Diesel VS. Gas Which would you suggest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ggg6 View Post
    Personally I would favor the 225. It was offered in a HiPo version as well as an aluminum version. Being an undersquare design it had better low RPM torque characteristics than the 230.
    I can't imagine an engine much more undersquare than the 230.. I believe that the 230 has even smaller bore/longer stroke than the 225. To have a 230 with an intake manifold like the 225 would be fun.

Comment

ultimate slant six

Lets build one
      (1) punch it out to 40 or 60 over bore
      (2) electronic ignition distributer but use a gm controller
      (3) tri Y headers , small tubes tuned for torque , twin pipes with a cross over .
      (4) pre oiler to make up for the problems the stock system has on fire up .
      (5) dump the big dodge alternator and go for a high output small alternator .
      (6) Toss the old starter and install a later model dodge v8 starter
      (7) roller rockers
      (8) if you could afford one a billet cam with roller lifters
      (9) Holley 390 or smaller four barrel , turned sideways to feed the pistons evenly .
      (10 ) after you toss the holley , common rail fuel injection .
      (11) after that a dual overhead cam conversion .
      (12 ) Turbo it

Some of this stuff is easy to do , the alternator , starter and electronic ignition are pretty much a given .

Bruce up in sunny BC

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
        Lets build one
        (1) punch it out to 40 or 60 over bore
        (2) electronic ignition distributer but use a gm controller
        (3) tri Y headers , small tubes tuned for torque , twin pipes with a cross over .
        (4) pre oiler to make up for the problems the stock system has on fire up .
        (5) dump the big dodge alternator and go for a high output small alternator .
        (6) Toss the old starter and install a later model dodge v8 starter
        (7) roller rockers
        (8) if you could afford one a billet cam with roller lifters
        (9) Holley 390 or smaller four barrel , turned sideways to feed the pistons evenly .
        (10 ) after you toss the holley , common rail fuel injection .
        (11) after that a dual overhead cam conversion .
        (12 ) Turbo it

Some of this stuff is easy to do , the alternator , starter and electronic ignition are pretty much a given .

Bruce up in sunny BC
        #'s 1-6 sound great to me, for use in a truck, and 7-12 for a street car.. I don't understand why Mopar didn't develop a larger slant 6 in the 275-300 inch range, (like gm & ford) but I guess they didn't need to.

Comment

What sort of oiling problems is the Slant Six supposed to have? I was told the primary reason for that engine's durability was the oiling system. The 230's top end rpm is limited due to the crankshaft not having a continuous oil circuit, it needs to be cross-drilled for high-rpm service.

All engines benefit from pre-oiling before startup, An SAE study showed 90-95% of engine wear occurs then, startup equivalent to 500 miles of warm engine wear (study done in the mid 80's, as I recall).

Comment

Slant 6 oiling

Slow to get up to full pressure when you first fire the slopped 6 up . Has something to do with the upside down oil filter . It takes about twice as long to reach full pressure on my slant 6 as it does on my v8 , v6 or my inline 4 .

Bruce

Comment

How about a remote mount that orients it right side up?
              Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

I think that is the common solution.

Remote oil filter . Sure would be less messy than the upside down filter . Kind of makes for a built in spill with the way the stock filter is located .

BAM

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
                  Remote oil filter . Sure would be less messy than the upside down filter . Kind of makes for a built in spill with the way the stock filter is located .

BAM
                  I believe (and may be 100% wrong) that there was a change in oil filters later in the production run, (1976ish) where they were re-designed to prevent the oil from draining back into the oil pan.. AND did not spill all over the place when removed. I read about it on the slant 6 forum, and believe that is the style I installed on my first oil change. I will have to check and see what filter is on the engine and report back.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Mills View Post
                    I believe (and may be 100% wrong) that there was a change in oil filters later in the production run, (1976ish) where they were re-designed to prevent the oil from draining back into the oil pan.. AND did not spill all over the place when removed. I read about it on the slant 6 forum, and believe that is the style I installed on my first oil change. I will have to check and see what filter is on the engine and report back.
                    The slant 6 filter on the engine in the shop is a Wix 51068, and the earlier engines are listed as a Wix 51515. I believe the 51068 has an additional anti-drain back valve in it that was designed to improve oil pressure at start-up. Next summer will be revealing, as that is when the first oil change will happen. The 51515 that came off the engine when I removed it from the '76 D 200, made a nice mess. I hope the 068 works better!

Comment

• I think works better is about all you get

Instead of 1 quart leaking all over the place you get 1/2 a quart . If you change the filter from the top the oil will not run down your arm and ruin your shirt . But when you slide under the vehicle to replace the drain plug you will sit in the puddle of oil that was only 1/2 cleaned up .

Bruce

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
                        Instead of 1 quart leaking all over the place you get 1/2 a quart . If you change the filter from the top the oil will not run down your arm and ruin your shirt . But when you slide under the vehicle to replace the drain plug you will sit in the puddle of oil that was only 1/2 cleaned up .

Bruce
                        The voice of experience.. trumps all knowledge gained from the internet

Comment

• I am looking into the slant six for my M37. A little more hp and higher rpm capability. Only going to be used for trail riding here in the Oregon mountains.

Comment

• Originally posted by rush View Post
                            I am looking into the slant six for my M37. A little more hp and higher rpm capability. Only going to be used for trail riding here in the Oregon mountains.
                            That is a great idea. I wish more people would use them.
                            Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

• Ah, the leaning tower of power! My first engine (1976 Plymouth Duster) and the second motor I ever rebuilt (right after my 134ci F-head in my CJ-3B). Ah the memories...
                              1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
                              1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
                              1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
                              2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Working...
                              X