Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michelin XML's

Hello!
    I am currently working on a '47 WDX. I am keeping it stock with one exception. The tires. I have a set of Michelin XML 325/85 R16 tires that I hope to use on this truck. (I also have a set of TSLs on Hummer rims modified to fit the PW and a regular set of 9.00/16 NDTs.) I have dismounted the NDTs and have begun media blasting the rims prior to painting them with the intention of using these rims with the XMLs.
    The question is this:
    The Michelins are tubeless type radial tires (made specifically for the military) and I am afraid that I will be told that I can't or shouldn't use them with tubes and flaps like the NDTs. Does anyone have specific experience or knowledge of XMLs being mounted on stock PW split rims? If not, I would be interested in any discussion on the subject.
    I have seen pictures of PWs wearing XLs and XZLs but these are different from XMLs although I admit I do not know if either of those tires are also tubeless type tires.
    Thank you for any replies.
    DavidGB

I believe there are people running radials with radial tubes in the split ring wheels.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

there wont be any problem running tubes in tubeless tires.

Comment

Michelin XMLs

Thank you for the reassuring responses! I'm not sure why I suddenly had fears that I would learn otherwise. I was just out at the truck and while there noticed that the modified Hummer rims with the TSL's currently on the truck have "Do not use inner tubes" stamped into them. I think I was vaguely remembering seeing that, and this must have been the source of my unease. Of course once I started having doubts I tried finding a picture or pictures on the web of a PW wearing the Michelin XMLs and was unsuccessful. Somehow it didn't seem likely that I would be the first to ever want to put these on a FFPW. Anyway, thanks again for replies.
        DavidGB

Comment

There are special Radial Tubes that they were using. I have some bought for my XML's, just need to get my butt in gear and get the wheels blasted and painted, so I can get them mounted.
          I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
          Will
          WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
          1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
          1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
          1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
          2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Michelin XML's

Are these radial tubes difficult to buy? Are they brand specific, or can I expect to be able to order them through my local tire dealer? Getting the XMLs in the first place took some extensive hunting. By the way, thank you for emphasizing the need for these radial tubes.
            DavidGB

Comment

Here is Some Reference Info I had on file from other Post/Forums:

http://www.gag.com/~cabell/photos5.htm

Where did you get your Michelin tube 16P9 or 16P with Michelin 6M16 Flaps?

Posted by Bob in Indy on Friday, August 21, 2009 at 09:11:01 :

international tube and tire
              Houston Texas
              713-973-8880

I got my tubes and flaps from them. They had a 10.00/11.00 -15/16 radial tube and radial flap. I think the tube was a tr75a it had a 3.3" stem. or a tr78a that had a 5" stem. Both were 90 degree steel.I got the 3.3" worked great with my 1100 XL's I don't remember the flap number.

Carmen
              Thanks to Mike and Brad Z. for giving me the correct info on the type of tube needed for a NATO Michelin Tire! With their help, I was able to find the correct type of tube and flap, with the correct style stem, by asking for a "lowboy trailer radial 11 x 16 tube.
              These tubes are made by International Tube and Tire (ITT) and have the same stem as the Non-Radial 9 x 16 tube VPW sells. They are 9/10/11 R15-16 Radial Truck Tubes, ITT Product Code 11430, with Stem TR75A, which is a Brass Stem, with a 90 degree bend that just comes to the inner edge of the Split Ring, or Combat Wheel ring, so it doesn't hang out where it can be damaged.
              The flaps are by the same manufacturer, and are 8 x 16 radial Flaps that are the same thickness and width as the original Michelin flaps that I took out.

Thanks,
              Will
              WAWII.com

Comment

Michelin XML's

I had come across that page at gag.com during my search for the XMLs but had not saved it. I have done so now. The rest of the info is all new to me and should prove helpful. I expect I will try the folks in Houston.
                Thank you,
                DavidGB

Comment

Michelin XML's

Update re: radial tube and flap sources.
                  The tel. # for International Tire and Tube is "unassigned" according to a recording. This is the same # that still comes with a Google search. I also tried an 800 # for "Innertubes.net" which was given in an online Video. It seems this/these business(s) may no longer exist. I will continue to search.
                  DavidGB

Comment

WOW, Glad i got mine when I did. Here is another link: http://www.dodgepowerwagon.com/best/...tire-tubes.php

Provides the same Company Info:
                    International Tire & Tube
                    1218 Brittmoore Rd
                    Houston, TX 77043
                    (713) 973-8880

Rusty Clark is who I talked and ordered with back when I bought mine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtIY9SH3Y2E Looks like they are probably now out of business.

Keep us posted.

Thanks,
                    Will
                    WAWII.com

Comment

FYI, The Tube subject came up over at the Power Wagon Forum, and Paul recommends Universal Tire in PA.

Thanks,
                      Will
                      WAWII.com

Comment

Michelin XML's

Thank you, I will check it out. I have also emailed "The Tire Geek" which has an ebay store. They have some radial tubes that come very close to being the right size. They have [B]alot[B] of tubes.
                        DavidGB

Comment

Michelin XML's Tubes and Flaps

As a follow up I had a response from Universal Tire recommending the following flap ( https://www.universaltire.com/16-x-6...fset-hole.html ) and the following tube ( https://www.universaltire.com/900-16...rass-stem.html ) when I explained that I was hoping to mount Michelin 325/85R16 XML radials on stock PW 16x6.5 split ring rims. I have not had a reply from anyone else as of yet.
                          DavidGB
                          Ps Thanks for the referral to that site!

Comment

David,

Those look OK. The Tube has a center stem, but the flap has an offset hole. the other thing to look for is is the bent brass stem a low profile or not. If you run Disc Brakes the stem needs to be tight to the inner wheel surface as possible.

Will

Thanks,
                            Will
                            WAWII.com

Comment

Michelin XML's Tubes and Flaps

Will,
                              I noticed the offset hole on the flaps and the mention of being able to modify them for a center hole application. In the case of this WDX I don't intend to make any modifications such as disc brakes. I will be content with short runs on local roads. I did the disc brake conversion (among other things) on my WC53. I currently have a set of old Ford 20" rims that have the same bolt pattern as the Dodge on that. That is a long term project with highway speed intentions not yet complete. I am putting the XMLs on the WDX purely because I like the look and admit that I can in no other way fully justify the expense and effort. Years ago when I had a tree farm I caught the PW bug and could pretend that there was logic involved. I don't even try to pretend that now. Just love the trucks.
                              DavidGB

Comment

Working...
                              X