo reason for considering being able to move to the back is to pull cars onto a trailer. My family is always towing around something and sometimes the electric winch on the trailer barely can do it.

I can tell you right now with out ever doing it that I would not want to relocate a pto winch in the snow or mud. But in my dry driveway with a floor jack or even a hoist! Why

I've also considered a single winch in the center of my frame rails under the bed and using cable guides to run the cable to the front, back or either side.

Comment

If you look closely at the pictures of the Ford F350 and the '06 Dodge, you will see a receiver under the winch bumper. The W300 Dodge has one, too, just not visible in the picture. These are there for the purpose of being able to connect a trailer to the front of the truck for ease in positioning the trailer in a confined spot. The also allow me to use the front mounted winch to pull vehicles onto my trailer. Once loaded, I turn the truck around and connect it to the rear. You might consider this as a solution. A whole lot easier than moving a winch. This picture shows the removable mount I made for my snow plow on the W300. You can build all sorts of carriers for bicycles, camping equipment, etc.

Comment

Front receiver also a good solution.

Now if a winch would just pop up for sale nearby for 100 bucks I could really start the project

Comment

PTO winch

Bought my LU-2 winch from John Smith (eBay seller "battlewagons") in Denver, Colorado for $500. He shipped it FedEx. It was originally from a 1967 PW but the fabricator I used was able to mate it nicely to my 1975 W200 Crew Cab. He also mounted an 8000# electric winch under the bed which feeds out the rear. I'm real happy with the way it all turned out. My truck originally came with a winch (it was a former USAF firetruck) but the winch was gone when I purchased the truck. The PTO unit was still there so we were able to get it all together again. Good luck with your project. PTO is the way to go if you can.
                  Attached Files

Comment

That is slick truck!!! Is that a rope instead of steel cable?

Bucky

Comment

Synthetic winch line

Thanks for the compliment, Bucky! Yes, I debated whether or not to go with steel cable or synthetic but a lot of people seem to like the synthetic lines these days - especially compared to steel cable if it were ever to break under a load. The synthetic line pretty much will just drop to the ground while the steel cable, as you know, will fly around in the air for a while doing a lot of damage before it finally settles down. This line is 3/4" dia. and carries a 12,000# working load rating. (Plus, it doesn't rust.)
                      Attached Files

Comment

I see you have the reverse-rotation steering box (pitman arm comes out of side & points down, swings in a vertical plane).

I like that synthetic line. My steel cable is a two man job to properly handle.

Bucky

Comment

Synthetic winch cable

Buvky: The winch doesn't hold as much of the synthetic line (about 85') as the steel cable but I carry another section in the truck if I need to add to it for reaching a farther anchor point which isn't that often.

Are you planning to be at the Rally in June? Maybe we will meet up with each other. I'd like to see your W600.

Comment

Working...
                          X