No announcement yet.

Michelin XML's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very interested in how this turns out as I was looking to put these on my own PW. My concern was more with the width of the XML on the stock rims. Any issues there? Thanks for the informative thread!

Comment

michelin XML's Tubes and Flaps

2many,
      I will post to this thread as I proceed. Expect progress to be slow, as I work 6 days a week and have plenty of other obligations on my time as well. I need to finish blasting the rims and painting them before I can attempt having them mounted. I have some fears re: width, but have also some hope that it is doable. Thanks for the interest.
      DavidGB

Comment

A LOT of guys have mounted the Michelin 11x16's on the stock wheels, and they look great and seem to work well. I've still not got mine mounted yet either. Need to blast and paint as well.
        I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
        Will
        WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
        1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
        1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
        1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
        2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Michelin XMLs

The 11.00R16 tires are the XLs I believe and although similar, are not exactly the same as the XMLs thus the apparent uncharted territory. I also understand that the XLs are no longer being made (at least in R16 sizes.) There is also the XZL (seen on a number of PWs) but this tire is not taller than many other tires available out there. The XML is still in production I think. I was told by the division of Michelin that sells to the military that when they have a surplus left from an order that they can be bought thru an authorized commercial truck tire dealer. The one closest to me quoted $1067 per tire (there were 12 available at that time.) I instead bought some slightly used ones for a lot less. And here I am.
          DavidGB

Comment

The 9.00x16 XL/XZL are approximately 36" tall x 10" wide. The 11.00x16 is about a 38" x 11" tire for both styles.

Thanks,
            Will
            WAWII.com

Comment

michelin XMLs

The XML is 38.7 in tall and 12.9" wide according to Michelin. I believe I am attaching a photo that has my XMLs in the background behind some of my rims before I started to work on them. Sorry that I don't have a better picture.
              DavidGB
              Attached Files

Comment

Forgot you were using the 325/85 R16's, just under 2" wider. Did the Michelin site give a min. wheel width?

Thanks,
                Will
                WAWII.com

Comment

michelin XMLs

I hadn't seen that web page for the XLs before. If I had been more aware of them when I was looking for the XMLs and hadn't been told they were discontinued I think I would've tried to find those instead since I prefer tall but not necessarily wide tires. This stems from my experiences in the 80's and early 90's when I had my farm and lived a mile up a dirt road in the Berkshires. I learned then that in snow and mud, clearance was king and width just meant more you were trying to push through the stuff. If I can't fit the XMLs to the stock rims I will put the 900R16 NDT's back on and see about getting some wider rims. Since I had success attaching the photo with the last post I will see if I can attach one of the truck with TSLs on the modified Hummer rims and one with the NDTs.
                  DavidGB
                  Attached Files

Comment

michelin XMLs

I have come across (somewhere) 2 mentions of recommended rim widths. One said 9" and the other said a range of 7-9. I realize those are not equal to 6.5" but have (probably stupidly) mounted tires meant for rims wider than what I had with "success" ie no issues over time. Those were all locally driven vehicles though (no highways, never more than 30 miles one way, but often in off road conditions.)
                    DavidGB

Comment

David,

Looks nice, the only problem I saw was the Hummer Wheels backspacing was too little.

On the Width, the 9 is probably optimal, with a range of 7-9. The 6.5 on the PW wheels might by a little narrow, but you won't be loading them to their capacities, and assuming the truck is still stock powered, you should be fine. I kind of like the narrower wheel and wider tire look.

You are right on tall and narrow being the key of snow.

Thanks,
                      Will
                      WAWII.com

Comment

I know on a standard 12.5 width tire the recommended wheel width is 8-10". I'm sure they will physically mount, and by keeping pressures a bit lower you should be able to get the tread to sit flat and wear evenly enough. I was also concerned with the additional width causing clearance issues (rubbing on the springs or frame at full lock, rubbing on the rear inner fender wells, etc.). It looks like the 9.00x16's even show some rub marks on my rear wells. Anxious to see how they work! And I fully understand the nature of a slow moving project - seems like all of mine are like that! Good luck and we'll keep watching.

Comment

Backspacing

Just an update re: putting the Michelin XML 325/85 R16 tires on my WDX. I am considering asking Marsh Racing to build some rims. I think the original 16x6.5 Budd rims are probably too narrow. In gathering up the rim specifications to submit to Marsh I found the backspacing on my Budds to be 8". Previously, in researching this subject I found it mentioned that the backspacing for stock FFPW rims is 7". Although I am confident in my measurement and am proceeding based on it, I am curious as to where the 7" came from. Anyone know the answer?
                          Thanks,
                          DavidGB

Comment

DavidGB,

If yours are 8", you might have the dual wheel rims, and I would not change them as from time to time others are looking for them. I'd like to come across a set some day.

Will

Thanks,
                            Will
                            WAWII.com

Comment

Backspacing

Will,
                              I don't believe these are dually rims. I once had a former fire department brush truck ('53 power wagon) that had 4.89's with the 7.5 R16 tires on 5.5x16 rims. It was a dually truck and the offset was very pronounced to prevent the tires from contacting each other. The rims I currently have would not allow you to put them together without deflating the tires. I don't plan to alter these rims. I only have two photos of my truck wearing those rims with 9.00 R16 NDTs on it. Here is one and although not very helpful, I think the offset/backspacing appears fairly typical. I have seen it said in more than one post on these forums that the back spacing is 7" and wonder if this is just a case of people repeating what they heard from someone else or if in fact anyone has measured this. I know it is a small mystery but I am quite curious.
                              DavidGB
                              Attached Files

Comment

I measured mine, and they were 7". What is the rim bead width? If the rims came from a truck with 4.89's, perhaps they are the 5.5" wide wheels used on the 750-16's and not the 6.5" wide wheels?

Thanks,
                                Will
                                WAWII.com

Comment

Working...
                                X