No announcement yet.

Dually question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

None of these are the split rim that is banned from legal use.

The split rim is just what it says. It is split in half across its width from bead to bead. A heavy liner is used to guard the tube from damage. 2 solid bead rings are used to hold everything in place. The rim itself actually collapses slightly in order to install the solid bead rings. You can imagine why they could be so dangerous just from my description. The slightest bit of damage, wear, deformation, or any small thing slightly out of the correct spot, and a big bang was inevitable. We used to have some of these on a lowboy trailer years ago. I've put tires on them numerous times, always was unnerved every time. You can literally picture disaster when you look at one. If you ever see it, you won't forget. I haven't seen one in years, most of the younger folks at tire shops now really have no clue what the real deal looks like or its typical working design. They see anything with a split, and they freek out thinking this must be it, when really it isn't IT at all.

Like I said earlier, as long as the rim is solid, and the split is in the ring, if it's in good shape; you are good to go, and legal. I've done many less than smart things over my years of working with heavy equipment; God has looked after me through much stupidity on my part. That being said, though I've cheated it many times, USE AN APPROVED TIRE CAGE WHEN INFLATING any of these. I've seen one person killed when a damaged ring blew off right after he looked saying "something just doesn't look right", and broken bones in several instances. Taking chances isn't wise.

I need to add one more thing, all the split rims I ever saw were DAYTON rims, used on the spoke type Dayton hubs that were once common on heavy trucks and trailers. Never saw a split rim with a center in it. Don't believe that ever existed simply because if it had a center in it, there would have been no way to collapse it enough to install the ring.

Comment

Here are pics of the wheels. The first one is the Budd type on the front. The second picture is of the driver side rear outside. The third one is the passenger side outside rear.
      This last one has what appears to be the middle piece in it.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Doc Dave; 01-23-2012, 08:02 AM. Reason: adding pictures

Comment

I guess I'm getting lost here; but I can't detect from the photos what you are describing in your message.

Comment

Te middle picture looks like the bead on the wheel is short, is that the issue?
          I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
          Will
          WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
          1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
          1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
          1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
          2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

The second and third pictures show the (reversed) inner aspects of the outer wheels in the dual wheel set up on the rear axle.
            The second one looks to be like a PW Budd wheel from what I can see. I assume it has the lock ring on the side away from me but I can't see it.
            The third picture shows the outer wheel in the passenger side. See the middle piece of metal near the center of the wheel? Someone told me it was a multipiece wheel, rather than a lock ring wheel.
            Does this help?

Comment

I'd have to see more before I could offer any good comments, but I don't see anything in that photo that makes me think anything other than an ordinary rim. Just can't see enough detail.

Comment

Charles, I know its hard to judge without seeing it first hand.
                The wheel in the third picture has a raised darker colored "ring" of metal about 2 inches wide around the wheel's center. The wheel on the other side (photo #3) does not.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Dave View Post
                  Charles, I know its hard to judge without seeing it first hand.
                  The wheel in the third picture has a raised darker colored "ring" of metal about 2 inches wide around the wheel's center. The wheel on the other side (photo #3) does not.
                  I did see that. Personally, I've never seen any multi-piece rim with a configuration similar to that. I have seen rims that had damaged tapered holes or cracks that run into the holes from the center, and have had a piece like that welded over the original lug pattern holes with new tapers machined into the patch piece to renew the lug holes. That is the only set up of that type I've seen that looked like that or similar.

I don't know if these patch panels were commercially available at one time to make this repair to a rim center with damaged holes, or if these were custom made, such as by a truck owner just for personal use. It does work, and makes a good solid repair if welded right in order to save a rim from the scrap pile.

Comment

Odd rim

I don't believe that is a "split rim." What you are describing appears to be either a spacer (placed on the wrong side) or a repair or modification to the mounting bolt holes.
                    DavidGB

Comment

Dont worry

I just took a peek at my W600. On both outer rear wheels I can see where the same "ring" once was. My guess is these rings are some sort of bolt-hole reinforcement, and a previous owner of my vehicle chunked them.

The rings may still be in place on my W500. I dont recall & dont have any pictures of it saved. Its located in another town.

Bucky

Comment

Working...
                      X