12 volt horn needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 volt horn needed

I am accumulating parts for a 12 volt conversion on my '52 PW.
    Please let me know if you have a horn that is working and in decent overall condition.

horn

Dave, look at saturn surplus' website, he has horns, for very reasonable prices both 12 and 24 volt, also lots of guages switches etc.

Comment

Thanks for the link.
      It is hard to view the horns offered closely, and it does not seem like they have the Dodge style horns.

Comment

horn on site

We have an original take-off horn available in good condition on the site

http://www.flyingtigertransport.com/...st/hparts.html

Thanks.
        Dave in Baltimore

Comment

I looked, and what your site shows is a 6 volt horn. I was looking for a 12 volt horn.

Comment

Running 6 volt horn on 12 volts

There's no problem running a 6 volt horn on 12 volts. Just don't sound it for more than 30 seconds at a clip! If you check the internet for this you will see many truck owners using 6v units on 12v upgrades - just like the 6v starter on 12v conversion- it's fine. In the case where you feel it sounds too brassy or distorted, there is an adjustment screw with set nut that you can turn to tune it up/down a bit.

Comment

Horn

Hi Doc!
              I have been running the 6V horn and 6V starter on my truck without any problem after my 12V upgrade. I originally bought a small 12V horn that didn't look anything like the OEM one. Put the original one back in, and it seems to be fine. I'm generally the one being honked at and don't get to toot my own horn very often :-)
              Tim Ellis

1953 B4 PW
              2013 Dodge 2500 Diesel

Clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.

Comment

Horn PS

Hit "submit" too quickly. I should also add that even though I don't use the horn very often, My three year old grandson has conducted EXTENSIVE testing on the horn while it's in the shop. So far, he can't get it to fail .....
                Tim Ellis

1953 B4 PW
                2013 Dodge 2500 Diesel

Clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.

Comment

Thanks guys for the responses.
                  I am going to keep my 6 volt horn and use it as you describe when I transition to 12 volts.
                  I did get a voltage reducer for my 6 volt heater fan motor; I know that motors don't like different voltages from what they are designed for.

Comment

12V Heater Motor

Doc Dave-
                    You might want to consider upgrading your heater motor to 12V as well. I had my model 65 torn apart to sand blast and paint anyway and found this 12V motor works well. You have to trim the shaft after installation.
                    Four Seasons/Trumark Blower Motor without wheel - $37
                    http://www.amazon.com/Four-Seasons-T.../dp/B000CNHAK8

Only thing I HAD to reduce from 12V to 6V was my fuel gauge/sender. Gauge is only calibrated for 6V. Took me several LONG days to figure this out...
                    Attached Files
                    Tim Ellis

1953 B4 PW
                    2013 Dodge 2500 Diesel

Comment

Working...
                    X